• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Luxxe vs other Mexican Resorts

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at the Grand Luxxe Mayan Riviera or Nuevo) and have a Mexican resort they like better? -- We have only stayed at Grand Luxxe and Grand Mayan and like the resorts so much I am afraid to try the Royals, and some of the other TUG top rated Mexican resorts. I would love to hear others experiences with their favorite Mexican resorts and especially how they compare to Grand Luxxe which we think is wonderful...

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Royal Haciendas and the Grand Luxxe last May and while we would go back to both, our favorite is the Royal.
The GL definately had a higher level of finishing and the tub/shower was much nicer. A bigger 2 bedroom unit than the one at the Haciendas but all the white stone almost seemed cold(sterile). We did like the Luxxe pool area as there weren't any kids around so it was nice and quiet.. We had a couple of negative experiances at the restaurants as well and no swimmable beach.

The Haciendas is showing it's age a little bit, but had a more "family" vibe to it. We loved how close it was to Playa and 5th Ave and all the restaurants. If you have a car that might not matter as much.... We only ate one restaurant meal on site as we were so close to Playa. It was great for diving and there is snorkeling right in front of the resort.

If you have a chance, try both like we did, but you can't go wrong with either.

as a sidenote we're spending 2 weeks at the Royal Sands this May.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
The Haciendas is showing it's age a little bit, but had a more "family" vibe to it.

Isn't the Royal Hacienda the newest of the Royal Resorts? It seemed pretty new when we were there last April.

H

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at the Grand Luxxe which we exchanged to using a Royal Sands lock off. The Grand Luxxe is very nice but the property is massive and there is no formal orientation to it. After 3 days I have no clue how tonget around without using the shuttle. In reference to the poster whonsaid the RH is showing it's age it is only 5yrs old. The RR do not do major renovations as they are always maintaining and replacing things as needed.
The beach at the GL is not very good but the pool is wonderful. Restaurants are good but we like going into Playa and Puerto Morales.
I would go to a RR-- they are different but wonderful.

kenie

TUG Member
Reaction score
By showing it's age I guess I meant the Hacienda looks lived in and they were doing tile work on the kids pool.
Normal wear and tear and maintenance....

The Luxxe was brand new and still shiny, therefore the difference.

We preferred the Haciendas.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Has anyone stayed at the Grand Luxxe Mayan Riviera or Nuevo) and have a Mexican resort they like better? -- We have only stayed at Grand Luxxe and Grand Mayan and like the resorts so much I am afraid to try the Royals, and some of the other TUG top rated Mexican resorts. I would love to hear others experiences with their favorite Mexican resorts and especially how they compare to Grand Luxxe which we think is wonderful...

To me, I think it highly depends on the type resorts one likes and the locations. The Grand Mayan / Grand Bliss / Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya, Acapulco, and Nuevo are mega resorts focused on luxury rooms, luxury pools, exceptional service, and high end golf. The GM in Cabo is much smaller but a mega resort is planned there. There is continuing construction to make the grounds spectacular with regards to grounds and gardens. I am assuming there are other resorts that are similar in focus but I think the Mayan system is exceptional.

I perceive the Royals as a different breed altogether - largely Cancun based and a more traditional timeshare approach based primarily on continuous upkeep of the property. From all accounts, they seem to be excellent, much better than average, on maintaining the property and customer service. I am assuming there are also many resorts that fit in this breed but with lesser quality.

For us, we prefer the mega golf style resorts that are continually innovating and adding new stuff - part of the fun of it all from our perspective.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, I think it highly depends on the type resorts one likes and the locations. The Grand Mayan / Grand Bliss / Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya, Acapulco, and Nuevo are mega resorts focused on luxury rooms, luxury pools, exceptional service, and high end golf. The GM in Cabo is much smaller but a mega resort is planned there. There is continuing construction to make the grounds spectacular with regards to grounds and gardens. I am assuming there are other resorts that are similar in focus but I think the Mayan system is exceptional.

I perceive the Royals as a different breed altogether - largely Cancun based and a more traditional timeshare approach based primarily on continuous upkeep of the property. From all accounts, they seem to be excellent, much better than average, on maintaining the property and customer service. I am assuming there are also many resorts that fit in this breed but with lesser quality.

For us, we prefer the mega golf style resorts that are continually innovating and adding new stuff - part of the fun of it all from our perspective.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

I agree with your statements, we also prefer larger modern resorts with lots of options. Are there other Mega resorts that are on par or better than Grand Luxxe?

Asl18940

Reaction score
If you're staying in Nuevo Vallarta, the GL is awesome. I stayed at the GL in Riviera Maya, and I can't get passed the fact that the beach is not swimmable. Very sprawling as well, whereas in NV while very large, the layout is more compact. The GL is very tranquil, so if you have kids, you end up going to the Grand Mayan for activities.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I agree with your statements, we also prefer larger modern resorts with lots of options. Are there other Mega resorts that are on par or better than Grand Luxxe?

Interesting question. My guess it would have to be ones that are a part of major resort operations - Marriott, Disney, etc. Mega resorts need capital for continuous innovation and growth that won't come from yearly MF's. Of course, we all know the GM system is a selling machine, but also in many ways acts as a retail resort complex - lots of ways to bring in money to fund the owners vision. Time will tell how it all works out - but the journey is a lot of fun.

We are in Nuevo now - do the infamous update today.

Mike