• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving??

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange to Phoenix over Thanksgiving this year and was thinking about taking an overnight trip to the Grand Canyon. How is the weather that time of the year and do we need to be concerned with snow, etc. in Flagstaff and at the South Rim?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont't know about the weather, but note driving time between Phoenix and GC is approx. 8 hours round trip.

We have an exchange to Phoenix over Thanksgiving this year and was thinking about taking an overnight trip to the Grand Canyon. How is the weather that time of the year and do we need to be concerned with snow, etc. in Flagstaff and at the South Rim?

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to every year or any specific year, but we were there around that time a number of years ago and there had been significant snow at the South Rim the week before and there were still small piles of snow on the ground while we were visiting.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Klapkin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn On The Harbour
I spent Thanksgiving at the Grand Canyon once. make sure to make reservations for lunch at the lodge- they have a wonderful view and Turkey lunch.
It was a fabulous day. there had been snow in Flagstaff- dress warm if you plan to spend time outdoors

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The weather is chilly the end of November. Chances of snow are good but less than an inch most likely. Usually we get our first snowfall in November. Although I have seen it over 6 inches that time of year this is not the norm. The canyon is beautiful in winter and a real challenge for hikers; but well worth it.
I never recommend day trips to the canyon, especially from Phoenix. As noted above it is a good 4 hour trip up with no stops and assuming perfect traffic. You will not appreciate thie beauty and the wonders. A better option if possible is to stay at least one night there. That gives you more time to go to most of the lookouts and a short hike.

Harry

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The weather is chilly the end of November. Chances of snow are good but less than an inch most likely. Usually we get our first snowfall in November. Although I have seen it over 6 inches that time of year this is not the norm. The canyon is beautiful in winter and a real challenge for hikers; but well worth it.
I never recommend day trips to the canyon, especially from Phoenix. As noted above it is a good 4 hour trip up with no stops and assuming perfect traffic. You will not appreciate thie beauty and the wonders. A better option if possible is to stay at least one night there. That gives you more time to go to most of the lookouts and a short hike.

Harry

Definitively- you will at the very least have to stay in the lodge over night at the Grand Canyon if you drive up from Phoenix.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Note that the OP said an "overnight trip".

I've been to Sedona several times over Thanksgiving and went up to the Grand Canyon each time. It can be VERY cold and you can get hit with a big snow storm or it can be bright and sunny. A bit of snow on the Canyon is spectacular. Add a night before or after and make sure you can cancel and maybe adjust down to Sedona if the weather at the Canyon turns south.

Sue

Seadawg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mountains, higher elevations, unpredictable storms. Plan accordingly and allow for the road conditions. Enjoy and carry cold weather emergency kit.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Mountains, higher elevations, unpredictable storms. Plan accordingly and allow for the road conditions. Enjoy and carry cold weather emergency kit.
Also, don't forget the sunblock. With the higher elevation, the UV intensity from the sun is greater. Add in some reflectance from snow, and you can look like a Pringle in no time.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dont't know about the weather, but note driving time between Phoenix and GC is approx. 8 hours round trip.

NOT - I live in Phoenix and drove from the South Rim back home in just over three hours last month.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
NOT - I live in Phoenix and drove from the South Rim back home in just over three hours last month.

That greatly depends on what part of Phoenix one is driving from. In traffic, it's easily an hour from one end of Phx to the other.

Carole550

Reaction score
National Parks

My husband and I love visiting the National Parks.We are active seniors with the "Lifetime National Parks"pass.
The ones in Utah are far more interesting for hiking and photography.

Yellowstone and Yosemite are our favorites.
I am sorry to say that even though we stayed in Grand Canyon lodging for 3 nights in late spring with beautiful weather and not crowded, we were not thrilled with the experience.

We loved Sedona...lots to see & do there.
Even Tuscon might be another option for a day trip.
Weather will probably be favorable at that time of year.