• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good bye to Capital One

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I have had a Cap One card for many years to avoid the foreign exchange fees. But, on my last three European trips in the past year, even though I have been diligent about notifications, I have gotten email notices about potential frauds. This necessitates a collect call back to Cap One to Katmandu or wherever their call center is located to speak to a non-native English speaking "Peggy" in order to tell them, "Yes, those are my charges".

I always ask "Don't you know I am traveling?" and they say yes but we want to make sure. Escalation to "Peggy's boss" results in the sane BS about making sure. I had even got an email thanking me for the notification after I had left The States and had made the charges they questioned.:rolleyes:

BTW, they also keep sending me transfer balance checks even though I had requested twice over a year ago to stop.

Since other cards are now deleting the charges, the Cap One card is headed to the shredder when I get back from Spain.

Cheers

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh no!

I just recently applied for the card for my upcoming trip to Scotland. I am so "worried" about handling the currency and was hoping this was the "answer". What other alternatives exist?

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have had a Cap One card for many years to avoid the foreign exchange fees.

Same for me. This summer I told Cap One I'd be traveling to the Netherlands, Germany, France & Switzerland and no one questioned the charges.

Has increased fraud caused them to be more cautious? Were you traveling in an area that is suspect? I wonder what was different. Perhaps more TUGgers will report their experiences.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Capital One is fine in Canada, Mexico and Panama. 3 points on every travel dollar.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living and working in Europe, I use Cap One as my main card over here. In four and a half years, I have occaisionally run into the problem of them freezing my credit over purchases here. I have found that only happens with several purchases in a short period. Annoyingly, they have no mechanism for a long term notation on accounts that the holder is abroad, even when the mailing address on the card is outside the US! