• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good primer on NYC HGVC?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
We like visiting the city, could see ourselves going every 1-2 year after kids graduate. What's the best place to read up on bHC concept esp NYC properties?

Specifically what are the reservation windows for these as an owner; what are owner only perks; comparison of the different NYC properties; and if bHC points are not used for home resort, how are they used for other bHC properties and what are the reservation windows for these (including other cities like DC)?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
what about a direct comparison of the different NYC properties? It seems like 2 of them are new in 2021 so it’s hard to find much info. What’s the story with the owner’s lounge(s)?

For example, at W 57th Plat season it seems like:
  • 1 BR = 710 sf is 7200 points
  • 1 BR plus = 546 sf on floors 16-20 is 9300 points
  • 1 BR premier = 570 sf on floors 15, 21-24 is 12,600 points
  • 1 BR penthouse = 718 sf on floors 25-26 is 16,800 points
how good are the views? what are the room layouts like? How do these rooms or this resort compare to those at HCNY, Quin, Central? What are vibes like at the different resorts? What about street noise in the different rooms, on the different floors, at the different resorts?

So on and so on.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can speak to W. 57th as we own there.

Views are of the courtyard or North toward the Park with a big building blocking most of it and affording partial park views. The lounge is quite nice with reasonable food choices. The rooms are quite comfortable and quiet (definitely quiet on the courtyard view and quiet enough on the W. 57th view when higher up). Then again, I grew up in New York, so my definition of "quiet" may be different from others.

The W. 57th vibe is quiet, private, intimate. We used to own at HCNY, and the vibe there was very large hotel, hustle-and-bustle, crowded, wait extensively for an elevator.

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So for W57th, does this mean the home week window is the same as for HGVC (12-9 months), then it is open to W57th owners only from 9 months to 60 days; then any HGVC owner 60 days - 1 day? And there is a short term fee for 4 nights or fewer for any reservation regardless of window or where you own?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is starting to make sense

HCNY is its own separate concept. Does not speak to HGVC at all.

W57th is HGVC, but with a distinct booking window.

The bHC properties are The Residences and the District in DC. Owning there gives you some benefits.

Do you have to own bHC points to reserve at bHC properties?

Where do Quin and Central fit in? They aren't available resale at this time as they are new.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These are all bHC
Ok then getting warmer! How's this:

W57th, Quin, Central, Residences are bHC. bHC is HGVC, but with distinct booking windows for owners vs non owners. bHC owners are entitled to some special benefits such as no cancelation fee. Non bHC owners can book at bHC subject to availability in the distinct windows for club season.

Do bHC owners at one property, say the Residences, get advantages over non bHC owners at bHC properties they do not own at (je, W57th in this case)?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

I think you can use HCNY points for HGVC and bHC club reservations but only HCNY points can book at HCNY. Can someone verify if this correct?

W57th, Quin, Central, Residences are bHC. bHC is HGVC, but with distinct booking windows for owners vs non owners. bHC owners are entitled to some special benefits such as no cancelation fee. Non bHC owners can book at bHC subject to availability in the distinct windows for club season.

Yes. bHC properties in Las Vegas (top few floors of Elara) Charleston, Los Cabos and the two bHC properties in Japan (Odawara and Okinawa) all have the regular 276 club booking windows. It’s just the urban resorts that have the smaller club reservation windows.

Do bHC owners at one property, say the Residences, get advantages over non bHC owners at bHC properties they do not own at (je, W57th in this case)?

While it doesn’t include The Quin and Central on 5th, here is a great summary created by @alwysonvac that explained the different windows as of 2018.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
HCNY does “speak” to HGVC in that HCNY club points can book into any HGVC or bHC properties within the appropriate booking windows for non-owners. The difference is no one within HGVC or bHC can book into HCNY. Club within a Club. Upside is less members to compete for reservations and they have legit 2bedroom options. Downside is MF are higher per point.

Each bHC has its own booking windows with West 57th being the most restrictive. It was technically the “first” by Hilton Club. It was my first purchase and never disappoints - upscale, great location, wonderful and loyal staff. The Residences and The District are linked together and have some reciprocal booking advantages. Same with The Central and The Quin. Where it gets confusing is bHC points are in a separate bucket from HGVC club points but can be used interchangeably at other bHC locations if you own at multiple bHC locations. But as far as I recall, lounge access has always been restricted to owners at those individual properties.

