• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good Eats in San Luis Obispo

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Firestone Grill has become our stop when going from San Jose area to either L.A. or San Diego. For my money they have the best Tri-Tip sandwich I have ever had. This is about the 6th time we have stopped there and it has always been perfect. I love it with grilled onions on it and my wife likes it without the onions. We have actually driven there when we have stayed in Solvang because we crave the sandwich so much. We have had Tri-Tip at other places and so far nothing compares.
Bart

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Firestone Grill is an excellent stop along the way for tri-tip but when I think tri-tip I think Santa Maria tri-tip. It is fine eating but we prefer the Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe (a little west of Santa Maria). We were out in that neck of the woods this past summer and stopped on our way from Hearst Castle. To our delight we saw they were building a second establishment near Orcutt (a little closer to Santa Maria) and to Solvang!!. I love tri-tip and it's been available here in Arizona for quite a while. The secret, in my opinion, is the crusting spread. The Cool Cat Cafe is a popular hot spot with the locals in SLO, too. The Neon Carrot serves beef from the Hearst Castle Ranch. You can get them at Hearst Castle but they are more expensive and not any better - the Neon Carrot is a little dive in a strip center (hard to find) but they serve some other good grub. All three are worth a visit in my opinion. The Neon Carrot even makes their own condiments! :clap:

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
In SLO we frequent Woodstocks (pizza) - very popular with the locals. I have heard good things about Fat Cats in Avila Beach (near the San Luis Bay Inn TS), and we may try this next month when we visit during spring break. Mama's Meatballs maybe good as well. Farmers Market on Thursday night offers some decent food.