• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Chateau just sold for a lot on ebay. I asked if it was a lockoff, it was just a 2 bedroom.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
it might defy logic but it’s true. Each TDI chart is specific only to the region it represents. A 100 TDI in Hawaii would like have much more trade power than a 150 in Orlando or Williamsburg or Branson for example.

A.) I agree each "TDI chart is specific only to the region it represents." Good evidence of this is that II has a different chart for all the different regions.

B) "A 100 TDI in Hawaii would have much more trade power than a 150 in Orlando....." -- I agree with this, but it also seems completely extraneous to this discussion to me. TDI is a measure (or approximation) of exactly one thing: "travel demand." It is an independent variable that one cannot use in isolation to calculate trading power, rental value, or how many red-headed people may live in a 15-mile radius.

---------------------------------------------

I have never seen where II has said it is not comparable across regions .... and I have never seen where they say it is either.

The whole purpose of an index is to have a comparable measure. A common dictionary definition is "a number used to measure change in prices, wages, employment, production, etc.: it shows percentage variation from an arbitrary standard, usually 100, representing the status at some earlier time : in full index number."

My working thesis/assumption is that it is comparable across regions. It is certainly calibrated to something independent of each region (not every region has a top week at 150 or a low week of 0).

I am not saying I am right. But I am saying I have put some thought into it. If someone knows my theory is wrong, I would love to see the evidence (either from II or through deduction) showing that it is not a measure that can be compared across regions. Now, it is obvious it is an approximation and not exact (even within a single region). We all know not every 150 TDI week is created equal. But I do not see why it is not a number measuring demand that can be used to make relevant but inexact comparisons from one region to another.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A.) I agree each "TDI chart is specific only to the region it represents." Good evidence of this is that II has a different chart for all the different regions.

B) "A 100 TDI in Hawaii would have much more trade power than a 150 in Orlando....." -- I agree with this, but it also seems completely extraneous to this discussion to me. TDI is a measure (or approximation) of exactly one thing: "travel demand." It is an independent variable that one cannot use in isolation to calculate trading power, rental value, or how many red-headed people may live in a 15-mile radius.

---------------------------------------------

I have never seen where II has said it is not comparable across regions .... and I have never seen where they say it is either.

The whole purpose of an index is to have a comparable measure. A common dictionary definition is "a number used to measure change in prices, wages, employment, production, etc.: it shows percentage variation from an arbitrary standard, usually 100, representing the status at some earlier time : in full index number."

My working thesis/assumption is that it is comparable across regions. It is certainly calibrated to something independent of each region (not every region has a top week at 150 or a low week of 0).

I am not saying I am right. But I am saying I have put some thought into it. If someone knows my theory is wrong, I would love to see the evidence (either from II or through deduction) showing that it is not a measure that can be compared across regions. Now, it is obvious it is an approximation and not exact (even within a single region). We all know not every 150 TDI week is created equal. But I do not see why it is not a number measuring demand that can be used to make relevant but inexact comparisons from one region to another.
Here is what the II Buyer's Guide has to say about TDI;
“TDI” or “Travel Demand Index” means the seasonal indices that are updated periodically to reflect the cycles of relative weekly demand for a specific geographic area. The TDI is a vacation-planning tool offered by II to assist Members in determining which time periods offer the best opportunities for travel to a particular region, and when accommodations are most likely to be available. The TDI is not an indication of the quality or desirability of vacationing in any specific resort, geographic area, or season, nor is it necessarily an indication of the availability of a particular week in the Exchange Program.

Something that TDI seems to ignore is supply.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Something that TDI seems to ignore is supply.

Thanks for posting that @dioxide45.

I agree that the narrative does not mention supply that much.

But I would also say, what is on the X axis of each table 1/2 ass references supply.

1652668642469.png

To me "greatest availability" is a direct reference to greater "supply" being available. But I would also say this is a poorly constructed X-axis from a technical POV. Seems to me in plotting something it should technically either be "availability" or "demand" on both the left and right. But it still makes sense in general since when there is less demand there is greater availability. (They chose the labels to help people understand the concept vs. making clear it was the same thing being plotted going in both directions.)

Supply and Demand are two separate things (and usually where these two independent variables meet in economics is in determining price).

If I were to guess what you really needed to calculate TDI .... the two things I would most want to know for every given week would be 1) occupancy rate; and 2) rental rate (either cash from something like hilton.com or points charged within a TS system).

Occupancy rate alone would tell you much about demand. And for weeks where occupancy is high .... rent being higher is a sure sign demand is higher and gives you a quantifiable way to measure by how much.

In my view the explanation from II is ungratifying in terms of knowing if TDI numbers can easily be compared from one region to another. For the reasons stated in an earlier post, my view is that it can be informative and useful to compare .... but there are limitations in how useful it might be in projecting other things like rent or trading power from one region to another.

What is bolded is certainly an indication that each chart is specific to travel within a certain region. I read it as silent as to if TDI numbers can be compared from one region to another. Seems to me if TDI (as a measure) was not comparable from one region to another, each chart should have a 0 for at least one week and each should have a 150 for at least one week. Clearly, it is being calibrated to something.

Thanks to everyone for entertaining me with this discussion and having patience.

Last edited: