• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got breakthrough COVID

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a vax believer. Had both primary shots as soon as I could, and went in for the booster at first opportunity. I'm over 65 and, disgracefully, carry more pounds than I should. My personal situation is that I largely work at home in an isolated situation.

I spent most of last week at a conference in Asheville. During the conference I was apparently exposed. The conference ended Wednesday evening. I spent Thursday returning from Asheville to Seattle, arriving SEA in the evening. I spent Friday working, prepared dinner, ate with my wife, and helped take care of dinner dishes and left overs. With jet lag, I was fading after dinner, and I went to bed about 8 pm PDT (11 pm EDT).

To that point, no symptoms at all. I awakened about four hours later with a sore throat and a cough, and a temp about 1° above normal. No nasal congestion. I was able to sleep the rest of the night, but in the morning (Saturday, today) I still had the sore throat and cough, and my temp was about 2° above normal.

Home test kit result was negative, but I dismissed that because the home test kits are biased toward false negatives, particularly in the early stages of an infection. So I went for a PCR test, and a couple of hours ago I got a positive result.

Given how mild my symptoms are, I consider this to be a great event. DS #3, who lives with us and is fully vaxxed (with first booster), had a breakthrough infection about six weeks ago that was really nothing more than a cold. Any my symptoms so far are trivial compared with his. So my take so far is that this is good. I'm fully vaxxed, with what is so far an incredibly mild infection. So I get the immunological benefits of an infection layered on top of vaccination. Which is about the maximum protection, and I'm getting it with what seems to be minimal discomfort.

So far, this is actually less discomfort than the relatively mild reactions I had to the vaxxes.

I attribute the mildness of my current symptoms to the benefits of being fully vaxxed before having a breakthrough infection.

I'm eligible for a second booster, but I decided to defer, My thinking was that the data indicate that the effectiveness of boosters wanes from 6 to 9 months after injection, and perhaps less with more boosters. So why should I get a booster now, when the rampant form of COVID appears to be relatively mild? Isn't it reasonable to consider that some pending mutation will return to a more lethal variant, and, if so, shouldn't I wait to get my next booster until that more lethal variant looms? Also, later this year, there should be boosters that are more targeted toward the omicron variant instead of the alpha and beta variants that are essentially extinct.

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Glad it is a mild case. Wishing you a quick rebound.

My 15 year old son got a breakthrough case of Covid. Like you, a sore throat, slight cough, and slight fever. He also had slight congestion. This first popped up about a month ago on a Thursday and by Saturday afternoon, when it wasn’t getting any better, I administered a home test - positive. We went straight to a city testing site and the next day it was confirmed.

From Thursday to Saturday the family went about things as normal. Only on Saturday did we start to wear masks in the house. My wife also used a liberal amount of Lysol spray. No one else in the family came down with it. I attribute that, as well as my son’s mild case, to each of us being vaccinated (I was the only one boosted at that point).

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Glad you are doing well, hope you continue to do so. That is what we live by these days, feel like we've done all we can, we're cautious but doing more. We've mostly accepted we'll get it, but it shouldn't be too bad (but sure wish they'd get the under 5 vaccine approved). Certainly a lot different to get it today versus 2 years ago, thank goodness!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Glad to hear your case is mild, Trog. DH's symptoms were nil and I never got it. However, According to a WaPo article in our paper this morning, deaths have increased in vulnerable, vaccinated populations, particularly the unboosted.
Big outbreak at my sister's elder care facility in OR among patients and staff. Here in northern Ohio, the virus is spreading. Luckily, my compromised friend who just tested positive has no fever and no ill-effects.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm sorry to hear about your COVID diagnosis, Trog, and am copying this from when @Talent312 shared the same bad news.

>>All good thoughts for continuing good health. :)

But speaking from experience, be alert for any oddities you recognize in your body and keep in touch with your doctor about them. I don't mean to say that you're not out of the woods yet, because you very well may be, only to say that you shouldn't overlook anything that feels odd. I don't mean to say, either, that you should run to your doctor immediately - mine uses an online portal so my doctor and I were able to easily send messages to each other so that she could monitor what was happening and tell me when it became time for me to be seen. And it's worth noting that what I was still feeling weeks later (increasing - not decreasing - headaches, lethargy, loss of strength) turned out to be markers for the newly-developed cardiac issues they found when I did go in.<<

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Wishing you a complete recovery. We both got covid in February, being fully vaccinated and boosted. Mine was just like a head cold. DH had some vertigo, and still has ringing in his ears. We are holding off on the 2nd booster because I believe we were naturally "boosted" by having the infection. We are waiting for results of an antibody blood draw last week, because we are going on our first cruise in 2 weeks. They will test us prior to boarding. We will take the booster if our antibody levels are low.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes I have been in touch with my doctor. I was scheduled for a visit Tuesday but of course that's now canceled

This morning my temp is up to 101 and I ache and have little energy. but no change in sore throat and and nothing nasal.

