• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grande Ocean - Deeded unit vs Confirmation????

richinfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
WE have owned Grande Ocean since they were first built in the mid-1990's and we bought (and our deed reads) Ocean Side Room. In fact the only rooms for sale by Marriott at MGO at that time were Ocean Front or Ocean Side.

When I now receive my confirmation back from Marriott it now reads Garden View..NOT Ocean Side. I know the reason they do this ...the growth of vegatation and trees on the property and for the most part this has not been a problem since we are owners and we mostly get the upper rooms wiht some view. However, this year we rented our unit and the confirmation came back Garden View BUT I was advertising it as Ocean Side. Gardren View would drop the rental rate substantially and I advise propsective renters that I cannot guarantee any room view......BUT Should my reservation confirm what I bought and have deeded to me..OCEAN SIDE. Anyone else have this problem and if so what can we do about it

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting situation. Maturing vegetation will over time alter the view, and the person renting doesn't really care what your deed reads, however they do want to know what they will actually be looking at.

In my opinion the best way to handle this situation is to advertise it as a well located unit in a desirable Oceanfront Resort. What does "well located" mean? Well it doesn't commit you to an ocean view, but in fact it could be an ocean view if the unit was located on a high floor. And you won't be burning anyone if they do end up with a garden view. All bases are covered.

The unit owners should bring up the situation of the maturing plantings and maybe make a management decision to trim the plantings back or freeze it at it's current growth and trim it multiple times per year so there is no further growth.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not much you can do about it other than to request a high floor unit in one of the Oceanside buildings that have the best ocean views. That would give your renter the best chance for a reasonable view. And even if it says "Garden View", you can tell your renter that the unit actually has partial access to an ocean view, depending on the tree growth.

Marriott's confirmations are computerized form letters, so complaints from a relatively few TUGgers (compared to the 5,000-8,000 owners of the almost 15,000 GO weeks) won't change Marriott's policy. Besides, as you stated, that confirmation wording probably gives a better description of what occupants should expect.

richinfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveM
My point is that the confirmation letter from marriott should acknowledge or confirm the type of unit I am deeded ..not what I may or may not actually receive.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveM
My point is that the confirmation letter from marriott should acknowledge or confirm the type of unit I am deeded ..not what I may or may not actually receive.

I agree 100%. I own OF and even on that it says, no view guaranteed. I had to add a note to my renter saying she can confirm it is an OF by calling Marriott, but it definately is an inconvenience.

Regards.
Joe

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't agree that the confirmation should necessarily state the view that matches your deed. The deed is for legal purposes; the confirmation is for purposes of planning a visit.

I would agree that if you owned "Oceanfront" and got a confirmation that stated Oceanside or Garden, you should be concerned. But at Grande Ocean there is only Oceanfront and all-other (Oceanside).

The problem with stating "Oceanside" to the uninformed is that a reasonable person who is not familiar with timeshare terms might well interpret that designation as including an ocean view, despite any qualifications to the contrary on the confirmation. Since that's not necessarily the case, I concur with Marriott's change in description for confirmation description purposes.

I don't think you'll have much success trying to convince Marriott to change its practice.

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The unit owners should bring up the situation of the maturing plantings and maybe make a management decision to trim the plantings back or freeze it at it's current growth and trim it multiple times per year so there is no further growth.[/QUOTE said:
The resort trims the plantings to the maximum allowed by Hilton Head Island laws. DaveM probably has the best info on those rules

Most of us who have been at MGO have been very favorably impressed by how the vegetation has matured. The garden view is fabulous and is a wonderful setting.

Art

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my recent experience my OF reservation says "no view guaranteed close to beach" while OS says, "courtyard view".

I really haven't had a problem with my GO rentals to date, and I do advertise as OF and OS because that is what they are designated with Marriott. When the renter asks about the view I tell them I can't guarantee the quality of view, but the room is classified as OF ,OS, or OV.

Of all the resorts I own, GO is the only resort that the reservation doesn't confirm my advertising. With Grand Ocean I tell them to call Marriott to confirm view category and Marriott will tell them what it is classifed.

Regards.
Joe