• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan info

5399sheba

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to cancel our week at Grand Mayan in Jan. due to a medical emergency but after reading the messages perhaps that wasn't a bad thing. We felt so bad at the time as we also have 3 friends going with us and also had unrefundable airline tickets. However, went to Expedia and found a place to stay (certainly not on the level of GM but at least we are going.) Also happened to find a great agent with the airline ( after talking to several others who said even note from Dr. would not keep us from having to pay the $100 per person to re-schedule) and after talking to her supervisor we will not be charged the fee.

rja

Reaction score
In one sentence you slam the GM, and the next you're saying that they won't be staying at the level of the GM?

Are people here THAT afraid of timeshare salespeople? Do they have some secret power to make you attend a presentation?

I toured the Grand Mayan, and it's an incredible family resort. I bought resale at one heck of a value, and intend on using it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a comparable pool area outside of the Maui Marriott or Westin, and those don't come on the resale market for $5k.

The rooms are gorgeous, the beach is good. Food is good. I'm not sure why people keep coming down on GM and MP so much.

sally

Reaction score
I agree

I am afaid A lot of the posters here are deal hunters that consider third world saleman a pain.I came here looking to share great time share expieriences,but have found some sour-grapes. not all though......sally

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assumed she was talking about RCI/GM cancelling weeks with little notice. I think the Grand Mayan is a lovely resort but am very concerned that my March exchange will also be cancelled or downgraded, we spent a fortune on plane tickets and have friends who are renting from an owner and only going because we will be there. It is hard to imagine that someone would skip all of the MP resorts because of the lousy salespeople, the easy solution is to stay out of the presentation.

5399sheba

TUG Member
Reaction score

5399sheba said:
We had to cancel our week at Grand Mayan in Jan. due to a medical emergency but after reading the messages perhaps that wasn't a bad thing. We felt so bad at the time as we also have 3 friends going with us and also had unrefundable airline tickets. However, went to Expedia and found a place to stay (certainly not on the level of GM but at least we are going.) Also happened to find a great agent with the airline ( after talking to several others who said even note from Dr. would not keep us from having to pay the $100 per person to re-schedule) and after talking to her supervisor we will not be charged the fee.
Sorry if people felt I was slamming GM, just stating that due to RCI canceling some reservations felt maybe we weren't in such bad shape after all. As for timeshare people I am certain they have a job to do, however we just say No as we are not interested in purchasing any more weeks. Hope that clears it up. Have a nice day everyone.

rja

Reaction score
Ahh, I think I misunderstood the reason for your concern...

All is well in the TUG world!

dsfritz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan Palace

We just got back from 2 week at the Grand Mayan. We've loved it and highly recommend it to anyone. You just might want to think about not taking the tour.