• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got sucked into buying a TS and would like to know if I made the right decision!

Ant

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
So I was in Florida with my family this pass week, at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort, when I got sucked into doing a supposedly 90 minutes TS, that turns into 5 and half long hours. Me and my girl thought we had a good deal, until I start doing some research when we got back, and stumbled across tug and those reviews that I’ve read so far, just make me want to call the whole things off!!!

Although we were promised a bunch of things, as far as having the TS for life, with the deed send out to use when we’re almost done with the payment and be able to pass it down to our 3 boys in the future and they can also do the same once they have children on their own. I’m still kind of skeptic about the whole thing.

The TS is 85,000 points for $15,000 and of course I don’t have that kind of money just laying around, so we have a 10 Year loan through them, We can travel to anywhere around the us and aboard as long as we have enough points, which replenish every January, all we’ll have to do is make monthly payment and also pay the MF of $800+ each year, and if don’t travel each year and don’t use our points, we can transfer them to IHG which they never expired and we can also, use those points on airfare, car rental and cruises. I was also contemplating of opening an IHG credit to get more points.

We have no experience whatsoever with TS and would like some knowledgeable advice please!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Get out of it while you can -- if you still can.

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands on exactly the same thing as full freight, or the equivalent, or something even better.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello Everyone!
So I was in Florida with my family this pass week, at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort, when I got sucked into doing a supposedly 90 minutes TS, that turns into 5 and half long hours. Me and my girl thought we had a good deal, until I start doing some research when we got back, and stumbled across tug and those reviews that I’ve read so far, just make me want to call the whole things off!!!

Although we were promised a bunch of things, as far as having the TS for life, with the deed send out to use when we’re almost done with the payment and be able to pass it down to our 3 boys in the future and they can also do the same once they have children on their own. I’m still kind of skeptic about the whole thing.

The TS is 85,000 points for $15,000 and of course I don’t have that kind of money just laying around, so we have a 10 Year loan through them, We can travel to anywhere around the us and aboard as long as we have enough points, which replenish every January, all we’ll have to do is make monthly payment and also pay the MF of $800+ each year, and if don’t travel each year and don’t use our points, we can transfer them to IHG which they never expired and we can also, use those points on airfare, car rental and cruises. I was also contemplating of opening an IHG credit to get more points.

We have no experience whatsoever with TS and would like some knowledgeable advice please!

Recind immediately. Follow instructions exactly. If you allow the the recind date to pass you will be stuck.

Timeshares like this you can get for free. You should never take a loan, that means you can’t afford it and you should learn all about timeshare before getting one.

Welcome to Tug, hopefully you got here in time to save $15,000. Stick around to learn as timesharing can be wonderful.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
By Florida law, you have a specific number of days (somewhere between 5 and 10; others may know exactly) to cancel your contract for a full refund. It is your absolute right to do so. Canceling the contract will cancel the loan as well.

As others have already suggested and others undoubtedly will, rescind, and rescind NOW. The instructions are somewhere in the materials you were given. Find them and follow them to the letter. Make certain that everyone who signed the purchase agreement signs the rescission letter.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Florida, the rescission period is 10 days. Day 1 is the day AFTER you signed the contract. We suggest you rescind. Follow the instructions in the contract, but absent that, a simple letter stating your desire to cancel the contract and signed by all signers of the contract is sufficient. Include a COPY of the contract's signature page for identification and send it Certified at USPS with returned receipt. Send back all their junk, but not any 'gifts' you got for attending the presentation.

Should you not be scared off entirely by the experience, and still want a TS, one bought resale has all the benefits as one bought retail except the bonuses. TSs are a lousy way to buy cruises or airfare. As to passing them along to your kids, you have no idea whether they will want them and by then the cost may be so high that all you are doing is saddling them with problems and a lifetime of payment. Don't think for them. They can do it for themselves when the time comes.

Welcome to TUG. We're glad you found us.

Jim

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
85,000 HICV points won't even get you a week in a 1BR in prime season, so you will have to travel off-season, and with 3 children you would need larger units. This purchase won't meet your needs at any price, so save the $15,000.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So 90 minutes turned into 360 minutes? I bet you were only looking for the "free" tickets.... Lesson learned. You never expected to buy a timeshare, but they showed you how great it would be to own one. For the record, "resale" timeshare owners get housed in the same rooms as "retail" timeshare owners. They just pay less as many current owners just want to get rid of the maintenance fee obligations. Your contract is a perpetual contract. (lasts forever). You would be well advised to follow all the previous advice and rescind the purchase. With three little ones, you will need the financial flexibility of not having this obligation. Best of luck.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In terms of IHG, your $800+ in MF would probably get you about $300 toward airfare, car rental or cruise.

Read the contract and rescind while you are still in your 10 day cancellation period.

Ant

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who have reach out to help us out. We have our rescissions papers ready to go, we are very grateful for Tug. We are Tugers for life!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
By Florida law, you have a specific number of days (somewhere between 5 and 10; others may know exactly) to cancel your contract for a full refund. It is your absolute right to do so. Canceling the contract will cancel the loan as well.

As others have already suggested and others undoubtedly will, rescind, and rescind NOW. The instructions are somewhere in the materials you were given. Find them and follow them to the letter. Make certain that everyone who signed the purchase agreement signs the rescission letter.

Sound advice. 10 days to rescind (cancel) under Florida law. OP: Stay off the phone, send the rescission by certified USPS mail (not by FedEx, UPS, email, fax or carrier pigeon).
Tick tock.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy you found us in time, not everyone gets a shot at saving $15,000 bucks just by doing their own research! Congrats!

