• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Regency Resort at Thousand Hills

bboy1234

Reaction score
Just returned from branson

I went to branson stayed at ff at the medows. I went to the grand regency to check out my purchase. I first went and found the grand regency. As prev stated no one on site except a maint guy was there who was very friendly. He said the pool construction would start this fall. They do have it staked out but as yet no construction had begun on the pool. I went to the french quarter and went to member services and told them i was a new owner and gave them my unit number and they sent me to the front desk and where they gave me the keys to my 3 bedroom lockoff. I drove back to the grand regency and wow the unit is big. One side is a 2 bedroom and the other is a one bedroom. There is a full kitchen in both sides and the unit was decorated nicely. Fireplaces in both sides and both sides have a balconey. Seems like a great deal for 1500.00. They are supose to build more units and a club house as well but im not holding my breath. The french quarter alows grand regency owner to use all the ammenties at the french quarter as well. So over all doesnt look all that bad. If the pool and play ground come in this fall as they stated I'll be perfectly happy.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We just returned from our trip to Branson and our stay at Grand Regency Resort. We also took the owners update (aka sales tour) to see if we could get a little more information about what was going on and what the future looks like from GR. Keep in mind the information about the future of this resort is from a salesman and they are always optimistic to a fault.

Check in was at the French Quarter resort as there is no front desk, club house or amenities at Grand Regency. French Quarter is a pretty decent drive from Grand Regency but not bad if you take the yellow route rather than 76 Country Music Blv.

I was extremely pleased with the quality and size of the one bedroom E unit we purchased. The F unit is also considered a one bedroom but is actually the LO unit if the E & F units were combined into a two bedroom unit. The unit itself was up to 5 star standards and surpased some 5 star resorts we've stayed at. So for accomadations, the resort is pretty good to very good.

However, the only amenities on site are two gas grills, two charcole grills, two plastic lawn tables with 4 chairs each. The pool, which was "supposed" to be going in this year according to the web site is nothing more than sticks in the ground giving you an idea where it's going to be. When/if it gets done it will be a decent pool but does not appear that it will be overly large. It's also along the road coming into the resort. Depending on what sort of wall they put up around it will depend on how much, if any, privacy it has. Using my imagination it should be a nice pool........if it ever get's done.

According to the salesman, Grand Regency was started by someone that had personal and financial problems. There has been more than one company trying to take over the project, a bidding war and major issues getting the title to the property straightened out (glad I purchased title insurance when I bought). The issue have caused a long delay in any additional building getting done and has caused many disgruntled owners to sell out. The salesman almost fell off his stool when I told him we only paid $285 for our week.

Construction is supposedly going to resume next year with the construction of a third building. Considering the pool was supposedly started this spring and only has sticks in the ground to show for it, I'm not holding my breath.

I will continue to be guarded but optimistic about this resort. After seeing the quality of the unit we were in, I would not consider it a bad purchase if the price was right. For $285, I think that at this point, I've done pretty well.

I will be posting pictures of the E unit in building 2 that we had as well as pictures of the grounds in a day or two. When I do, I'll post the link on this thread. I will also post a full review to the review section of TUG for those that would like to read more details of our stay.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
How about telling folks how to get to it?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Sure, if I can remember the correct roads to take. I can drive there but I never seem to pay attention to the names of the roads.

Grand Regency is off Golf View drive around Thousand Hills Golf course. If you are on the yellow route, there is an intersection behind the Grand Palace. It is controlled by a 4 way stop sign. On one corner is a newer miniture golf place with a prehistoric theme, on one corner is a Lone Star Steakhouse and on the third corner is a Large Craft store. You would turn away from the Grand Palace and Hwy 76 (main drag) and towards the golf course and many full ownership condo's down the street. This is still along the Yellow route. Eventually you'll come to an intersection that has a very large Surrey Vacation Resort sign. Turn there going towards Surrey Vacation Resort. I believe it's the first left you see will be the gated entrance to Grand Regency. That is the ONLY sign for Grand Regency I know of. There is a small building for a guard that is never attended. According to the owners rep at French Quarter, once the third building is up (and I assume occupied), they will have a security guard at the gates.

I'm not sure how much this description helps but, since I don't often remember street names it's about as good as I can do.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
My mind's eye has that narrowed down to two possibilities.