Brett

Reaction score
yes, it's good that your covid infection is mild. Vaccination reduces the severity of covid symptoms

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I guess that most of us are bound to get it at some point given how easily transmitted it is. I hope that your recovery continues to be unremarkable. I agree that your mild case is probably due to receiving the vaccine. Thank goodness for that!

Glad to hear your case is mild, Trog. DH's symptoms were nil and I never got it. However, According to a WaPo article in our paper this morning, deaths have increased in vulnerable, vaccinated populations, particularly the unboosted.
Big outbreak at my sister's elder care facility in OR among patients and staff. Here in northern Ohio, the virus is spreading. Luckily, my compromised friend who just tested positive has no fever and no ill-effects.

I was just perusing that WaPo article and was somewhat concerned. They mentioned that the death rate for vaccinated people who are at risk is rising. Some were elderly and I expect have other health issues, but then there were those who were younger but had other medical issues like cancer or rheumatoid arthritis. Seeing your exact health issue listed as a risk factor (I have RA) is definitely troubling as I otherwise feel healthy. I have no other risk factors at all, but every day I pop a pill to quash my immune system to keep it from going nuts and at a minimum causing me excruciating pain, and at worse causing me to have organ failure. What a double edged sword. On the advice of my doctor I received my second booster about a month ago right after my boss - we work in a small two person office - declared that the pandemic was over and so was his patience so he would no longer be masking anywhere, or getting any additional boosters, or doing any social distancing. He has already been sick for about two weeks and refused to even take a covid test so I have to do whatever I can to keep myself safe. It's really unsettling for sure. I hope that if/when I get it it will hopefully be a mild case.

Btw we flew up to see our new granddaughter last week and both flights were packed and hit and miss re: masking. But because of my meds I have to keep masking. I have been using KN95 this whole time so I am used to it. The guy behind us on yesterday's flight was sneezing and coughing up a lung. I really hope that my mask worked and that he just had a common cold if it didn't.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Sorry you are feeling poorly, Trog. I checked at CVS when I was there early last month to find out if an appointment was required, but wasn’t interested in pursuing another shot quite yet. Then yesterday we got word they will be giving out shots here at the old folks home on May 25th, so we’ll go ahead and do that. Already have the next day blocked out since the first booster made me feel unwell for 18 hours. They had no Covid cases here during the early worst of it, but in December and January with omicron every other day we were getting notices that employees and residents were infected and quarantining.

Brett

Reaction score
I guess that most of us are bound to get it at some point given how easily transmitted it is. I hope that your recovery continues to be unremarkable. I agree that your mild case is probably due to receiving the vaccine. Thank goodness for that!

I was just perusing that WaPo article and was somewhat concerned. They mentioned that the death rate for vaccinated people who are at risk is rising. Some were elderly and I expect have other health issues, but then there were those who were younger but had other medical issues like cancer or rheumatoid arthritis. Seeing your exact health issue listed as a risk factor (I have RA) is definitely troubling as I otherwise feel healthy. I have no other risk factors at all, but every day I pop a pill to quash my immune system to keep it from going nuts and at a minimum causing me excruciating pain, and at worse causing me to have organ failure. What a double edged sword. On the advice of my doctor I received my second booster about a month ago right after my boss - we work in a small two person office - declared that the pandemic was over and so was his patience so he would no longer be masking anywhere, or getting any additional boosters, or doing any social distancing. He has already been sick for about two weeks and refused to even take a covid test so I have to do whatever I can to keep myself safe. It's really unsettling for sure. I hope that if/when I get it it will hopefully be a mild case.

Btw we flew up to see our new granddaughter last week and both flights were packed and hit and miss re: masking. But because of my meds I have to keep masking. I have been using KN95 this whole time so I am used to it. The guy behind us on yesterday's flight was sneezing and coughing up a lung. I really hope that my mask worked and that he just had a common cold if it didn't.

I also read that article. But I'm still undecided on the second booster

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I also read that article. But I'm still undecided on the second booster

I did it because of my RA medicine. I am going through my life immunocompromised, and have been for over 10 years. Some years are fine, some find me getting one thing after another. Once I start getting sick, it seems to snowball. Masks have been quite the game changer. I haven't been sick once since covid started and we have traveled quite a bit including planes. I try to not think about my crappy immune system because I understood the risks, but covid has changed the equation.

Reaction score
In February, my cousin - who officiated my dad's memorial service - caught Covid19. She passed it on to us. My symptoms were Flu-like but lasted 5 days. I had my first round in April 2021, no boosters. If vaccinated is a minor Flu, I would hate to see what unvaccinated/anti-vaxxers would feel!

TS

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Today I'm nearly back to normal. Monday was the "worst" day with temp 101+, mild cough and sore throat, and the onset of nasal congestion. Tuesday the cough was mitigating, temperature was going down, but nasal congestion. Today I just have residual nasal congestion. Still testing positive with home test kit though. Continuing to adhere to isolation protocols, and will do so for five days after all symptoms are gone.

Apart from the elevated temperature, this wasn't much different from a moderate nose and throat cold infection. As I stated originally, I attribute this to being fully vaccinated prior to becoming infected.

No affect on taste and aroma, except that I have noted an increased desire for certain foods, and decreased interest in others. For example, a favorite easy meal for me is New England clam chowder with sourdough bread. But that wasn't something in which I had any interest yesterday. But a bowl of Hormel chile was dead on.

++++++++++++++++

As I commented to my kids, in all it was a best-case scenario. For the price of a few days of discomfort, I now have about the highest level of immune protection (breakthrough infection immunity layered on vax immunity), and an immune system that is trained to identify the whole virus instead of just viral snippets (all of which are relics of the near-vanished original virus).

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Super immunity is great! Glad your doing better.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Yes I have been in touch with my doctor. I was scheduled for a visit Tuesday but of course that's now canceled

This morning my temp is up to 101 and I ache and have little energy. but no change in sore throat and and nothing nasal.

I'm glad you are on the mend. I was wondering what your doctor said to do. One of our vaxxed and boosted friends is going through this now and her doctor said no to any treatments so she is just waiting to get better on her own.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what your doctor said to do.
The med team didn't have any recommendations other than to follow standard quarantine procedures and let them know if symptoms worsened. I told them I was taking ibuprofen as needed to reduce temperature and as a general pain reliever, and they indicated that was fine.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm glad you are on the mend. I was wondering what your doctor said to do. One of our vaxxed and boosted friends is going through this now and her doctor said no to any treatments so she is just waiting to get better on her own.

Bill
Since I was within 5 days of my first symptoms, and since I'm over 65, my provider gave me a script for Paxlovid, an anti-viral medication. It can greatly reduce the chance of hospitalization and shorten the duration of symptoms, but has to be taken ASAP after the onset of symptoms. Today is my last day of the 5 day regime. My symptoms were already going away by the time I started them, so I can't really say if they helped, but I was feeling pretty good by 2 days after I started them. Other than that, they said to just treat the symptoms, i.e. decongestant for sinus congestion.

Brett

Reaction score
Since I was within 5 days of my first symptoms, and since I'm over 65, my provider gave me a script for Paxlovid, an anti-viral medication. It can greatly reduce the chance of hospitalization and shorten the duration of symptoms, but has to be taken ASAP after the onset of symptoms. Today is my last day of the 5 day regime. My symptoms were already going away by the time I started them, so I can't really say if they helped, but I was feeling pretty good by 2 days after I started them. Other than that, they said to just treat the symptoms, i.e. decongestant for sinus congestion.

:thumbup: good that you're recovering

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Plaxovid is what our friend requested because she has other medical issues. She is about 60.

I'm glad you are on the mend Art.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Followup on current status, ~6.5 days from when I woke up with a bit of sore throat and dry cough. Temp has been back to normal for two days now, and my energy levels are back to normal. I resumed normal work yesterday, digging out from what's been accumulating.

The sore throat is gone, but I still have a lingering mild cough and some nasal. FWIW - a lingering cough after a head cold is very common for me. So I think I may have those symptoms for awhile.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Glad to hear your energy levels are back to normal. COVID fatigue seems to be worse than a cold or allergies.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The sore throat is gone, but I still have a lingering mild cough and some nasal. FWIW - a lingering cough after a head cold is very common for me. So I think I may have those symptoms for awhile.

I'm where you are.... mostly better, except for a cough (gobs of phlegm)
-- sorry to be so graphic --
I even mowed our front lawn yesterday. DW asked where I got the energy.
I said that I was tired of sitting on my arse and had to do something.

Last edited: