• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good II Trade

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I'm happy to report another good trade via II -- interesting on a couple of fronts.

I'd deposited an intact/prime time 2BR Shadow Ridge that was February 2018 reservation date. I made the reservation in January 2017 and have been sitting on it but it was a very high TDI week (I think 150). I viewed it as a powerful deposit for those reasons (high TDI and full 2BR).

I'd put in various trade requests, including either Waiohai or Ko Olina for October/November -- and started this trade request in early November 2017.

It just matched to a 2BR at Ko Olina for Nov 2 check-in, which is perfect for me.

Two things interested me about this trade:

1) It took ~6 weeks to match -- I thought it would match more quickly considering I was looking for an off-season 2BR -- but it is still almost 11 months out, so that's pretty good. Also, I realize I started my request "late" and would have missed a 13 month reservation

2) Unit code is HZZAA, so this is a developer deposit, 11 months out. I didn't think Marriott was depositing there weeks this far out, but they are. That's good for us, since they have so much Ko Olina inventory, and it may be easier to get an earlier trade when Marriott has lots of inventory in the Trust

Finally, it's an ZZAA, so hopefully I will get some glimpse of the ocean. I went last month to Oahu (Grand Waikikian) with my brothers-in-law and my brother, and I plan to repeat the invitation for the Boys Trip. I hope it works!

Best,

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Great to hear Greg!

Our experience was similar, though using our 2BR Grande Vista week. We confirmed our 2BR KoOlina week for the 2nd week of December 2017 on December 3, 2016. So just a little over 12 months out. We put our request out in late November. The week we got however looked to be an owner deposit as it was only a four digit unit code. We got a 7th floor Moana tower and could see the ocean from our balcony. We tacked on the one day in a studio using points. Not sure if that helped or hurt our unit placement though. It did keep us confirmed to a OV though and not bumped down to MV.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, congratulations on your success with this trade. It’s good to hear that it came through this early and you landed a 2BR at Ko Olina.

I wonder what you may have received if you traded in a prime season 1BR from the desert, since you were looking for the shoulder season in Hawaii.

Sounds like a fun trip with the guys. Have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg, congratulations on your success with this trade. It’s good to hear that it came through this early and you landed a 2BR at Ko Olina.

I wonder what you may have received if you traded in a prime season 1BR from the desert, since you were looking for the shoulder season in Hawaii.

Sounds like a fun trip with the guys. Have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike
Mike,

I’ve wondered the same and I’m sure I will run this experiment in the future.

I do not think I would have landed this trade at this time because I think any decent 2BR would get this unit (or Dioxide’s) before it falls to a high powered 1BR. And since I have to enter like for like for the OGS, I could only run a search for Waiohai and again, would still lose to a 2BR.

I think best chance of trading a 1BR for a 2BR at Ko Olina is when they do a bulk deposit, and I believe we’ve been seeing those closer to 4-5 months out?

I will be splitting the Enclaves in 2019 and will have some 1BRs to play with - will let to know what I find. I’m now very curious how tradeable Waiohai really is, from a 1BR.

Best,

Greg

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Great to hear Greg!

Our experience was similar, though using our 2BR Grande Vista week. We confirmed our 2BR KoOlina week for the 2nd week of December 2017 on December 3, 2016. So just a little over 12 months out. We put our request out in late November. The week we got however looked to be an owner deposit as it was only a four digit unit code. We got a 7th floor Moana tower and could see the ocean from our balcony. We tacked on the one day in a studio using points. Not sure if that helped or hurt our unit placement though. It did keep us confirmed to a OV though and not bumped down to MV.
This is great to know as I will be requesting a similar trade for December 2019.

Greg, thanks for sharing your success!

I will have a 2BR Plat Grande Vista Presidents week or Willow Ridge July 4th. Any thoughts which would be better to use?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great to know as I will be requesting a similar trade for December 2019.

I will have a 2BR Plat Grande Vista Presidents week or Willow Ridge July 4th. Any thoughts which would be better to use?

The WR reservation will have the higher trading power.

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, I recently received a similar trade. I deposited a 2 Bedroom March Aruba Surf Club Ocean view in March of 2017 and placed a request for Ko Olina or Maui November, or December of 2018. I received a match to a 2 bedroom Ko Olina the beginning of November for November 3-10 2018. Looks like we will be there at the same time! My trade is coded zzaa. I am hoping for a non parking lot view! What are the chances of a decent view?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, I recently received a similar trade. I deposited a 2 Bedroom March Aruba Surf Club Ocean view in March of 2017 and placed a request for Ko Olina or Maui November, or December of 2018. I received a match to a 2 bedroom Ko Olina the beginning of November for November 3-10 2018. Looks like we will be there at the same time! My trade is coded zzaa. I am hoping for a non parking lot view! What are the chances of a decent view?
That's great! Did you trade just clear? Maybe they did a mini bulk deposit that was absorbed by on-going searches?

I think Dioxide's recent experience is what we should expect -- I think we will get a low ocean-view floor -- 7th or 8th floor -- in Hale Moana. I would take that as you can still see the sunset. Primary drawback to Moana is that the afternoon sun is blazing so if you are a balcony person, it doesn't work in the afternoon.

I hope we can get together for a mai tai while we are there!

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Great trade GregT! Fantastic trades via II can still be had. It helps to be patient and request early with a high TDI week. We'll be at Ko Olina in February (and MOC afterwards). Good times coming!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The 120 TDI for Orlando is actually a higher trade power than the 150 TDI for Branson from the info I've seen, probably by about 10%. GV is a higher rated resort but the deposit could be a shorter time frame assuming both are the 2018 weeks. If both were deposited well in advance, the GV should have a minimally higher trade value. I'd probably set both up and if you end up matching on both, cancel one within 24 hours. I suspect you'll match the GV first if you do it this way. Otherwise i believe the best one to use is the one that you'd rather see go first which is likely the GV since the WR will be good for a few extra months.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

For practical purposes, if you are not trying to trade for the last two weeks of Christmas, it shouldn't matter much. We used our 2BR Gold season (May) Orlando 2BR to get our early December 2BR at KoOlina.

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great! Did you trade just clear? Maybe they did a mini bulk deposit that was absorbed by on-going searches?

I think Dioxide's recent experience is what we should expect -- I think we will get a low ocean-view floor -- 7th or 8th floor -- in Hale Moana. I would take that as you can still see the sunset. Primary drawback to Moana is that the afternoon sun is blazing so if you are a balcony person, it doesn't work in the afternoon.

I hope we can get together for a mai tai while we are there!

Best,

Greg
I would be very happy with a low ocean-view floor too! I do love to sit on the balcony in the afternoon, but I won't complain! I'm not sure what you mean by did my trade just clear. ( I am new to all of this). I did a deposit first in March of 2017 requesting a November or December 2018 and I was matched in early November. I am travelling with my husband and 3 "kids" in their 20s, so I am hoping for a 3 bedroom re trade if possible. I read that this may be possible in May? I would love to meet for a Mai Tai when we are there. Also, need restaurant advice! Thanks Greg

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
For practical purposes, if you are not trying to trade for the last two weeks of Christmas, it shouldn't matter much. We used our 2BR Gold season (May) Orlando 2BR to get our early December 2BR at KoOlina.
Thanks all who responded. We will be going weeks 48-50.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be very happy with a low ocean-view floor too! I do love to sit on the balcony in the afternoon, but I won't complain! I'm not sure what you mean by did my trade just clear. ( I am new to all of this). I did a deposit first in March of 2017 requesting a November or December 2018 and I was matched in early November. I am travelling with my husband and 3 "kids" in their 20s, so I am hoping for a 3 bedroom re trade if possible. I read that this may be possible in May? I would love to meet for a Mai Tai when we are there. Also, need restaurant advice! Thanks Greg
Thank you -- so if your trade matched in early November, and mine matched earlier this week, that means that Marriott slowly doles out their weeks, versus simply bulk banking what is available. Interesting. Perhaps that is to preserve the trade power of their own weeks? Hmmmm....

I look forward to getting together for a Mai Tai and would also appreciate restaurant recommendations from TUGgers....Last time we were there, we mostly grilled at the BBQ, and so the only restaurant I know of is Roy's. I think there is a Monkey Pod opening nearby? Looking forward to it!

Best,

Greg

ArubaEileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you -- so if your trade matched in early November, and mine matched earlier this week, that means that Marriott slowly doles out their weeks, versus simply bulk banking what is available. Interesting. Perhaps that is to preserve the trade power of their own weeks? Hmmmm....

I look forward to getting together for a Mai Tai and would also appreciate restaurant recommendations from TUGgers....Last time we were there, we mostly grilled at the BBQ, and so the only restaurant I know of is Roy's. I think there is a Monkey Pod opening nearby? Looking forward to it!

Best,

Greg
I heard Monkey Pod is open nearby and is excellent! I would love to hear from others who have been there too!

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

Best,

Greg

Monkey Pod is now open. I had a great Dunkel there. I highly recommend Duke's, Mike's Huli Chicken, and the Kona Brewing Company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg
Congrats on your great trade! Our first visit to Ko'Olina was last month and we had a lovely 2-BR unit in Hale Kona. We very much enjoyed eating out at Monkey Pod, and then discovered La Hiki Kitchen and Mina's Fish House at the Four Seasons. If our waistlines could stand it, we would have eaten every meal at the Four Seasons! It's an easy 5 minute drive and they have valet parking, or you can take the Shuttle from the Marriott over to the Four Seasons (the Shuttle also goes over to Monkey Pod). Enjoy! CJ