Sean

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok then getting warmer! How's this:

..... bHC owners are entitled to some special benefits such as no cancelation fee......
bHC owners are not entitled to any special benefits, we pay the same as everyone else. However we have the option to buy the AI add-on to our membership so we can book as many reservations as we wish without paying any booking fees. If we need to cancel we don't risk the booking fee, however if we cancel less than 31 days out we lose points just the same as other owners.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If we need to cancel we don't risk the booking fee, however if we cancel less than 31 days out we lose points just the same as other owners.
What if you shorten your reservation within 31 days (such as 7 to 5 days)? Do you lose those points?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
What if you shorten your reservation within 31 days (such as 7 to 5 days)? Do you lose those points?
No modifications 60 days or less.

We can cancel 31+ days out and no penalty.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Another factor to consider with NYC. The Residences and HCNY are both inside the Hilton Midtown property. When Covid shutdown happened owners were at the mercy of the hotel deciding when to re-open and could not use their units. The other NYC HGVC properties did not have this issue.

A future event which could also change cost and access to services is the scenario if the Hilton Midtown sells to another party and becomes another brand. We've seen changes affecting owner rights to use hotel amenities in Marriott in Palm Desert, Aviara in San Diego (4 Seasons), and now Westin Cancun which will no longer be a Westin.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Another (minor) factor to staying in either property at the Midtown Hilton (Residences and HCNY) is that they seem obligated as part of the hotel to charge a variety of nuisance fees not at the other NYC properties. Checking a bag is $5 per bag. Receiving a package is $5 to $10. There are fees to use their computer, etc.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another (minor) factor to staying in either property at the Midtown Hilton (Residences and HCNY) is that they seem obligated as part of the hotel to charge a variety of nuisance fees not at the other NYC properties. Checking a bag is $5 per bag. Receiving a package is $5 to $10. There are fees to use their computer, etc.

In addition, being one of the (if not the) largest hotels in New York, elevator access can be problematic at times. We owned at HCNY for a bit and did not care for it relative to W. 57th.

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I have a signed contract on an STP at West 57th, so I'll update ROFR whenever I hear back...

Thanks for the all the tips.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We love W57. The staff is terrific and tries to get to know the owners because unlike other properties, owners actually use and return to the property because bHC MF are too expensive to use elsewhere. Feels like home every time we return.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I bought 52 weeks at W 57th I would pay around $85,800 in maintenance fees. If one could theoretically find 52 STP weeks at reasonable prices and sell them X years from now for what you pay for them today, $7000 per month including amenities and utilities isn't bad at all for a lovely modern studio in that location. It doesn't include a full kitchen but it includes the lounge, as a single person in NYC I could probably do much worse.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I presume $85k in maint fees is good for NYC. You certainly could not buy a full-time condo on that street for the amount of money you paid for the week.

You also get bragging rights that you own (albeit a tiny fraction) on Billionaires Row! Welcome to the club.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I bought 52 weeks at W 57th I would pay around $85,800 in maintenance fees. If one could theoretically find 52 STP weeks at reasonable prices and sell them X years from now for what you pay for them today, $7000 per month including amenities and utilities isn't bad at all for a lovely modern studio in that location. It doesn't include a full kitchen but it includes the lounge, as a single person in NYC I could probably do much worse.

Well, sure But think of the reservation walking nightmares on a 365-day reservation :)

I guess one could book in month-long blocks 9 months from checkout. STP would probably work.

Cheers.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

I like where your head is at. As I’ve stated in previous posts, my goal has been to accumulate New York properties to use as a pied-à-terre when I get closer to retirement. I’ve been able to do this by adding resales to my retail purchases and “upgrading” along the way. I currently have 3 STP weeks on 2 deeds at W57 (25,200 bHC points), Studio Premier Plus at The Quin (20,160 bHC points) and Hilton Club NY (46,400 points). The 91,760 points would give me just under 11 weeks per year in a studio. The bHC points are one bucket and I can use all of them at The Quin or all of them at W57. I may try to consolidate my W57 weeks for more favorable MF ratio in the future. Again, my approach certainly is not for everybody but I’m pleased with the results thus far.

Sean