• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Question

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Quick question.

I am a Grand Mayan owner (bought resale).

I am currently at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. Does any one know anything about the Grand Bliss / Grande Luxxe units and the differences between that and the Grand Mayan?

I agreed to an update presentation and would like to understand other's experiences, and what the offer is.

Thanks,
Mike

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we toured last November in Nuevo

They were asking $160k for a 2+2 Grand Luxxe, these are going to the the free standing lock-off 2 bedrooms where the studio has a kitchen.

We didn't tour in March in Rivera Maya, so I don't know what their offer there will be.

The differences are about like the differences between the MP and the GM, a little more upscale, larger units, and like I said the lock off becomes a studio vs a hotel unit.

The annual fees I was quoted were in the $1200 range, doesn't really fit our needs right now, so we will just keep our MP and GM ownerships.

jmho,

Greg

Quick question.

I am a Grand Mayan owner (bought resale).

I am currently at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. Does any one know anything about the Grand Bliss / Grande Luxxe units and the differences between that and the Grand Mayan?

I agreed to an update presentation and would like to understand other's experiences, and what the offer is.

Thanks,
Mike

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
This may be the Bliss program...

I’m at the Mayan Palace in Puerto Penasco, and have been trying to find out about the “Bliss” program without going on a tour. Just thought I would share what I have found out while hanging out at the pool and on the beach.

We have heard about the new Luxxe units that are about 2300 square feet for a 2 bedroom unit that sells for about $132,000 USD and has maintenance fees of around $1200 or so per week. Well, they have now started a new program where once you buy a Luxxe, you can "give" your week to the Grupo Mayan so they can rent it. In exchange for that, you get 4 Grand Mayan 2 bedroom units each year for the price of your 1 week maintenance fee. I am assuming this is “Bliss”. The guy that shared the details just did this was really happy because he was getting 4 weeks at a Grand for $1200 per year. 4 GM weeks cost about the same as 1 Luxxe week, but the MF would be about $3800, so that seems to be the “kicker” to get folks to do this. It is a “win-win” for both as the owner gets to go to the GM for 4 weeks with MF of about $300 per week and of course, Grupo Mayan gets to rent the Luxxe unit for mega bucks.

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a pretty good deal with respect to the MF ($1200) for 4 GM weeks. That's just one heck of an initial outlay though.

Guess it's time to get a lotto ticket. :D

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
As I had mentioned on my RM update thread, I did the update presentation which was quite different from my prior (awful) sales experiences. The sales (update)guy never mentioned the Grand Luxxe units and deal as Pittle discussed earlier. He just described the Grand Bliss as an upgrade from the GM units and told me the price for the upgrade which I thought was reasonable (less than 10K). Included in the price was a buy back of my VF weeks for 5 years in exchange for an equivalent week from a vacation club (HSI). Having experienced vacation clubs in the past, I balked and they gave me back the VF weeks but also still gave me the cash discount.

Later in the week, I deducted the differences in the grand Luxxe units although I might not have it right. As I understand it, the Grand Luxxe units consist of three types: the Grand Bliss which is slightly upgraded GM units (500 more sq feet in master suite / refrig and MW in studio), the grand Luxxe units which are larger yet but intended for extended vacations, and the private residences. They did not mention the Bliss versus the Grand Bliss - not sure of that, but would like to understand. There are currently two GB in construction - Nuevo and Acapulco - scheduled for Oct 09. Cabo, RM, and Penasco targeted for 2010. The Nuevo unit is right next to the current GM complex per their scale model.

Other than the size of the units, the differences were explained as follows:
- free wireless internet in room
- 8 months in advance scheduling with no units being blocked off for exchanges into the general vacation market
- 6 rounds of free golf per week
- 6 hours of spa classes / events per week
- carry over to next year if you don't use
- no maintenance fees unless you use
- 50% maintenance fee when you turn 75, free at 77.
- MF is $999 for 2009.

Many of the above are advantages to me now before the GB units are actually available, so i bought. BTW, I plan on using my two weeks every year.

one thing nice is that since i had bought originally on the resale market, I never had the documentation and the exchange stuff that comes when you buy from them.

As an update, I had also negotiated a couple of other amenities since the GB units are not available yet. I called the GB 800 numbers to see if those would be honored easily; they saw it in the contract and saw no problem. Actually, since being a member, we have had good experiences with the grupo mayan people.

Sorry for the long post. As you can tell, even though I upgraded, I'm still don't understand the whole Grand Luxxe plan.

Mike

Last edited: