• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Monarch: Buy New or Resale?

T&B

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 89 points directly from Grand Monarch. Going to eBay, I see I can get the same for about one third the cost. It would seem obvious to cancel my purchase and then by from a current owner. Any reason it's a trickier analysis than that?

Also, is TUG an alternative to eBay that I would want to use for buying used?

Thanks, T&B

Bill4728

Reaction score
Never heard of Grand Monarch but if you mean Monarch Grand? I didn't think you could buy 89 points from Monarch Grand Vacations (MGV) because they sell either 74 or 111 point ( or higher) packages.

MGV sells for much less than 1/3 on ebay, more like 1/6 the price you paid MGV. You should also buy at least 133 or 144 pts. (which is 1 week in a nice TS) 89 pts will not get you anything but a week in studio in off season. Plus remember that MGV sells only packages which are every 24 months. So you for 89 points you get only 1 week in a studio every other year.

For much less than the price you paid for your 89 points, you can buy 250 -300 pts and vacation every year in a 1 or 2 bedroom TS.

BUY MGV RESALE.

Last edited:

T&B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll rescind and look for MGV resale. Any reason to avoid MGV altogether? Other than price this still looks good.

Thanks, T&B

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own Monarch Grand after being Palm Canyon (in Palm Springs) only owners for a few years. We were "charmed" into upgrading for the right to use our points at the other Monarch Grand resorts. While we really enjoy using the resorts, we now know that re-sale is the way to go! The resorts are not Marriott quality, by any means, but they suit our needs.
Bill is right though. 133 points equals either one week in a 1 bedroom, during high season or one week in a 2 bedroom in low season. The points are given every 24 months. There many different ways to use the points which makes this a very flexible timeshare. Also, when you run out of points you have the right to rent, at very reasonable prices, at a nightly rate.
Good luck!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Okay, I'll rescind and look for MGV resale. Any reason to avoid MGV altogether? Other than price this still looks good.

Thanks, T&B
No reason to avoid MGV, BUT be carefull when you buy. This is because there are two kinds of people selling MGV. People selling MGV point memberships which can be used at all the MGV resorts. People who think their selling MGV points but are actually selling points at one MGV resort. MGV sells only MGV points now but 7 or so years ago they sold points at each resort by themselves, so an owner who bought 10 years ago can only sell at that one single resort not true MGV points. (if you want to go only to the great Palm Springs resort you may wish to buy only at that resort and not buy MGV)

Make sure you know what you're buying.

Good Luck

Last edited:

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
GREAT advice Bill!
We converted our original Palm Canyon points to MGV points, through MGV (Pre-TUG). Then, because we liked the Palm Canyon resort so much, we bought ONLY Palm Canyon points off EBAY last year. Paid $400 plus closing for 133 EOY Palm Canyon points!:cheer:

julienjay

Reaction score
SandeSurf, I just bought another Palm Canyon EOY over the weekend (133 pts) on eBay, too! So great! This was $100 plus closing costs. Can't beat it!

beanb41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale is generally the best method of buying timeshare regardless of where it is. The principal reason is that current owners selling their timeshare have come to a realisation that what was perhaps once an asset is now a liability and they need to quit it. When buying from a developer who pays for the freebies offered, and the gold cards and everyhting else in the marketing? - the purchaser. It is not uncommon to pick up timeshare units on ebay and other such sale sites for as low as $1.

aaliyah

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer: I am a newbie but I can tell 99% of the time you want to buy resale. :cheer:

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
SandeSurf, I just bought another Palm Canyon EOY over the weekend (133 pts) on eBay, too! So great! This was $100 plus closing costs. Can't beat it!

Yes, GREAT deal! We love our Palm Canyon points and so do our adult children! That's when we decided we needed more! LOL

Reaction score
good idea or bad idea buy resale or new

have been looking at the resale ads for weeks now, still trying to get everything to sink yet. I was interested in starwoods program. recently i found a resale with this disclaimer attached.------
" Restrictions: Membership in Starwood Vacation Network will not transfer, so the new owner would not have the option of trading their week for another week at a different Sheraton Resort or receiving Star Option or Star Points with Starwood. However, the new owner can buy a membership in one of the exchange companies (RCI or Interval International) in order to have the option of banking their week and picking up a week at a different resort elsewhere in the world. Interval Internation membership is approximately $109/year, for example. Does this apply to all resales?????

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does this apply to all resales?????

Every timeshare system is different - so there is no universal rule about the inclusion of resales. With Starwood (to make it even more confusing) SOME resales are included in the Starwood Vacation Network, and some are not. For more info. about Starwood, visit our forum on TUG and check out the Starwood FAQ on TUG.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hurstcontractor
Does this apply to all resales?????
As denise said " Every timeshare system is different - so there is no universal rule about the inclusion of resales"

But many TS systems based on points, do allow your points to transfer to the new owners. But this information is a vital piece of info that you as the buyer must find out before you buy. And you just can't trust the seller's info because many sellers just have no idea of what they are selling.

So you must varify with the resort what you'll get if you buy resale.