• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Government Employee Giveaways

KathyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a February week at Causeway on Gull in Minnesota. Hoping to have a retirement party for my husband at that time, I booked an EV on RCI's website for $285.99. Then I stumbled across information about RCI's site to allow government employees access to inventory "overstock". The same week for $264. Now, I AM a state employee and could have taken advantage of that price had I known about it a week sooner. My tough luck, I guess. However, even if I acknowledge RCI's right to sell off inventory as it wishes, why would they offer weeks to non-members for LESS than those offered to members? Doesn't membership buy us any privilege? I think the answer is that membership no longer equals privilege. Cendant is just greedy. A previous post mentioned the no-longer-free guest certificates on extra vacations -- just one more example of taking advantage of those who pay the membership fees. I think I'm done with RCI when my membership runs out. The luster is off the timeshare gem.

MusicMan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your view is quite similar to mine. I am retired military and can get "extra vactions" at lower rates than RCI offers members. I too, feel that RCI has abandoned the "membership has its privileges" attitide, in favor of "grab every dollar, any way you can get it" approach.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I thought it is a way for them to show support / appreciation of the country. :confused:

JMO

Jya-Ning

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can understand offering these vacations to Military personnel, but why general gov't employees?

We need to reward them for having stress-free jobs that offer great benefits and a pension to boot?

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
Just another outlet for RCI to recoup their points partner expenses with, ostensibly, excess inventory AND provide resorts with 'qualified' tours.

marion10

Reaction score
I am so tired of government employee bashing. That's all.

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
joestein said:
I can understand offering these vacations to Military personnel, but why general gov't employees?

We need to reward them for having stress-free jobs that offer great benefits and a pension to boot?

Government jobs are traditionally low pay and require a lot of work. You have no idea until you try to manage a caseload of a few hundred families and their many problems or leave the warmth of your bed at 2AM to go see to the safety of an abused child. People don't go to college for four years to get into social services for the $25,000-$30,000 pay give me a break and that its stress free is laughable!

Last edited:

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
If you don't like your job....find another....I am not sure what this has to do with the original post though.

Cindy

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
NTHC said:
If you don't like your job....find another....I am not sure what this has to do with the original post though.

Cindy

It was a response to the post I quoted and didn't say the job wasn't liked. There are many dedicated people working in government willing to work low paying and high stress jobs because they believe in helping others and derive satisfaction from that more then money. It would be pretty bad for a lot of people if no one would go into social services, fire fighting, protective services yada, yada because the jobs have stress and don't pay as much as the private profit making business. Sorry almost my whole family works in these fields so when I see a slam that is patently false I'll challenge it because I know the devotion and sacrifices these jobs entail.

To the OP I agree that RCI shouldn't be offering better deals to non-members then their paying members.

Last edited:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I belong to RCI and I am a federal worker. I saw the bashing last night but didn't respond. I'm not a particular fan of the way RCI has handled their operations so I will not renew next year.
Cindy, nothing in your post had to do with the original post. :p

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I am an RCI member. I agree with you that fees should be the lowest for RCI members period!

My son is now a government employee for the last year,post college. He works very long hours,makes very average wages and has a high stress job as a budget analyst who manages several national districts and accounts. Cost of living is high in his area.
Because of the current grade level and step system it would take him 6 years just to reach a grade level high enough to qualify to apply for a management position. So whether you are a hard worker or not the payscale is the same,one cannot be rewarded monetarily or promoted in the same manner as other corporations due to this type of limiting salary scale. Now that he understands how this grade and step system works he is very discouraged at his earning potential.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not work for RCI. But I do have some questions. Maybe I was naive or stupid, but here it goes

1. where can I find the page that indicates the government employee can have more discount on EV? What is the exact sentence?
2. To access EV page, you have to login into RCI, don't you need to be member? So, is the discount to all government employee or to membered government employee?
3. The purpose of RCI membership is to exchange your vacation interval out. EV based on RCI is the inventory it gets if you exchange interval to non-interval benefit, and developer's contribution, so it is not really part in the disclaimer of the membership. It is RCI's own dispose. It does not belongs to the member. Why shall member get the lowest discount? I have AAA member. I expect to get some discount to the hotel that honor it. But I did not expect to get the lowest. Why this case is different?

