• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Refrigerator Size

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

We have a question about the size of the refrigerators in the Grand Mayan units. What a silly question.....but it is part of the way we travel. We usually bring along some frozen salmon, steaks and chicken for meals on those evenings that we don't feel like eating somewhere else. And we are usually traveling with a family of 13 (three separate families with kids). So, it does offer some benefits if we can plan to bring something.

Any comments? The refers we remember when we were there last Christmas seemed small and we did not check the freezer compartment.

Thanks for your indulgence.....:wave:

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
Are you allowed to take frozen salmon, steaks, and chicken into Mexico nowadays? Isn't the fridge at the Grand Mayan an undercounter variety?

judy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
The refrigerater is small,under the counter type. The freezer compartment is very small. I don't believe it will accomodate your frozen foods.

Miniwheat

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mayan Palace fridges are the half-size, under the counter ones. The Grand Mayan fridges are a little bigger. I would call it a 3/4 size fridge with a small freezer compartment inside the fridge.

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

We used to own at Paradise Village where we had full refrigerator in each of our units. Our frozen foods would survive the flight and be available during the week. Lots of kids to feed.

So, how many flat, 4" X 6" X 2" items do you think we could store in the small freezer compartment?

Also, do many people use the kitchens in the Grand Mayan units for larger, evening meals? We are used to having the family eat together in our Paradise units.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
From what I saw of pictures, there is only a 2-burner cooktop and a microwave (no oven). Will that be adequate for preparing your meals?

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The freezer is just large enough to hold a couple of Ice trays

And most folks don't try to have large meals in suite.

The kitchenette is small, 2 burners and a Microwave, I guess you could fry things, but unless you really have to, I wouldn't try to have large groups as the table will only seat 4 people.

Are you going to Nuevo or Rivera Maya?

Greg

Thanks everyone.

We used to own at Paradise Village where we had full refrigerator in each of our units. Our frozen foods would survive the flight and be available during the week. Lots of kids to feed.

So, how many flat, 4" X 6" X 2" items do you think we could store in the small freezer compartment?

Also, do many people use the kitchens in the Grand Mayan units for larger, evening meals? We are used to having the family eat together in our Paradise units.

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks PigsDad and Greg. Good questions. Probably not. But, we imagined giving the other family members their own 1 BR unit so each could have their own breakfasts and lunches. We have 6 GKids with more on the way. So, we may not be able to accomplish what we did at Paradise, which was to eat a couple of dinners around several tables together, in one unit.

As for your question about the location, we are going to Nuevo on 11/1 for two weeks. Should be lots of fun. First time without any kids so we intend to do a lot of exploring.

Which brings up another subject - any great ideas places to see and restaurants to visit? The more ideas the better.

Also, we were thinking about driving to places like Tepic, Manzanillo and Guyabidos. Any thoughts about these plans? Finally, we do want to become very familiar with PV and the surrounding areas so we can be prepared to act as tour guides the next time the kids and GKids come around. Of course, that assumes they have a remote interest in getting away from the beach.

Thanks.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I could have sworn that I posted on this earlier today - you can tell that I have not gotten accustomed to my new laptop!

The refrigerator at the Grand Mayan is larger than the undercounter one at the Mayan Palace, but is what I would call a small apartment size. The freezer is maybe 9" high, 14" deep, and 20" wide. We only keep a 2 gallon ziploc bag of ice and some ice cream in it when we are there. We do take a rolling cooler as luggage for keeping beverages in so that we have more space in the frig. We don't take food in the cooler as they always check it. We have seen security take meat from some people at customs.

Last year some people were cooking steaks in their room and set off the smoke alarm for the floor! We seldom cook on vacation. We may make sandwiches and snacks and breakfast, but the 4 burners and limited cookware prevents us from doing much. Besides - there is no dishwasher.

We stayed at Paradise Village once and it really was nice and had a full kitchen. The MP & GM do not.

Check out Bucerias while you are there. It is just north of NV.

We will just miss you. We will be at the Sheraton November 15-22 then move to the Grand Mayan on November 22 when my family arrives.

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sounds like we would be able to store a few frozen items in the Grand Mayan, but certainly not as much as we did with the full refrigerators at Paradise Village.

Boy, that would be embarrassing....setting off the fire alarm when cooking steaks. We would probably be capable of doing that ourselves. Thanks for the heads up; we will be very careful.

Also, thanks for the insight about Bucerias. We have been to Punta Mita. What should we look for in Bucerias? We know some friends of friends who live there and will follow up with them.

Sorry to miss you. Sounds as though you have a great time moving from one place to another. We have a lot of time ourselves and are just getting the hang of enjoying the time we have. Maybe the next time we are in the area....

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how long ago you were in Nuevo, but there is a new Mega supermarket not far from the GM (more convenient than going to Wal-Mart) You'll be able to find everything there (including fish) that you'd want. Good prices on very good tequilla (better then Costco) if you imbibe. They even have rotissserie chicken, but if you want one, get there before the locals get off work because this seems to be a popular item. We have stayed at the GM In Nuevo, and the kitchen is small, but with everybody contributing something, I see no reason why you couln't have a couple of "family" meals together. As to your other questions, I think you'll find Manzanillo too far to drive unless you plan to stay overnight. When we were in Nuevo last March, there was a new toll road under constructiion to Guadalajara, but I don't think it's open yet. I don't think Tepic has much to see - as I remember it is an industrial city. We usually head to Punta Mita and stop at some of the little towns on the way. We like Sayulita & San Francisco and you can easily spend a whole afternoon at one of the beach cafes sipping cerveza or margaritas and people watching.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We generally hang out at the beach cafes in Bucerias. One of them has hammocks downstairs in the shade. All the locals come by trying to sell you stuff. It is hard to say no to the kids. It was a good lesson for my grandson to see kids his age having to work after school.

If you have friends there, they will also know about a Fish & Chips place that a guy from England has. It is pretty good and near the big inlet area.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mega Commercial in NV near to Mayan is wonderful.

There is a toll road or cuota to Guadalajara but you are talking a minimum of 4-5 hours depending on traffic.

Bucerias, Sayulita, Punta Mita, San Francisco, and about 7 or 8 other towns or areas are reasonably close.

The Paradise Village does have full size refrig. as opposed to Mayan.

You may want to check with customs or airlines before departure as though usually frozen foods are allowed, there have been times and items that have been taken when flying. Just a thought!

Things just keep changing....:shrug:

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
We generally hang out at the beach cafes in Bucerias. One of them has hammocks downstairs in the shade. All the locals come by trying to sell you stuff. It is hard to say no to the kids. It was a good lesson for my grandson to see kids his age having to work after school.

If you have friends there, they will also know about a Fish & Chips place that a guy from England has. It is pretty good and near the big inlet area.

Sounds like fun to me.....do you also go out to Punta Mita?

Thanks

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We've only been to Punt Mita once and that was about 8 years ago. We rented a car one day with friends and drove there. We were a little disappointed as it was a long drive to go to a place like Bucerias, Saluta, and San Francisco.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not as long a drive from NV to these small towns. We really liked Punta Mita -- the road is repaved and is much better then it was before.

Aimfair

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Mexican National told me that Rincon de Guaybidos and the other small towns in upper Nayarit are fun. Any experience with these? From what we know, the furthest is about an hour or so north of NV. Sounds like that would be in the range of tolerance, right?