• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Vista Gold 3 Bedroom Trading Power

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
I placed the same question in the exchange section, not sure which area was more appropriate.

I own a Gold Grande Vista 3 bedroom lockoff. Of these options, which week do you think would be the most benefical to reserve to trade, or are both weeks worth the same?

1) Memorial Day week
2) Thanksgiving week

Would there be a better gold week than either of these?

JustKeepBreathing

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is complete speculation, as I have not had experience trading Grande Vista, but I would assume that Thanksgiving week would have the better trade power as kids are out of school, where most kids are still in school during Memorial weekend. In addition, Disney is PACKED over Thanksgiving week and less so during memorial weekend.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
It looks like Memorial Day week has a higher TDI, which surprises me - I would've thought Thanksgiving week was more popular.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While some schools may be closed the week of Thanksgiving, I think most may only be closed on the Thursday and Friday. Some others may also close on the Wednesday. So for most families to take Thanksgiving week off they have to take their children out of school for a few days. Memorial weeks is different, I think most schools are out by then (except for perhaps some of the northern states). I know Canadian schools are still in class in to June.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
While some schools may be closed the week of Thanksgiving, I think most may only be closed on the Thursday and Friday. Some others may also close on the Wednesday. So for most families to take Thanksgiving week off they have to take their children out of school for a few days. Memorial weeks is different, I think most schools are out by then (except for perhaps some of the northern states). I know Canadian schools are still in class in to June.

Here in the DC area, schools are still in session until mid June. I think NY is like that as well.

As far as Thanksgiving, kids are out from Wednesday onward. Even though Thanksgiving is one of those weeks were the kids may have to miss a few days of school, it is a very popular time for families to travel to Orlando for the week. We own at GV and we go every Thanksgiving week of our usage year and the place is filled with families. And remember: Thanksgiving trumps all other holidays as the #1 most traveled time of the year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here in the DC area, schools are still in session until mid June. I think NY is like that as well.

As far as Thanksgiving, kids are out from Wednesday onward. Even though Thanksgiving is one of those weeks were the kids may have to miss a few days of school, it is a very popular time for families to travel to Orlando for the week. We own at GV and we go every Thanksgiving week of our usage year and the place is filled with families. And remember: Thanksgiving trumps all other holidays as the #1 most traveled time of the year.

True that Thanksgiving is the most traveled holiday, but most people are traveling home to see family. That is what makes it the #1 holiday for travel. While Thanksgiving is a popular week for families, Memorial Week is probably the first big summer vacation travel week of the year. Many places in the country are out of school (they are in Ohio), and people don't traditionally go home to visit family. The TDI for Orlando seems to indicate that Memorial Week is higher demand, 135 for Memorial Week vs. 115 for Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bump bump bump

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several different Interval International reps told me that a Cypress Harbour Memorial week would have slightly better exchange power than a Thanksgiving week.

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Not that I disagree that Memorial week is more valuable but I have been experimenting with exchanges using Memorial week 2012 and Thanksgiving week 2012, and Thanksgiving week is returning more exchange opportunities than Memorial week.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not that I disagree that Memorial week is more valuable but I have been experimenting with exchanges using Memorial week 2012 and Thanksgiving week 2012, and Thanksgiving week is returning more exchange opportunities than Memorial week.

The problem with this is that you are using undeposited weeks. Memorial week is less than 5 months away and will have lost a lot of trade power if deposited today. Thanksgiving is still a long way out and hasn't seen that loss of power. This is why II always recommends to deposit early.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about 2012 or 2013?

If 2012, I agree. Your trading power has already begun to diminish for the Memorial Day week.

Also. the Thanksgiving week deposit would get you past summer 2014 for trading while the other would not make it to summer 2014.

All that being said, I can't imagine either of these weeks would still be available to reserve at this point.

If it is 2013 you are asking about, reserve Memorial Day week and deposit it. A 3BR deposit will get you anywhere you want in the Marriott system. A 2BR deposit will get you to most places.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In the Northeast and Virginia ( that I know of) the school year does not end until late June. This year our last day is June 22, 2012.

I think what is at issue here is that for Memorial Day week there are many schools that are out. I don't know of many placed where the same can be said for the entire week of Thanksgiving.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how Marriott classifies Memorial Day weekend as gold at GV but according to a number of folks here they say schools are out in most places in the country by Memorial Day. I would think they would have wanted to make that week Platinum if they felt most of the schools are out by then.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It's interesting how Marriott classifies Memorial Day weekend as gold at GV but according to a number of folks here they say schools are out in most places in the country by Memetial Day. I would think they would have wanted to make that week Platinum if they felt most of the schools are out by then.

Actually in many cases Memorial week is a Platinum week. II sees it as week 22 but gold at Grande Vista is 18 through 21 (which is really the month of May). There are some years that you can book Memorial Week as a gold owner, there more that you can't. Thanksgiving week is always a gold week.

Looking at week 21 (in fact all May weeks) vs 46, the TDI for Orlando is much higher in May.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually in many cases Memorial week is a Platinum week. II sees it as week 22 but gold at Grande Vista is 18 through 21 (which is really the month of May). There are some years that you can book Memorial Week as a gold owner, there more that you can't. Thanksgiving week is always a gold week.

Looking at week 21 (in fact all May weeks) vs 46, the TDI for Orlando is much higher in May.

I just checked the checkin calendar for GV and from 2012 - 2016, Memorial Day always falls in the gold season. Sure, it may be platinum at other resorts but according to Marriott's calendar, that week is gold.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just checked the checkin calendar for GV and from 2012 - 2016, Memorial Day always falls in the gold season. Sure, it may be platinum at other resorts but according to Marriott's calendar, that week is gold.

You are correct. For the last few years though, Memorial week was only included in some of the checkin dates. For example, in 2011 it was only included in two of the five checkin dates, and for 2013 is is in three checkin dates.

CashEddie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct. For the last few years though, Memorial week was only included in some of the checkin dates. For example, in 2011 it was only included in two of the five checkin dates, and for 2013 is is in three checkin dates.

Yep, I see what you are talking about for 2011. Hey, can you or anyone else clarify the best way to use the TDI number? I've been reading a lot of different posts about it and was a little confused on how best to utilize it.

My thinking is if you want to have the strongest week to trade with, you reserve that week at your home resort for deposit. For example, I reserve a plat week at GV that has TDI of 150. I want to target another resort week somewhere else that is also 150. Is that considered an equal trade? I've read posts that say TDI is only relative to the area of your resort. What does that mean? Just trying to get a grasp on the best way to use the number. Thanks for any insight.