Jya-Ning

DianeV

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the quote that started it..coming from a wife of a county sheriff I can assure you that you are incorrect

joestein said:

jtridle

TUG Member
Reaction score
government discount

Jya-Ning said:
Not work for RCI. But I do have some questions. Maybe I was naive or stupid, but here it goes

1. where can I find the page that indicates the government employee can have more discount on EV? What is the exact sentence?

Jya-Ning: I don't believe they are talking about the RCI website at all. AS far as I know, RCI doesn't tell their members they can get a bigger discount on EV's if they are a government or military worker. People are probably referring to a website at www.getravelop.com. which offers timeshare inventory, which I guess must be given to them by RCI (not sure where they get this inventory). I'm a federal employee and have looked there for Hawaii for an upcoming trip and I can assure you their prices are no bargain, rather outrageous if you ask me for the size of some of the units, though I think on less demand places they may have good prices.

As an aside, I too get a little tired of government employee bashing. I have worked 30 years in government, mostly state government. In my opinion, at least comparing to my previous state job, the feds don't have as good a benefits. And my current federal job is the most stressful and hardest job I've ever had (although I realize this will mean nothing to those who think government employees are lazy). I think most of us do it not because of the pay or benefits but because we like to feel we are making a difference in people's lives. I've always wondered what executive bankers do in their private sector jobs. The ones I've seen always have such big, clean desks. But I digress and don't want to get into a war with bankers! Hope you have a sense of humor!

marinersfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timbers at Island Park Village Resort
joestein said:
This part of the post is unnecessary, period. If some of you don't want the other responses defending Government workers, than don't post this.

No, I'm not a government worker, just thinking this response is not necessary to begin with especially when the topic started out so good.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
jtridle said:
People are probably referring to a website at www.getravelop.com.
J.:

Thanks for the link. Not a government employee too. :) But if people think any job is high benifit and easy one, they should try to get the job. :D

I went to that site, and take a look and did some search for extra vacation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

First it is a program provided by RCI to all government employee and retiree.

2nd for the interval vacation (TS), they did offer two of the features that RCI member has - last call and extra vacation. (cuise is not interval vacation)

3rd for the last call which the week is suppose come from member's deposit, they charge $199 in that site for a stdio (compare to RCI member - 99) . So they did not try to take away the week member deposit, rather it is more like try to get that week used.

4th for the EV, they charge one standard rate $264, and pull all the inventories from their inventory. Which should be the vacation member gives to them for air, hotel, or cuise, or the developer give to them, none should come from member's deposit. And they are try to get someone to rent it to recoup the discount they provide to the members.

I pull Oct, 2005 USA east region. There are 75 resorts, and there are 88 resorts in RCI EV. Looks like anything over $400 in RCI EV will not show there. RCI EV does contain $199 week and $227 week. It shows there, and still charge $264.

On average, government employee did get some discount on RCI's own inventory (the inventory not from the member's deposit). But they are a larger group than the RCI echanger member. And the main purpose of RCI exchange member is supposed for exhange his/her interval.

Also, based on the site, you are not suppose to get primary season inventory(and if the cut off is 400, they will not get any). There is none in July 2006 on that site but some in RCI site (62) for the same region.

So shouldn't government group get better discount in this regard?

By the way, it does not look good to know that if you use the weak week to purchase air or hotel, your week will be only worth this much (plus whatever profit RCI needs to get).

marinersfan said:
This part of the post is unnecessary.

I agree.

Jya-Ning

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One issue I have with this is that, despite what one might think, not all RCI members are from the US. Many non-US members own weeks at US-based RCI resorts. The "I" in RCI stands for "International" doesn't it, so either these discounted weeks should be offered to all government employees globally, regardless of the government they work for (and the same with discounts available to the military), or it should be stopped. Personally, I think it should be stopped (even though I'm a govn employee).

Legally of course we all lose complete control of our weeks when we deposit them, so RCI is fully within its rights to do what it will, but it is in RCI's best interests to act morally and ethically. Or am I being far too naive again?

Alan

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spence said:
Just another outlet for RCI to recoup their points partner expenses with, ostensibly, excess inventory AND provide resorts with 'qualified' tours.

If they just rented inventory from Points resorts, maybe this wouldn't be so bad, but it really steams me when I see Weeks inventory on these rentals.

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I volunteer for the VA in NJ. I also volunteer to help distribute info on the exchange companies programs (like RCI) for the veterans and gov employees at veterans meetings, Ft Monmouth, rarely Earl Navy, and other places. I would invite Joel to come along since he lives so close to the VA Med Centers at Ft Monmouth and Brick, NJ, and the hospital in Orange. Of course, there are no bonuses, nor stock options available..

Different vet groups help on a daily basis. The Jewish War Veterans help on Friday, AM serving coffee, tea, and.....whatever the local bagel shop and Foodtown can give us (each group asks a different supermarket for help-so each day is supplied by a different market). I help on thses Fridays.

I also bring (in my car) the RCI & II books (outdated) in case anyone wants to respond to the week offer from the exchange companies. We usually need to make sure there are no stairs, or an elevator is available.

My contact at RCI has told me they attempt to try to keep the members rental fees somewhat less than the contracted price RCI had to negotiate with the government ($264). As most of you are also aware, when a week is rented via RCI, II or Trading Places, the exchange company gives a donation to the Moral/Welfare section of the base, fort or facility the renter requests.

Here is a letter we have posted on TUG, TSTIPS, and TSFORUMS as well as the RCI BBS site so this would not be a surprise to an exchange member. BTW- II and TP also keep fees a bit higher than what members can exchange for...and this was checked by several tuggers in the past, and noted as true.

Madge, I hate to cut into your forum...but I just wanted to present this.

Here is the info letter:

Inexpensive Travel if you are Flexible

There are thousands of Timeshare Weeks that are left over. Two major companies try to find exchanges for owners. One is Resorts Condominium International- called RCI....the other is Interval International -called II. Each company offers their extra weeks to government & military workers, retirees & veterans.

The RCI sites are several. I'll just give you a few- they are practically the same, except one may have more choices (#1)

#1. www.getravelop.com (www.afvclub.com for military)

#2. www.veteransholidays.com #4) www. I forgot the general publics link. (Note- anyone in family of a gov worker or Vet can use)

Since so many T/S owners are very upset that RCI & II are offering these weeks so cheap- they do not list certain cities, like Orlando- but you will find Kissimme, or even Hilton Head (after Sept).

You can check all over, and see whats available for what dates. They have more expensive than 264, but if they don't rent- they go down to $264 as dates get nearer. (RCI also runs a public rental site for cotages & homes in USA & Overseas)

Interval & Trading Places:

#3) www.govarm.com www.condodirect.com These sites and II in general have Hyatt, Marriott, and Sheraton T/Ss are here (Hiltons are in RCI). You will need to register. Some hotels mentioned seem to have stopped allowing their units for this type rental..... Prices here are more than $264 usually, however, distressed weeks have gone for $99.00. That was a 3 bedroom Ventura on Boca Ratons beach in Fl. Usually much more. You need to be flexible to get some of these bargains.

Now- how do you know what the place is really like? I volunteer for a web site that rates T/S resorts. Go to www.tug2.net Ask questions on their BBS,

Finally, www.vrbo.com is where you can rent for a month or longer. These are not T/Ss but private rentals. A few other exchange companies give weeks to all for $99.00 & up. search Google for Dial an Exchange (free to join) or SFX (San Francisco Exchange. (also free to join lowest group)

Last edited:

JEFF H

Reaction score
KenK said:
My contact at RCI has told me they attempt to try to keep the members rental fees somewhat less than the contracted price RCI had to negotiate with the government ($264).

RCI might attempt but they often fall short.
I Think most RCI members have no problem with these programs if RCI members could infact book these same weeks for slightly Less than the Goverment rate.
I have personally found RCI member prices that are higher and others have reported the same.
II and trading places have no problem making sure that there members get a lower price so why Can't RCI insure the same.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Places has responded on anyone t/s site that their rentals come from their inventory as a MANAGEMENT COMPANY for a number of resorts rather than their exchange program, a VERY big difference.

DAE does NOT rent to anyone in the general public. One has to be a MEMBER, and that requires being a timeshare OWNER or owning AND depositing a non-timeshare resort property week for exchange into their system. I am not as familiar with SFX, but I beleive it is much the same with their last minute rentals. I have not seen any SFX rentals from exchange deposits except last minute inventory and the same is true of DAE.

