• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gov Ige Says No Shutdown Planned for Hawaii

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
For those of us with plans to go to Hawaii in the next month or two, this is very good news. Hope their numbers continue the recent improvement with new cases slowing and hospitalizations declining.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Maui now, and the news this morning reported that American and Hawaiian Airlines are cutting flights through the rest of the year because demand just isn’t there. It’s expected other airlines will cut flights as well.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The governor and mayors already tanked travel throughout the fall. So now they are saying it's okay to come???

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
In Kauai now and saw the news this morning. While he isn’t planning another shutdown, he did mention several potential changes for gatherings on Oahu (not the other islands at this time), one of which would reduce the already extremely restricted restaurant seating capacity from 10 to 5 inside and from 20 to 10 outside. This would effectively close many restaurants.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hopefully things are good to go by winter. I'm sure that masks and distancing will likely be in place this winter. We cancelled last years trip and deposited the weeks. Still dealing with airline credits from last year that will likely expire.

Bill

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Masks and distancing are definitely in order, but Maui is open for business. The locals we've talked to are glad we're here. At 6pm, we were able to walk into just about any restaurant along the beach on Ka'anapali for a sunset dinner. It was a bit weird, but very nice (for us) not to deal with the normal crowds.

This turtle enjoyed the lack of crowds in front of Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, too.

IMG_2821.jpg

This was a nice way to start today!

Maui rainbow.jpg

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In Kauai now and saw the news this morning. While he isn’t planning another shutdown, he did mention several potential changes for gatherings on Oahu (not the other islands at this time), one of which would reduce the already extremely restricted restaurant seating capacity from 10 to 5 inside and from 20 to 10 outside. This would effectively close many restaurants.

My understanding of the rules are the “gathering” limitations are targeted at group gatherings and don’t explicitly apply to restaurants. Those are restricted to 50% capacity with 6 feet between tables, and on Oahu and Maui proof of vaccination.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Masks and distancing are definitely in order, but Maui is open for business. The locals we've talked to are glad we're here. At 6pm, we were able to walk into just about any restaurant along the beach on Ka'anapali for a sunset dinner. It was a bit weird, but very nice (for us) not to deal with the normal crowds.

This turtle enjoyed the lack of crowds in front of Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, too.

View attachment 39977

This was a nice way to start today!

View attachment 39976
Wonderful photo.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
We’re still holding flights and reservation (and of course a rental car) for Kings Land in about three weeks. The trends have been better and hopefully they continue to improve. The leg we have into KOA is from Denver and those flights have been about 1/2 full. Once on the island we’ll probably tour a little but mainly stick to the golf course, resort pool and maybe a beach or two. We are not big diners out, so some food from Costco for the kitchen/grill will probably be good for most of our meals.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We’re still holding flights and reservation (and of course a rental car) for Kings Land in about three weeks. The trends have been better and hopefully they continue to improve. The leg we have into KOA is from Denver and those flights have been about 1/2 full. Once on the island we’ll probably tour a little but mainly stick to the golf course, resort pool and maybe a beach or two. We are not big diners out, so some food from Costco for the kitchen/grill will probably be good for most of our meals.

That’s interesting on the flight out of DEN. Our flight from PHX to Kauai on Oct 9 is still showing 75% to 80% full based on the online seat map and our flight out of Maui to DFW a couple weeks later on a 777 wide body also looks to be about 80% booked still.

We dine out every night and are still seeing restaurants fully booked on Open Table. Fortunately we have every night already booked on Kauai and have three nights left on Maui which we are saving for restaurants that only book 30 days out.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding of the rules are the “gathering” limitations are targeted at group gatherings and don’t explicitly apply to restaurants. Those are restricted to 50% capacity with 6 feet between tables, and on Oahu and Maui proof of vaccination.
Gathering restrictions to apply to restaurants in addition to 50% capacity and 6 feet apart. Earlier this year my friends family was separated at a restaurant.. current indoor seating per table on oahu is 10.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Gathering restrictions to apply to restaurants in addition to 50% capacity and 6 feet apart. Earlier this year my friends family was separated at a restaurant.. current indoor seating per table on oahu is 10.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. The gathering restrictions restrict the max number per table, but do not restrict the total restaurant capacity to the 10 person limit as @sjlola implied in the earlier post. Restaurant capacity is determined by the 50% limitation plus the 6 ft spacing.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Gathering sizes on the BI are already 10 and 10

There are expected another 35ish deaths in the next 7to 15 days. The survival rate for those on ventilators is about 50% and we have about 70 state wide

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Gathering sizes on the BI are already 10 and 10

There are expected another 35ish deaths in the next 7to 15 days. The survival rate for those on ventilators is about 50% and we have about 70 state wide
But the number of hospitalized covid patients is on a steady drop, as is the number of new cases. It’s still up there, but the trend is good.

We’ve been in Oahu just a couple days, but not finding any real issues with getting into restaurants, etc. It does help a bit that we’re still on California time, so we get dinner a bit earlier than many.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
That makes sense. The gathering restrictions restrict the max number per table, but do not restrict the total restaurant capacity to the 10 person limit as @sjlola implied in the earlier post. Restaurant capacity is determined by the 50% limitation plus the 6 ft spacing.
Thanks for the important correction, @JIMinNC! Chalk it up to jet lag.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm wondering if the gathering size restriction applies to boat sailing tours? I have a res and am keeping my fingers crossed...

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I'm wondering if the gathering size restriction applies to boat sailing tours? I have a res and am keeping my fingers crossed...
It did last winter when I was on Maui and had same rules. Ultimate Whale had reduced occupancy with rates increased like their small group trips.

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
I'm on Big Island now. Everything is good. They are happy to see you bring your masks. Charge your phone for showing your Hawaii safe travel account everywhere at check-in. Then enjoy the aloha spirit

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Activities like boat tours are limited to 50% capacity. Here is the wording from the Maui County ordinance:

Commercial recreational boating may operate with 50% capacity, and shall implement protocols to ensure that households/living units and groups maintain proper physical distancing of at least six (6) feet from each other; service and consumption of food or drinks within the vessel cabin (if any) is consistent with the “Restaurants/Bars” Rules, except that confirmation of vaccination or negative COVID testing is encouraged but not required.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I have a reservation on a sunset cocktail cruise. They haven't cancelled me. But, I wouldn't completely be surprised if they did.... more news at 11 pm....

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I have a reservation on a sunset cocktail cruise. They haven't cancelled me. But, I wouldn't completely be surprised if they did.... more news at 11 pm....

We have two Maui boat cruise reservations, one of which was made just a few days ago, after the new rules started, so I assume at least that most recent one was only booking up to the max capacity allowed. The other was booked about two months ago, so if they do priority based on booking date, I'm hoping we'll be OK if they wind up over booked. That one's on Trilogy, so since they don't usually pack their boats like some operators do, I'm hoping we'll be OK either way.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We have two Maui boat cruise reservations, one of which was made just a few days ago, after the new rules started, so I assume at least that most recent one was only booking up to the max capacity allowed. The other was booked about two months ago, so if they do priority based on booking date, I'm hoping we'll be OK if they wind up over booked. That one's on Trilogy, so since they don't usually pack their boats like some operators do, I'm hoping we'll be OK either way.
Heck, I’d pay a little extra to have half the number of people on the boat. Nothing to do with covid, just generally. We were over at Hula Grill yesterday and the catamaran’s were coming and going, everything seemed to be working fine.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Heck, I’d pay a little extra to have half the number of people on the boat. Nothing to do with covid, just generally. We were over at Hula Grill yesterday and the catamaran’s were coming and going, everything seemed to be working fine.
I agree. Less people = better experience. Covid or not. Looking forward to Kauai Oct 9 and Maui Oct 16.