• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got our flu shots today

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
See, this is what is so weird. Dh and I both have the same coverage for Part D. I paid $40 each for the shingles shots and dh paid $80 each. Different pharmacies, but same coverage.

Probable because DH's pharmacy charges more for the meds. If you both have the same plan, coverage should be the same but cost difference is the pharmacy's charges.

I ran into this with a new med for DH. Had to have it immediately so the copay was $302. Future meds will be through mail order from the Part D provider at substantially lower copay.

Ingrid

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Dh and I both have the same coverage for Part D. I paid $40 each for the shingles shots and dh paid $80 each. Different pharmacies, but same coverage.

It may be that, even if both are listed "in-network," yours is a "preferred" pharmacy and his is not.
With our Part D, the Publix Pharmacies are preferred and brand-costs will be cheaper than others.
I suggest that you go to the plan's website or medicare.gov to research which pharmacy they prefer.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It may be that, even if both are listed "in-network," yours is a "preferred" pharmacy and his is not.
With our Part D, the Publix Pharmacies are preferred and brand-costs will be cheaper than others.
I suggest that you go to the plan's website or medicare.gov to research which pharmacy they prefer.

At the time the Shingrix vaccine was so hard to get he didn't care where he got it or how much he paid. But you are probably right.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
This might be your most important Flu shot ever

Richard

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
DH and I spent a day last week driving to our DS’ pharmacy so he could give us our flu shots. He also gave my DH the shingles vaccine. It was kind of cute watching the child we put through pharm school be all professional with us in his white coat.

Fun fact: if you want to know who the actual pharmacist is among everyone else behind the counter, look for the white coat. They’re the only ones allowed to wear it in the pharmacy.

We had no co-pay for either shot. Additionally, our 12 year old was able to get his flu shot with us too, a recent change that allows pediatric shots at the pharmacy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I said I was gonna wait. But today I was at my Kroger store, and they weren't busy so I did the dirty deed. Probably 15 minutes start to finish. Discussed it with the pharmacist, she felt like I do, that this year with the enhanced health-awareness, mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing, plain-ol' ordinary flu might be more easily avoided. We'll see.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We decided to wait until October. We were able to reschedule our appointments.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We decided to wait until October. We were able to reschedule our appointments.
I am going to wait until October too.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m thinking of getting the flu shot soon.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I’m thinking of getting the flu shot soon.
We were scheduled to get our flu shots in September. But then I kept hearing that the advice was to wait until October. We usually get them in September, but that's because we travel end of September, beginning October and we want to have the shots before then.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We were scheduled to get our flu shots in September. But then I kept hearing that the advice was to wait until October. We usually get them in September, but that's because we travel end of September, beginning October and we want to have the shots before then.
That’s why I want to get my flu shot, we are traveling in a couple of weeks. So will probably get a shot in the next few days.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I decided not to get one now or later in the season, although the doctor here asked me to consider doing so at least this once. I figure if masks and distancing and hand washing help prevent COVID, plus being home inside more in the winter, it should do the same for the flu.
I definitely agree. These precautions we are taking should definitely have a positive effect in preventing the flu this year. However, I am still on the fence about getting the flu shot. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I will discuss it. I guess I better get ready for the lecture of how it is highly recommended for someone with my health issues. We will see.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I definitely agree. These precautions we are taking should definitely have a positive effect in preventing the flu this year. However, I am still on the fence about getting the flu shot. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I will discuss it. I guess I better get ready for the lecture of how it is highly recommended for someone with my health issues. We will see.
Well it looks like I will be getting a flu shot. :rolleyes: My Doctor advised I get it. But, she told me mid October is the best time so it remains effective during flu season. So she noted in my chart that I will get it on my next follow-up appointment 10/15. She is not letting me duck and run for cover from getting it. :LOL:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neither my husband nor I have ever had a flu shot. Nor have either of us have ever had the flu. He is a physician and I am a retired high school principal. I worked 43 years in Public education. We are both going to get the flu shot this year, so that if we do get sick with something it will be easier to diagnose. We are probably going to get them in early October.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Last week my doctor recommended getting a flu shot in mid to late October. I usually get it in late October/early November, mostly because my schedule is always crazy in October.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My doctor recommended we get the shot two weeks before we fly to Florida so I am getting in September

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got our flu shot today; because we fell waiting to October (only 14 days to October) will become like looking for Lysol Disinfectant Spray & Wipes.

We have seen Lysol Spray in Costco lately; but no Lysol Wipes in months.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, this year is the least needed year for a flu shot.

Why?

Masks and social distancing has "done a number" on flu in the Southern Hemisphere this season. See the following.

So what strains are they going to use for the vaccine? (They usually use Southern Hemisphere strains, the most common ones, for making the vaccine. )

You pays your money and takes your choice. . . .

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Why?

Masks and social distancing has "done a number" on flu in the Southern Hemisphere this season. See the following.

So what strains are they going to use for the vaccine? (They usually use Southern Hemisphere strains, the most common ones, for making the vaccine. )

You pays your money and takes your choice. . . .
And then there is this position.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/09/418406/why-covid-19-means-you-need-flu-shot-year

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I do think this year's flu season will be extremely light due to many of the reasons outlined in the article, but that is not changing my actions. I am planning on getting the flu shot like I always do, as it will still protect me and others just as it always has. Sure, there will be a lower chance I will be exposed to the flu this year, but why take the chance?

Kurt

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I will definitely get my flu shot this year, just like i always do. For me i don't see any downside, insurance covers the cost, and i don't think i have ever regretted getting the shot.