• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good TS’s for San Fran Bay area

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Any good TS’s to own for San Fran bay area? Most resorts are in So Cal and few in Tahoe.
Flying open other options ofcourse. Hawaii is one good option. How about other places like Cabos etc. Are you happy with your TS- HGVC, RCI, Wyndham etc? Let’s hear from Bay area TS owners. Thx

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are we going to participate in the discussion? Looking for response from TS owners in Bay Area
The Wyndham Canterbury in San Francisco is very nice. We own Wyndham points and have stayed there several times. Since we live on the East coast and like to visit Washington DC and NYC as well, the points program works for us.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Wyndham has 5 resorts in San Francisco through 3 of their brands.

Wyndham - Canterbury Inn
Shell - Inn at the Opera
Shell - The Donatello
Shell - Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Worldmark - WM San Francisco

I've stayed at all of them and like them. Just make sure you understand that they are urban resorts and so quite different from a typical timeshare.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Wyndham has 5 resorts in San Francisco through 3 of their brands.

Wyndham - Canterbury Inn
Shell - Inn at the Opera
Shell - The Donatello
Shell - Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Worldmark - WM San Francisco

I've stayed at all of them and like them. Just make sure you understand that they are urban resorts and so quite different from a typical timeshare.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Thanks for first valuable suggestion and being relevant. Gee. So hard to keep to the topic.

I recently used the RCI resort in Point Arena in Mendocino county. Nice cottages. Beautiful coast surroudings. If you want to get away from the city life, great place to go. Internet is weak. So it is great:)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I enjoyed Suites at Fisherman’s Wharf, but entirely because of the location. The unit itself was actually quite poor, very old, and the staff mentioned they intended to remodel soon (this was in Jan 2020). I would return, but only because of the location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Since we lived in California, in the East Bay, we didn't stay in timeshares. I have stayed in two there in my life, one was the Nob Hill Inn, stayed with my parents while they were there. The other was the Donatello, which we rented. Nob Hill was kind of funky and I got the impression that each unit was different. The Donatello was more like a hotel.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm puzzled (what else is new?) The OP asks 'what TS for San Francisco, yet their profile says their location is San Francisco. Most of us do not OWN a TS in the home city. So are they asking what TS in SF would give good trading power for elsewhere. Hawaii & Cabo are mentioned. So what is the goal here?

JIm

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
I'm puzzled (what else is new?) The OP asks 'what TS for San Francisco, yet their profile says their location is San Francisco. Most of us do not OWN a TS in the home city. So are they asking what TS in SF would give good trading power for elsewhere. Hawaii & Cabo are mentioned. So what is the goal here?

JIm
Thanks for asking this question.
The purpose the thread is what TS owners in Bay area( San Francisco and suburbs) find atteactive- drivable, shorter flight wise, a bit easier say Hawaii, Cabos. As TS owners you can be at all places but which ones you find most useful in you in bay area. The goal is not to list TS in SF only. Hope it clarifies

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for asking this question.
The purpose the thread is what TS owners in Bay area( San Francisco and suburbs) find atteactive- drivable, shorter flight wise, a bit easier say Hawaii, Cabos. As TS owners you can be at all places but which ones you find most useful in you in bay area. The goal is not to list TS in SF only. Hope it clarifies
Thanks for the clarification. I read it as you were looking for timeshares IN San Francisco.

As I said in an earlier post we used to live in the East Bay. We own a timeshare in Maui. I've never been sorry we bought that. We used it every summer while our daughters were growing up. We use it still (even though it's a bit longer trip for us now).

If I were to own another timeshare in California I think I'd like one in Carmel or San Diego as those are locations we like to visit.

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Thanks for the clarification. I read it as you were looking for timeshares IN San Francisco.

As I said in an earlier post we used to live in the East Bay. We own a timeshare in Maui. I've never been sorry we bought that. We used it every summer while our daughters were growing up. We use it still (even though it's a bit longer trip for us now).

If I were to own another timeshare in California I think I'd like one in Carmel or San Diego as those are locations we like to visit.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Luanne. (that's normal). I suggest for a new or prospective owner, that they choose a TS that at least has units within driving distance, that they can enjoy. People's needs and situations change kids grow up, or get families of their own, and it isn't always easy or affordable to fly to one's annual TS week. We have several TS ownerships, but always enjoy the 3rd week in July at Yellowstone. We can drive there in 4 hours and know what to expect.

Jim

prajora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, RCI points
Many of TS have point system so you can go to other places too. To me that is the fun of TS ownership. But if i had TS in Maui, i would not complain and visit a lot

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The first timeshare I bought was back in 1974. I lived in southern California at the time and we bought in Ramona (which is outside San Diego). We bought because we could use the timeshare like a hotel, meaning we could break it down into smaller increments. It was about an hour drive from where we lived. We bought it to use, as at the time we were playing golf and we got to play free when we were there. So we'd go down for weekends.

paxlin

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Hacienda Encantada
Marriott Summit Watch
For me since I own Worldmark I find there are quite a few resorts that are within driving distance.
Worldmark Bass Lake is close to the south entrance of Yosemites.
Worldmark Southshore is a good resort for Lake Tahoe visits.
Worldmark Clearlake is another one that is a few hours away.
Then you have the resorts along the coast from Monterey all the way down to San Diego. (Marina Dunes, Pismo Beach, Solvang, Anaheim, and 3 resorts in San Diego)
For Hawaii I would probably go for either Marriott or Westin resorts.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I live San Jose, and have not stayed in any of the "local" timeshares.... We usually do hotels when we spend a night or two in SF.

Marriott has Pulse location near Fisherman's Wharf, and the Ritz Carlton Club in SF. I have heard reasonably good things about both. If your expanding the scope to Northern Ca in general, then there are few Timeshares in the Wine Country, and Hyatt Residence Club has a location in the Carmel Highlands.

VacayKat

Reaction score
We are also in SJ, we have stayed at the Wyndhams in SF, in fact plan to do that next week. If it wasn't covid, would not drive and take public transit. We like Napa, and Angels Camp also. We will drive to Indio and Oceanside and Tahoe. But we do most of our vacays to Hawaii. If I were to add another ownership it would be to for Monterey, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo areas.

Vagabonder

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Royal, P.Bonito, RCI
For me since I own Worldmark I find there are quite a few resorts that are within driving distance.
Worldmark Bass Lake is close to the south entrance of Yosemites.
Worldmark Southshore is a good resort for Lake Tahoe visits.
Worldmark Clearlake is another one that is a few hours away.
Then you have the resorts along the coast from Monterey all the way down to San Diego. (Marina Dunes, Pismo Beach, Solvang, Anaheim, and 3 resorts in San Diego)
For Hawaii I would probably go for either Marriott or Westin resorts.
Worldmark Windsor looks nice, I live nearby and have been to the restaurant there- near the Sonoma wine country yet 60 miles from 'cisco-

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandson will start his freshman year at San Francisco State Univ. Would be fun to spend a week nearby and visit him, take him out for dinner, see his dorm. Can anyone suggest an appropriate timeshare? Thanks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Grandson will start his freshman year at San Francisco State Univ. Would be fun to spend a week nearby and visit him, take him out for dinner, see his dorm. Can anyone suggest an appropriate timeshare? Thanks.
If you look back through this thread there have been several timeshares mentioned for San Francisco. You could start there for ideas. You won't find any that are close to the college, I mean within walking distance.