KenK said:
As some of you know, I volunteer for the VA in NJ. I also volunteer to help distribute info on the exchange companies programs (like RCI) for the veterans and gov employees at veterans meetings, Ft Monmouth, rarely Earl Navy, and other places. I would invite Joel to come along since he lives so close to the VA Med Centers at Ft Monmouth and Brick, NJ, and the hospital in Orange. Of course, there are no bonuses, nor stock options available..

Different vet groups help on a daily basis. The Jewish War Veterans help on Friday, AM serving coffee, tea, and.....whatever the local bagel shop and Foodtown can give us (each group asks a different supermarket for help-so each day is supplied by a different market). I help on thses Fridays.

I also bring (in my car) the RCI & II books (outdated) in case anyone wants to respond to the week offer from the exchange companies. We usually need to make sure there are no stairs, or an elevator is available.

My contact at RCI has told me they attempt to try to keep the members rental fees somewhat less than the contracted price RCI had to negotiate with the government ($264). As most of you are also aware, when a week is rented via RCI, II or Trading Places, the exchange company gives a donation to the Moral/Welfare section of the base, fort or facility the renter requests.

Here is a letter we have posted on TUG, TSTIPS, and TSFORUMS as well as the RCI BBS site so this would not be a surprise to an exchange member. BTW- II and TP also keep fees a bit higher than what members can exchange for...and this was checked by several tuggers in the past, and noted as true.

Madge, I hate to cut into your forum...but I just wanted to present this.

Here is the info letter:

Inexpensive Travel if you are Flexible

There are thousands of Timeshare Weeks that are left over. Two major companies try to find exchanges for owners. One is Resorts Condominium International- called RCI....the other is Interval International -called II. Each company offers their extra weeks to government & military workers, retirees & veterans.

The RCI sites are several. I'll just give you a few- they are practically the same, except one may have more choices (#1)

#1. www.getravelop.com (www.afvclub.com for military)

#2. www.veteransholidays.com #4) www. I forgot the general publics link. (Note- anyone in family of a gov worker or Vet can use)

Since so many T/S owners are very upset that RCI & II are offering these weeks so cheap- they do not list certain cities, like Orlando- but you will find Kissimme, or even Hilton Head (after Sept).

You can check all over, and see whats available for what dates. They have more expensive than 264, but if they don't rent- they go down to $264 as dates get nearer. (RCI also runs a public rental site for cotages & homes in USA & Overseas)

Interval & Trading Places:

#3) www.govarm.com www.condodirect.com These sites and II in general have Hyatt, Marriott, and Sheraton T/Ss are here (Hiltons are in RCI). You will need to register. Some hotels mentioned seem to have stopped allowing their units for this type rental..... Prices here are more than $264 usually, however, distressed weeks have gone for $99.00. That was a 3 bedroom Ventura on Boca Ratons beach in Fl. Usually much more. You need to be flexible to get some of these bargains.

Now- how do you know what the place is really like? I volunteer for a web site that rates T/S resorts. Go to www.tug2.net Ask questions on their BBS,

Finally, www.vrbo.com is where you can rent for a month or longer. These are not T/Ss but private rentals. A few other exchange companies give weeks to all for $99.00 & up. search Google for Dial an Exchange (free to join) or SFX (San Francisco Exchange. (also free to join lowest group)

Aldo

Reaction score
RCI is without question one of the greediest companies it has been my misfortune to ever get involved with.

This isn't about government employees..it's all about this so-called "membership."

Members should get a better deal than non-members. It's that simple.

OK, I'm asking RCI, why should we continue to pay dues and fees to you if members have to pay more for the same stuff than non-members?

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the states but in Canada if it wasn't for the govt workers then planes would not be able to land or take off, hospitals wouldn't be staffed (due to nationalized medical care), kids would not be able to go to school (as there would not be teachers), pensioners would not receive their pension cheques and neither would the sick and needy be provided social assistance (for shelter as well as food), etc etc. I would be very careful when bashing govt workers because chances are that you WILL need them one day (if you already haven't utilized any of the services offered).