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all who responded. We will be going weeks 48-50.
Here's what I'd do. Assuming I had no travel needs/wants prior with these deposits I'd put in both but put in the one I wanted to use first then the other one. One of the issues here is that this will be near the end of both deposits assuming both are the 2018 weeks. If there are other things on your trade list that's after, I'd go ahead and put them on the exchange request that way if you end up needing to cancel one for some reason, hopefully because you matched both, you can reinstate your exchange with the current priority and at the current exchange rate.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Congrats on your great trade! Our first visit to Ko'Olina was last month and we had a lovely 2-BR unit in Hale Kona. We very much enjoyed eating out at Monkey Pod, and then discovered La Hiki Kitchen and Mina's Fish House at the Four Seasons. If our waistlines could stand it, we would have eaten every meal at the Four Seasons! It's an easy 5 minute drive and they have valet parking, or you can take the Shuttle from the Marriott over to the Four Seasons (the Shuttle also goes over to Monkey Pod). Enjoy! CJ
Or a beautiful 10-15 minute walk along the ocean.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I heard Monkey Pod is open nearby and is excellent! I would love to hear from others who have been there too!
We love Monkey Pod - a new favorite of our family.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I'm happy to report another good trade via II
Congrats on getting the trade you wanted.

Likewise we have had great success with II trades in recent years. Contrary to rumors and scare tactics, Interval International trades are alive and well.

I think you were smart to reserve a prime week and deposit 2BR intact. We follow the same strategy to trade into highly-desirable resorts during high season. That approach has never failed to deliver the trades we want.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm happy to report another good trade via II -- interesting on a couple of fronts.

I'd deposited an intact/prime time 2BR Shadow Ridge that was February 2018 reservation date. I made the reservation in January 2017 and have been sitting on it but it was a very high TDI week (I think 150). I viewed it as a powerful deposit for those reasons (high TDI and full 2BR).

I'd put in various trade requests, including either Waiohai or Ko Olina for October/November -- and started this trade request in early November 2017.

It just matched to a 2BR at Ko Olina for Nov 2 check-in, which is perfect for me.

Two things interested me about this trade:

1) It took ~6 weeks to match -- I thought it would match more quickly considering I was looking for an off-season 2BR -- but it is still almost 11 months out, so that's pretty good. Also, I realize I started my request "late" and would have missed a 13 month reservation

2) Unit code is HZZAA, so this is a developer deposit, 11 months out. I didn't think Marriott was depositing there weeks this far out, but they are. That's good for us, since they have so much Ko Olina inventory, and it may be easier to get an earlier trade when Marriott has lots of inventory in the Trust

Finally, it's an ZZAA, so hopefully I will get some glimpse of the ocean. I went last month to Oahu (Grand Waikikian) with my brothers-in-law and my brother, and I plan to repeat the invitation for the Boys Trip. I hope it works!

Best,

Greg
This is great news!! Congrats Greg, I hope the stars align and you get a fantastic view and really enjoy the trip.

I'm also loving II. For some time I didn't even have an II acct because I just didn't see the value. I rejoined over the last 4 years when I bought a few Harbour Pointe units and wanted to see what II could do.

I am so pleasantly surprised. I have traded for a Winter 2BDRM MOC, summer Grande Ocean and Monarch.

What I found at least from my experience is the earliest you get your trade in the better. I only do request first because I want either my week or the exchange I requested so the years I get my requests in as soon as the system allows I got every one of my trades and in the 10-12 month window. The one year I delayed until the 11 month window the trades took until the 7-8 month time frame so I think the early request gets the worm the soonest.

I also think that everyone underestimates how much II wants to make a trade so they can make their money so if you offer a reasonable request and you put it in as early as possible the trade will happen.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
II still comes through. Got 2BR spring break ski week at Tahoe Timber lodge in exchange for a studio Shadow Ridge (+upgrade$). Looking at Redweek and Marriott.com, this week would cost about $2,200-2,500. My cost is about $600.

Kids are stoked.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
II still comes through. Got 2BR spring break ski week at Tahoe Timber lodge in exchange for a studio Shadow Ridge (+upgrade$). Looking at Redweek and Marriott.com, this week would cost about $2,200-2,500. My cost is about $600.

Kids are stoked.

I think you have underestimated your costs. With the Marriott to Marriott exchange fee $139 and a platinum upgrade x2 @ $119.00 and 1/2 maintenance plus lock off fee your costs are closer to $ $900 to $1000. You still got a great value but the days of a SR exchange costing $600 are long gone. I miss those days.

$139+$119+$40+$700=$998

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have underestimated your costs. With the Marriott to Marriott exchange fee $139 and a platinum upgrade x2 @ $119.00 and 1/2 maintenance plus lock off fee your costs are closer to $ $900 to $1000. You still got a great value but the days of a SR exchange costing $600 are long gone. I miss those days.

$139+$119+$40+$700=$998
If his week is enrolled then there is no exchange fee for m2m nor lock off fee. Also, if the studio comes from a 2 bdrm then the 1 bdrm worth more than the studio, so 50% is not used but 60/40 or else.