• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista v BeachPlace Towers and Gold v Platinum

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be a convoluted question/s but I don’t own yet so I’m a newbie to how timeshares work. I am looking into buying a 2 BR resale week at either Beachplace Towers or Grande Vista. From my recent searches it looks like i could get a GV Platinum for about the same price as BPT Gold. I would probably prefer Gold season to avoid the crowds of spring break and extreme heat of FL summers so I’m leaning toward BPT Gold. I’m just not sure if GV Platinum would be more valuable for trading purposes on Interval. Or is BPT Gold more valuable because it’s on the beach and there are less units being traded on II compared to GV? Thanks for any wisdom:)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
You could always look for a grand vista that’s part of the Florida club. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but you’ll then be able to book beachplace at 6 months

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could always look for a grand vista that’s part of the Florida club. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but you’ll then be able to book beachplace at 6 months
Thanks! Yes i know a little bit about Florida Club from these threads. Again i feel like I’m leaning toward BPT because even with Florida Club I’d imagine it might be easier to swap out of BPT into GV just because of how large GV is with more inventory. Florida Club sounds like such a great program as long as you’re actually able to get into the other places without too much of hassle or places having no inventory 6 months out.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thanks! Yes i know a little bit about Florida Club from these threads. Again i feel like I’m leaning toward BPT because even with Florida Club I’d imagine it might be easier to swap out of BPT into GV just because of how large GV is with more inventory. Florida Club sounds like such a great program as long as you’re actually able to get into the other places without too much of hassle or places having no inventory 6 months out.
There was a woman on the Marriott vistana Facebook group selling 2 bedroom units at beachplace. Ocean view platinum weeks. Not sure if it’s in FC or not. I don’t think that matters to book GV as you pointed out. To be honest, I’d only be booking Orlando weeks with AC’s or getaways anyway

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
All villas at Marriott's Ocean Pointe, BeachPlace, Doral, and Legends Edge automatically belong to the Florida Club.

Only some villas at Grande Vista belong to the Florida Club. If you do buy at Grande Vista I think you would want to be sure it is one of those particular units so you will have maximum flexibility during your ownership.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
All villas at Marriott's Ocean Pointe, BeachPlace, Doral, and Legends Edge automatically belong to the Florida Club.

Only some villas at Grande Vista belong to the Florida Club. If you do buy at Grande Vista I think you would want to be sure it is one of those particular units so you will have maximum flexibility during your ownership.

Interesting, thanks for the knowledge.. is ocean pointe difficult to get into at 6 months? I heard it’s hard to exchange into?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the knowledge.. is ocean pointe difficult to get into at 6 months? I heard it’s hard to exchange into?

Platinum weeks are hard to reserve @ Ocean Pointe at the six month mark. The other seasons should be easier but no sure guarantees.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There was a woman on the Marriott vistana Facebook group selling 2 bedroom units at beachplace. Ocean view platinum weeks. Not sure if it’s in FC or not. I don’t think that matters to book GV as you pointed out. To be honest, I’d only be booking Orlando weeks with AC’s or getaways anyway
No such thing as an Oceanview week at BPT. There are technically two views, Intracoastal and Oceanfront but they only sold one view at BPT. Views are assigned for every stay.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No such thing as an Oceanview week at BPT. There are technically two views, Oceanview and Oceanfront but they only sold one view at BPT. Views are assigned for every stay.
That’s what was being debated In the group and the seller was insisting her weeks were purchased with an oceanfront view. I’m sure they “assured “ her that’s how they were set up when she purchased them.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That’s what was being debated In the group and the seller was insisting her weeks were purchased with an oceanfront view. I’m sure they “assured “ her that’s how they were set up when she purchased them.
I would expect just about any owner staying on their home resort reservation to get their pick of whichever view they want, but technically there is no assigned view to the ownership. The only time they may not get their preferred view would be when owner occupancy is very high during snowbird season.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This might be a convoluted question/s but I don’t own yet so I’m a newbie to how timeshares work. I am looking into buying a 2 BR resale week at either Beachplace Towers or Grande Vista. From my recent searches it looks like i could get a GV Platinum for about the same price as BPT Gold. I would probably prefer Gold season to avoid the crowds of spring break and extreme heat of FL summers so I’m leaning toward BPT Gold. I’m just not sure if GV Platinum would be more valuable for trading purposes on Interval. Or is BPT Gold more valuable because it’s on the beach and there are less units being traded on II compared to GV? Thanks for any wisdom:)
If I'm reading your info correctly in that you want to trade and visit BPT part time during Gold season, I'd buy GV or another "trading uint". You should be able to trade into BPT when needed likely even upgrading in unit size and fees will be cheaper and more predictable.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
No such thing as an Oceanview week at BPT. There are technically two views, Oceanview and Oceanfront but they only sold one view at BPT. Views are assigned for every stay.
Hi Jeremy...we stay at BeachPlace every January and we choose Intracoastal view(Oceanview?)I don’t think you can see even a sliver of ocean from the intracoastal units..Ocean front units can indeed see the ocean..but I would never consider those units Ocean FRONT...would you?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi Jeremy...we stay at BeachPlace every January and we choose Intracoastal view(Oceanview?)I don’t think you can see even a sliver of ocean from the intracoastal units..Ocean front units can indeed see the ocean..but I would never consider those units Ocean FRONT...would you?
My bad, I meant to say Intracoastal and Oceanfront/view. I fixed my post.

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
For Grande Vista I would look into the 3 bedroom option as you can split the 3 bedroom into a 2 bd plus studio (use studio to trade) than take the 2 bd and put into the Florida club as a 1 bedroom and studio ending up with 3 viable weeks to trade/stay per year.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For Grande Vista I would look into the 3 bedroom option as you can split the 3 bedroom into a 2 bd plus studio (use studio to trade) than take the 2 bd and put into the Florida club as a 1 bedroom and studio ending up with 3 viable weeks to trade/stay per year.
Only problem with that is you end up with 2 studios. Each time you lock off its $90 and then if you are using interval you would need to pay a fee to upgrade to a larger size and I am depending on what you want the studios may not have enough pull especially if you don't want a studio or 1 BR.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
@TheTimeTraveler
How does one determine whether a GV week is part of Florida Club?

Marriott's Grande Vista has two codes; MGV and MGR

I believe one of those codes mean that those units are members of the Florida Club. The other code means they are not.

Your best bet is to contact Marriott Owner Services and ask them which code is a member of the Florida Club. You could call the Resort however I wouldn't expect them to have the answer for you.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds amazing but i just don’t know if i want the extra maintenance fees of a 3 BR. Unless i could rent part the lockoff to offset the MFs. That’s where I’m debating constantly with myself. Will i able to at least break even on some years where we can’t use the unit. And I know II can start to add up. That’s another reason i like the idea of the Florida
Club. I could go a few years without even joining II and just rotate through those 5 sites.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s the beauty of BPT. I feel like either side would have an incredible view. Most people probably want oceanfront but i would prefer Intercostal because then you get the sunsets

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That’s the beauty of BPT. I feel like either side would have an incredible view. Most people probably want oceanfront but i would prefer Intercostal because then you get the sunsets
I’d want oceanfront! But you have a good point

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I thought if you already locked off the 3br portion, you cannot lock off the 2br portion. Maybe I am remembering wrong from previous posts. It has been a few years but I remember posts about this.

Since I do not own any GV 3br just 2br units, my recollection is a little hazy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that being able to reserve a lockout for the 2 BR portion of a 3 BR is technically not allowed. I understand it happens at times and some have been able to do so while others have not been allowed. As a minimum one needs to understand it's a risk. I tend to favor two 2 BR over a 3 BR for many situations, esp for GV. You pick up the extra 1BR deposit, the ability to reserve at 13 months and for the FC, the ability to reserve at 7 months out rather than 6.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Dean,

You may be correct I have not tried it as I convert my 3 bedroom to Destination Points each year. I have seen reports previously that it was allowed.

Tcbmcb5

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that being able to reserve a lockout for the 2 BR portion of a 3 BR is technically not allowed. I understand it happens at times and some have been able to do so while others have not been allowed. As a minimum one needs to understand it's a risk. I tend to favor two 2 BR over a 3 BR for many situations, esp for GV. You pick up the extra 1BR deposit, the ability to reserve at 13 months and for the FC, the ability to reserve at 7 months out rather than 6.
Can you clarify what you mean by “pick up the extra 1 BR deposit”. This is for a 2 BR that you prefer over 3 BR? I prefer the 2 BR just to keep MFs lower but if there’s another advantage like being able to reserve earlier then even better.