Ant

Reaction score
Sound advice. 10 days to rescind (cancel) under Florida law. OP: Stay off the phone, send the rescission by certified USPS mail (not by FedEx, UPS, email, fax or carrier pigeon).
Tick tock.
Thank you very much!

Ant

Reaction score
so very happy you found us in time, not everyone gets a shot at saving $15,000 bucks just by doing their own research! Congrats!
I am very grateful for TUG!!! Now I’m going to explore more of the site and perhaps purchase a resale TS, with a very low MF.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very grateful for TUG!!! Now I’m going to explore more of the site and perhaps purchase a resale TS, with a very low MF.
Welcome, Stick around a while and become an informed owner. First, we suggest you rent a TS a few times in different systems. I virtually guarantee the system you buy into will not be the first one you try. Now, just between us (don't tell anyone) Low MF is not always something desirable. Like when the BOD keeps MF too low to pay insurance, or keep up the place properly, and a hurricane blows through or the furnishings just wear out and owners get hit with a great big 'Special Assessment', or SA to bring it up to a desirable condition.

There is a questionnaire in one of the newbies forums (sorry I don't have a link for you) that you should fill out that will help us point you in the right direction for what might be appropriate for you.

Jim

Reaction score
Sounds like you and I were at the same place at the same time. I too bought a TS and thanks to this Forum/Tug I will be sending out my letter tomorrow. I hope its not too late. If I am not mistaken, the letter just has to be postmarked by the 10th day, right???

Here is our story:

50k-$11K= about .22 a point, so it looks like you got a better deal than us.

One of our concerns was that we did not buy enough points so we called RCI to see if they would give us point examples.....they hung up on us as soon as they found out we were not yet full pledge members. I am expecting a call tomorrow from one of the HICV consultants. Not sure if what he says matters at this point. It looks like this site has some really good information that I need to read up on.

Well thank you all for the great information. Im glad I found this site.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you and I were at the same place at the same time. I too bought a TS and thanks to this Forum/Tug I will be sending out my letter tomorrow. I hope its not too late. If I am not mistaken, the letter just has to be postmarked by the 10th day, right???

Here is our story:

One of our concerns was that we did not buy enough points so we called RCI to see if they would give us point examples.....they hung up on us as soon as they found out we were not yet full pledge members. I am expecting a call tomorrow from one of the HICV consultants. Not sure if what he says matters at this point. It looks like this site has some really good information that I need to read up on.

5 or 10 days has to do with the state where you bought. Do not delay.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bought in Florida, it's 10 CALENDAR days.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
two in one thread! fantastic!

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays

Here is our story:

The HICV rep will tell you anything to keep you from rescinding. Better off not talking to them at all.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too bought a TS and thanks to this Forum/Tug I will be sending out my letter tomorrow. I hope its not too late. If I am not mistaken, the letter just has to be postmarked by the 10th day, right???

If it was in Florida, you have 10 calendar days (i.e., not business days) to have your rescission letter postmarked. Day One is the day after the date of contract execution.

Count your blessings. Ten days is actually is the longest rescission (cancellation) period available in the U.S. (along with Tennessee and one other state). In most states, it's either 5 or 7 days. In a few states (Massachusetts for one), the rescission period is only 3 days. :eek:

As already advised, do not engage in any conversation with the "consultant" (i.e., sales closer). Nothing said on the phone is of any legal meaning or relevance when it comes to a contract already signed anyhow. Stay off the phone and rescind in writing (with the original signatures of everyone who signed the purchase contract) and just let the law do the rest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the information. My letter was postmarked on the 9th day. Now what? Do I leave it up to the seller to complete the cancellation process? Will they send me confirmation of the cancellation?

Ant

Reaction score

Here is our story:

Wow!! That’s insane. Well Since you’ve sent that letter out, I’m hoping that they’ll just cancel everything and yes we both had a crappy deal and since we’ve gotten back to home they keep calling and leaving me voicemails, but just like those wonderful tuggers are saying, do not even try to contact them at all. I’m glad you find tug on time just like we did, wish you nothing but the best!!! By the way are you still planning to buy resale or you’re over this whole TS thing?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the information. My letter was postmarked on the 9th day. Now what? Do I leave it up to the seller to complete the cancellation process? Will they send me confirmation of the cancellation?
Yup. Just cool your jets. They are under no obligation to inform you of anything, but MUST process the rescission. Don't answer unknown phone calls, and watch your credit card account. No need to cancel it.

Glad you got it sent on time. Welcome to TUG!

Jim

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The developer/seller is under no obligation to do anything but refund your money if you complied with the terms of the rescission instructions and Florida law.

Congratulations.

Maintain copies of the paperwork, postmark and carefully watch the mail for any communications etc...

You may be contracted by someone trying to 'save' the contract; they will claim a special deal, a one time offer yadda yadda yadda

Don't' engage in conversation with them other than to acknowledge the rescission.

cheers.

Reaction score
Wow!! That’s insane. Well Since you’ve sent that letter out, I’m hoping that they’ll just cancel everything and yes we both had a crappy deal and since we’ve gotten back to home they keep calling and leaving me voicemails, but just like those wonderful tuggers are saying, do not even try to contact them at all. I’m glad you find tug on time just like we did, wish you nothing but the best!!! By the way are you still planning to buy resale or you’re over this whole TS thing?

We would love to own our own TS. My in-laws have a TS that we have been using WITH them for years. The main reason why we signed up was to "spread our wings and fly" on our own. Looking at eBay for resales now. Not sure why we would spend 11k when people are willing to give them away (now I know...thanks TUG). I do not mind the yearly MF (MF means maintenance fee right??). Ohhh and I think we will stick to the Mexico (PV/Cancun) resorts. I feel like you get a lot more for your money.