• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Pacific Resorts taking over San Clemente Inn.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Hello All:

I was aware that Capital Vacations aquired VRI back in June, eariler this week I received a welcome email from Grand Pacific Resorts regarding my ownership at San Clemente Inn, anyone know why it didn't move over to Capital???

Anyone have any experience with Grand Pacific Resorts?? I realize it's still early in the process, but it seems like their reservation procedure might be a little dated and not offer an instant confirmation...

-- TIA

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This confirms what the VRI rep told me when I was speaking with them earlier this week. "we are so sad to be loosing the San Clemente Inn". She didn't have any specifics, just that it wasn't "their" resort to reserve any longer.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I’ve stayed at Grand Pacific properties (exchange) and they seemed well maintained but no info from an owner perspective.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
From an owners perspective (with ties to the board), we did not want a company like capital coming in and taking over. At the San Clemente Inn, we have been wary of groups that try to come in and do a hostile takeover. It is an older property in a prime location. We have had multiple groups coming in over the years with questionable motives. When you look up the board from Capital management group, you can see there are people who belong to Diamond management. The last thing we want at the San Clemente Inn is a group that comes in and tries to acquire a voting majority based on management of a Trust. And, capital did not require us directly. They went through VRI. Acquiring the VRI does not automatically mean you will have access to the San Clemente Inn, which is what we presume they wanted.

There were some other issues with the VRI, but the main impetus is the acquisition by Capital.
I was told originally that the booking for our weeks is going to remain the same, however at first glance, it does not look like it. We do have our CC&Rs that give us the right to show up one year in advance at our management company office before 6 AM to book. I don’t know, I have questions about how we will be booking.

vmert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn, SoCal
While I love my GPX resort, Capistrano surfside Inn, I detest the GPX system. I currently have 4 banked weeks and I cannot find anything to exchange that will work for us, I can't even get my home resort! It's a terrible system so just don't bank with them. I wish I knew what system was better, will take any info others have on banking with another system as a GPX owner. I'm worried I'll lose my weeks AND not get any vacations.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
While I love my GPX resort, Capistrano surfside Inn, I detest the GPX system. I currently have 4 banked weeks and I cannot find anything to exchange that will work for us, I can't even get my home resort! It's a terrible system so just don't bank with them. I wish I knew what system was better, will take any info others have on banking with another system as a GPX owner. I'm worried I'll lose my weeks AND not get any vacations.

Isn't there some kind of internal request system with GPX? It's been a few years, but I seem to recall having to call and talk to someone to request what I wanted. The resorts shown on the GPX website was everything they manage, but the only things showing for exchange were the leftovers. I think - as I say, it's been several years since I owned a GPX resort.

Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I love the GPX system. They release new bulk inventory on the first of every month, so that is when you need to be looking to pick up a trade. This year I have booked trades for Coronado in August, and I was able to book two 2 bedroom units at Hanalei Bay Resort for October. Both were booked at the 12 month mark though.

You best alternative to GPX is probably RCI but personally I find that more difficult to use than GPX. Somehow my prime summer week at Carlsbad Seapointe gets fewer TPU's than what I would like to exchange into - including back into Seapointe. And there are membership fees and high exchange fees with RCI as well.

When are you looking to travel?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I loved GPX when I had it, got rid of my Seapointe week. There were some great deals on bonus weeks if you live in the west. I just checked and there are a lot of nice spring weeks on sale for $399.

I was able to use it for a few years after I sold my unit, but they eventually cut me off.

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own an EOY week managed by Grand Pacific. They do a nice job keeping up the resorts, and I find the staff to be helpful. The maintenance fees are on the higher end; not as high as Marriott, but higher than our other timeshares for what you get. Still, many of the locations are desireable, and like klpca we really like GPX. GPX was quite helpful when fire threatened our exchange week at Lake Tahoe--as compared to Interval International who did nothing to accommodate our need to cancel and replace the week we had obtained through them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
From an owners perspective (with ties to the board), we did not want a company like capital coming in and taking over. At the San Clemente Inn, we have been wary of groups that try to come in and do a hostile takeover. It is an older property in a prime location. We have had multiple groups coming in over the years with questionable motives. When you look up the board from Capital management group, you can see there are people who belong to Diamond management. The last thing we want at the San Clemente Inn is a group that comes in and tries to acquire a voting majority based on management of a Trust. And, capital did not require us directly. They went through VRI. Acquiring the VRI does not automatically mean you will have access to the San Clemente Inn, which is what we presume they wanted.

There were some other issues with the VRI, but the main impetus is the acquisition by Capital.
I was told originally that the booking for our weeks is going to remain the same, however at first glance, it does not look like it. We do have our CC&Rs that give us the right to show up one year in advance at our management company office before 6 AM to book. I don’t know, I have questions about how we will be booking.
Sounds like the board made a very informed decision to have Grand Pacific Resorts in charge.

I didn't know VRI was associated with Capital and no idea that Capital had anything to do with Diamond. Yuck!