One would be the road across from Marriott on Green Mountain.

The other would be on passed the clubhouse for Thousand Hills. That is on Wildwood, the road running away from the Grand Palace and the Strip at the 4-way stop, but it is not the Yellow Route (Green Mountain Road).

I'll go snoop some day.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Wildwood is the road. Actually, the yellow route signs have it turning down wildwood onward to a stop sign and then going left. It comes out just to the east of the Engler Block Mall. We use this route to avoid the 76 hwy traffic when we want to head towards downtown without back tracking to either the blue or red route.

After going down Wildwood you'll go past a Red Roof Inn, an Econolodge and a Comfort Inn, then past several full ownership condo's on both the left and right hand sides of the road. Eventually you'll come to the Surrey Resorts signage which is on a road that I think is called Golfway or Golfview. This road only goes one direction as it ends at Wildwood. Grand Regency sits up on the hill to the left looking out over the golf course and Branson. It is tucked away up on a hill and is not in an obvious place. It has an interesting location in that it's close to town (4 blocks off 76 hwy), close to the alternative traffic relief routes yet secluded enough to be quite. Almost like Holiday Hills without being so far out of town.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Very Branson-like. ;)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It will be interesting to see where this resort goes. It sounds as if the developer of French Quarter has big plans for it but, construction moves slowly in Branson unless you're Branson landing. They supposedly started on the pool this Spring and have only made it as far as putting in the stakes this fall.

At the French Quarter resort, they seem more inclined to build condo's rather than amenities. They are working on building 9 but have yet to put in the clubhouse and fitness center. The location of which indicates to me those will be some of the last things to go in. Probably to keep the MF's down while the resort is under construction.

I mentioned to the salesman that it appeared the developer was going to finish out French Quarter first before doing anything with Grand Regency. Of course, he said that wasn't the case, it was legal issues and a bidding war that held things up. Perhaps he's correct but I've learned to not be optimistic on the word of a timeshare sales force. They only know what the developer tells them and the developers often don't tell them the entire story. Sad that I've been told the wrong thing so many times that I have difficulty believing any of them, even if they are telling me the truth.

IMO it's still a speculation purchase but, it's far from the non-5 star accomadations I was expecting. As you said, very Branson like. Branson just doesn't seem to have many timeshares with only adaquate accomadations. It might be getting a little overbuilt but the resorts are all very nice.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Those who say Branson is overbuilt obviously have not been here. If they had, they could see that there is still land that does not have anything built on it. ;)

But to see that bare land you need to visit soon. :D

And, it's amazing how many businesses are for sale.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Branson does indeed appear to be on the verge and an expansion explosion. The new waterpark that's going in not far from Celebration City, Branson Landing, the new Hilton hotel and convention center, the new international airport, looks like lots of developement starting along Sheppard of the Hills Parkway and it appears expansion out to Branson West and Kimberling City has begun.

Oh yea, and the continued rumor that Disney is coming to town. The salesman laid that one on us as well. :wall: He said Disney had taken out an option on more land. I wonder how long it will be before that rumor is finally laid to rest? Either that or when will Disney make a formal announcement. Perhaps they were waiting on the airport to break ground before moving ahead with any plans. ;)

Of course, the saleman also told us that TS will appreciate in the future. All I can figure is they never look at the resale market for timeshares or, they never buy/sell a used car.

Last edited:

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
EOY?

I am thinking about buying an EOY resale. The seller says the MF is $247 every year. I think it must be EOY because it is a one bed. Anybody know what the MF would be on a one bed EOY?

Thanks,
Joe

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I am thinking about buying an EOY resale. The seller says the MF is $247 every year. I think it must be EOY because it is a one bed. Anybody know what the MF would be on a one bed EOY?

Thanks,
Joe

There are actually 3 different style 1 bedroom units at this resort. Last year they only gave us the information on the E unit we have, which was $279. The pictures I have are of the E unit. The year before it was $247. The B & F units are supposedly smaller and the MF's were $158 for 2007. All of these are in the building 2. Building 1 has only one styly 1 bedroom unit and the MF for 2007 for that unit was $183.

MF's for an EOY would be EOY. The unit I purchased was listed as an EOY even year usage because it was an "E" unit. Turns out is was an every year usage and the seller just got the "E" confused with even year. When I questioned the resort (sales contract even said EOY even year usage) they said it was a common mistake.

Be aware that this resort is essentially considered sold out. It is now managed by Southwind Management which manages French Quarter and Palace View by Spinnaker but, there are no internal exchange privledges within the Spinnaker system. There are NO amenities at Grand Regency and there are only two buildings. They've promised to put the pool in since we originally purchased three years ago but all they've ever done is put up sticks to mark out where a pool is suppose to be. Southwind continues to add onto Palace View and French Quarter but seems to have no interest in doing anything more with Grand Regency. There is a shuttle that will take Grand Regency guests over to French Quarter. With last years MF billing there was a letter from Southwind stating that the reserves were severly underfunded. While they did not come right out and say it, it appears that both French Quarter and Grand Regency are heading for large MF increases next year.

I enjoy the 1 bedroom unit we own at Grand Regency and feel the location is decent. We do not require a lot of amenities when in Branson and we use it for fall/Christmas season trips. To date we've always used our unit for long weekend trips and have never stayed the entire week. I have occasionally done online searches and, if I'm looking at shoulder season it does very well. I can also exchange it for other Branson resorts that have more amenities and often larger units. Last year we exchanged it for a 2 bedroom unit at Palace View through I.I. If I wanted I could exchange the 1 bedroom unit for a 2 or even 3 bedroom unit at GR during the shoulder seasons. It has provided us with decent value even though the resort itself is very basic.

If you have not seen our pictures of Grand Regency, click on the photo below and it should take you to our Webshots page. If not click on the link in my signature below and it will take you to my Webshots homepage which has all of the timeshare resort albums on it.

Last edited:

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doug.

I ended up not buying and with your information, I am glad I didn't

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Thanks Doug.

I ended up not buying and with your information, I am glad I didn't

It's not a bad resort but any thought of an upside is very risky. There are much nicer resorts in Branson to own at and none of them, except for Horizon's by Marirott, will cost you much more than what you see Grand Regency selling for.

Although I did see a 3 bedroom at GR go for $1 the other day on E-bay. It's sort of hard to beat that one.

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recent Info

Does anyone have any recent info on this resort? I noticed the website no longer works and there are a lot for sale on ebay. I know the management changed there have been some problems. Just want to get an update if anyone knows anything.

Thanks,
Joe

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Does anyone have any recent info on this resort? I noticed the website no longer works and there are a lot for sale on ebay. I know the management changed there have been some problems. Just want to get an update if anyone knows anything.

Thanks,
Joe

It's still the same except that check in is now at Palace View instead of French Quarter and Grand Regency owners now share the facilities with Palace View instead of French Quarter. I suspect the change is because Palace View is in active sales and French Quarter is no longer expanding or actively selling weeks onsite.

Manaagement remains Southwind aka Spinnaker. MF's remain low. There has been absolutely no word on expansion and I don't expect this resort will ever be built out past the two existing buildings. We have not stayed there since 2007 so I can't comment on the condition of the accomadations. I suspect the weeks for sale are frustrated owners who paid full price with the promise of a resort complete with clubhouse, pool and other amenities that have never happened and don't look like they will ever happen.

On the other hand, this resort trades reasonably well if you don't mind shoulder season weeks and, it trades OK for higher season weeks. In shoulder season we often trade up into premium resorts and 2 bedroom units using our 1 bedroom Grand Regency week.

Our usage is going to change starting next year. Since joining Marriott's points program and having our Marriott weeks put into a corporate account, I can't see paying to keep a seperate I.I. account open just for our Grand Regency week. The resort is nice enough for us and, we generally travel to Branson a few times per year. Now I think we'll save the $89 I.I. membership fee and the exchange fee and just use our owned week.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
is there a pool that we can use while staying at the grand regency resort? where do we check-in? we will be going this sunday and do not know where to go.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
is there a pool that we can use while staying at the grand regency resort? where do we check-in? we will be going this sunday and do not know where to go.

Check in has been at the Palace View by Spinnaker the past few years and guests at Grand Regency have been allowed to use the facilities, including the pools and hot tubs, at Palace View. I believe they still have a shuttle the can transport families between the resorts but wouldn't swear to it.