• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Pacific Palisades Owners

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to book a summer week when you own a float unit? In order to get the dates that you want do you have to call in at 8:00am sharp at the 12 month booking window? Does the same difficulty apply in the other two So Cal resorts that Grand Pacific manages (Carlsbad Inn & Seapointe)?

I've seen fixed/float weeks for sale at the Carlsbad Inn & Seapointe, but not any at Palisades. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right areas :rolleyes: .

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summer weeks are all fixed at Grand Pacific Palisades. However, the lower season floating week interval extends through week 25, so there is a bit of summer at the tail end of the first float period. You don't call 12 months ahead. You call on Nov 1st for the year that begins 14 months ahead. I called in right at the stated time on Nov 1st and requested week 24. It took about 1/2 hour to get through the phone lines, but no problem getting the requested week. I was on hold for awhile and able to listen to the activity in the room and everyone was confirming week 25s. I will be using the week myself, but my prior experience trading in RCI with a week at the beginning of June was that it was as good a trader as anything.

temerson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering how those seasonal float dates worked. Ideally if you bought in low season wks 1-25 & 36-52 you could still book a summer week without too much difficulty. As for the booking window, did you call in on Nov 1, 2005 for week 24 of 2006 or 2007?

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Experience

For the last 4 years we have been able to trade into either Seapointe (which I prefer) or Palisades and we wait until about this time of year. We own a float week. It is much easier with Seapointe if you are an RCI Points member.

shawnandmichelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I Sell or Trade?

I own a 2 bdm float at Grand Pacific Palisades (1-25, 36-52). However, I really want summer weeks in California.

My question is should I exchange (through RCI or the internal Grand Pacific Exchange) or simply bite the bullet, sell my existing timeshare and buy something with a summer week?

What would you do? How easy / difficult will it be to trade for a summer week using this GPP week?

By the way, if you were to seel would you go with a club such as Sunterra or fixed at a California resort.

Thanks.

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
ShawnandMichelle, For your own use you might as well make the best reservation you can and see if the trades you are offered with rci are suitable summer weeks. I think they will be, especially with the Grand Pacific Resorts internal preference. If you are not happy with your trades, then you could buy at a resort and season you want, and forget about exchanging.

And for the OP, the reservation made 11/1/05 was for 6/07.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be ok

I agree with Calgirl. Your preference will behind those fixed weeks, and the summer floater (like us) but you will be ahead of everyone else. You may not get your home resort, but you should be able to get something within the grand pacific group and to me that is what makes timesharing so much fun.

lauran24

Reaction score
I own July 4th week, which fluctuates every year. I've never tried the GPP Internal Exchange and trying to debate whether to deposit my week with RCI or just use the internal exchange.

Any thoughts?

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
lauran24 said:
I own July 4th week, which fluctuates every year. I've never tried the GPP Internal Exchange and trying to debate whether to deposit my week with RCI or just use the internal exchange.

Any thoughts?

Lauran,
You may want to request a list of the internal exchange opportunities from GPR before depositing. They do not have a huge list, though they do often get Hawaii weeks. There is still a fee to do an exchange. Your week would probably have top trading ability in RCI. Are you trying to trade back into the GPR system for a different week?
Edye

JohnnyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the Grand Pacific Resorts internal trading preference you should have no problem trading for a summer week within the RCI system. Just plan ahead and be specific with what you want (resorts, size of unit, date range) and put in an on-going search. Studio's and 1 BR's are usually not a problem but it does get more competitive for the prime summer 2 BR units and 3 BR units. The key is owning within the group to avoid the 1 in 4 rule for outside exchangers.

Good luck.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be checking into a 2 bedroom at Grand Pacific Palisades this Saturday, our first time there.

Do you have recommendations for a building/unit we should request? Or any units to avoid? Should we just request on the top floor?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Maria & Tim