• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Ocean maximum occupancy

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Has the maximum occupancy recently changed for everyone? This is the first year that I recall seeing a maximum occupancy of 6 on my father's oceanside/courtyard unit. This is also the case on Marriott.com as well as the MVCI website. Looking back through old reservations, the max occupancy was always 8.

If this is the case for others now, I assume that the fire marshall directed these changes? I'm getting ready to list his unit for rental, but am not sure what to use here since most others continue to use '8'.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Same thing with Barony and SurfWatch on the new website, Barony shows 6 and SW shows 8 in both 2BR and 3BR. The Grande Ocean floorplan is of a unit with a queen and sofa bed in the second bedroom despite the majority of units having two queens in that room. The Barony and SW floorplans are typical.

Marriott.com and II have always shown the "private" sleeping capacity rather than the max occupancy, but it's definitely new for the owners' website to not show max.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Ocean sleeps 8 in all of their units. There is either two queens in the second bedroom or a queen and a sofa sleeper. There is another sofa sleeper in the living room. There isn't a single unit with a 6 max capacity.

For some odd reason both marriott.com and II are wrong. Marriott.com lists the living room as having a regular sofa and not a sleeper sofa. II on the other hand shows the sleeper sofa in the living room and only one queen in the second bedroom. The fact is most Grande Ocean units have two queens in the second bedroom, but in any case they are all 8.

The only issue with listing the rental is you don't know if the unit assigned will be two queens or a queen and a sleeper. You can notate this in the notes and to be conservative I personally would list a queen and a sleeper.

Marriott.com and II have always shown the "private" sleeping capacity rather than the max occupancy, but it's definitely new for the owners' website to not show max.

I'm not seeing this. II always shows both and marriott.com usually shows the total capacity and not private. For example it shows 8 for Ocean Pointe even though the private is 6.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only issue with listing the rental is you don't know if the unit assigned will be two queens or a queen and a sleeper. You can notate this in the notes and to be conservative I personally would list a queen and a sleeper.

According to the GM, it's already confirmed to be a unit with two queens in the 2nd bedroom (even the reservation currently shows this). In all the years that we've been going to Hilton Head, only once did we originally receive a unit that had a queen and a sleeper, and we were quickly moved to a room that had two queens, so I'm not terribly worried.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the GM, it's already confirmed to be a unit with two queens in the 2nd bedroom (even the reservation currently shows this). In all the years that we've been going to Hilton Head, only once did we originally receive a unit that had a queen and a sleeper, and we were quickly moved to a room that had two queens, so I'm not terribly worried.

Sounds good. I didn't realize they could dictate this ahead of time. For example you can't even book a two queen unit on marriott.com even though that's what most of the units have. I thought they did this so they didn't have to run into someone complaining about having the sofa bed. Perhaps owners have priority on the two queen units and some renters (marriott.com) get the sofa beds. That would make sense.

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds good. I didn't realize they could dictate this ahead of time. For example you can't even book a two queen unit on marriott.com even though that's what most of the units have. I thought they did this so they didn't have to run into someone complaining about having the sofa bed.

It pays to have friends in high places, apparently. Also, I was just told that there are only a handful of units in the entire resort (2-4) that have the queen and sleeper sofa combo in the 2nd bedroom because of the building layout, so the odds are pretty low for anyone visiting.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I was just told that there are only a handful of units in the entire resort (2-4) that have the queen and sleeper sofa combo in the 2nd bedroom because of the building layout, so the odds are pretty low for anyone visiting.

According to the owners letter that the GM puts out each year, 88% of the villa's have a 2nd BR with 2 Queens and 12% have a 2nd BR with a Queen and a sleeper sofa. Still small odds, but a bit higher than if only 2-4 units in the whole resort.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to the owners letter that the GM puts out each year, 88% of the villa's have a 2nd BR with 2 Queens and 12% have a 2nd BR with a Queen and a sleeper sofa. Still small odds, but a bit higher than if only 2-4 units in the whole resort.

Any chance you've got some historical letters tucked away to see if those figures have changed? I ask because I know they have been replacing sleeper sofas with beds pretty consistently over the past 5 or so years (watched them do so 2 years ago personally).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Any chance you've got some historical letters tucked away to see if those figures have changed? I ask because I know they have been replacing sleeper sofas with beds pretty consistently over the past 5 or so years (watched them do so 2 years ago personally).

I think the letters for the last few years have all said the same thing regarding this topic.