• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good eats in Hanalei

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hanalei Taro and Juice Company--a stand on the Makai side of the road just past Hanalei Dophin.

Three of us ate at their picnic tables and none of us could eat everything that was served because the portions are so generous. The family that owns the Taro farm just as you come into Hanalei owns the misnamed Taro and Juice Co.

The cost for three plate lunches, including drinks, $21, twenty one bucks!

That isn't a misprint and it was some of the best food we had on the Island in two weeks. If you don't mind sitting at a picnic table and eating out of styrofoam give it a try, otherwise take it back to the condo. 5* food.

Sterling

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Great Recommendation.

We're heading to WPORV in March and so we'll be spending a good deal of time in Hanalei. We will definitely put this on our list of things not to miss! Thank you!

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I still remember the seafood chowder at the Dolphin -- best chowder I've ever had. Every time I get to Kauai, it's worth a special trip.

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Hanalei. And I love the little single lane bridges to get there. Oh, if I could be there now ... Sigh ...
:hysterical:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Sterling. It's now on my list for "Places to stop and eat while driving around the island."

But I have to say, I've never put "Five Stars" and "Plate Lunch" into the same sentence before. LOL! :)

Dave

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They must have changed their name. I haven't been to Kauai for 10 years or so, but I still remember what used to be called "Hanalei Mixed Plate". I liked the food so much that I bought a T-shirt, so that's how I remember the name.

I think it's the same place Sterling is talking about. A little stand on the side of the main road, on the right just as you're entering town from Princeville. Wonderful, wonderful food. Mostly rice plates and the like, but I've never tasted anything so wonderful for so cheap before or since!

I've got to get back to Kauai, just to taste their heavenly food, if for no other reason.

Thanks for the memories.

-Bob

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Blues, you may want to start singing...

the blues.

The Mixed Plate was sold and is now downgraded several notches imho. It now serves a disappointing quality of Asian food. They still serve Kalua Pork, for the loyalists who stop by for the old Mixed Plate, but it is a poor substitue for what used to be served there. This review reflects what was there in January. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something else is there now, but I seriously doubt that Sterling is referring to what used to be the Mixed Plate, unless it has, in fact, changed yet again.

I've never been to the place that Sterling is talking about, but I am looking forward to giving it a try this coming January.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bummer :annoyed: They sure did serve a mean kalua pork. If and when we get back to Kauai, I'll give Sterling's recommendation a try.

In the glass half full category(*), we have reservations at HHV on Oahu in Feb. Now I don't have to obsess about missing Hanalei Mixed Plate while we frolic in Waikiki.

-Bob
(*) Some people are optimists, and see the glass as half full. Some people are pessimists, and see the glass as half empty. Me, I'm an engineer. I think the glass was designed twice as large as it needs to be.

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last week. Good food. I'm not convinced it's ***** but it is good food. Another place we enjoyed was Kauai Pasta Company in Kapa'a and Joe's on the Green in Poipu.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You disagree with me. I disagree with you about Joe's.

Very consistent--they WILL burn your potatoes for breakfast. Three times in a row.

Sterling

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that "burned potatoes" weren't ordered by default??? Maybe that's the "usual" way they cook them, and you have to "really tell them" that you don't want them burned !!!

Tony

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh! We had rice instead of potatoes at Joe's. The eggs in the omelets were really fluffy and the service was fantastic.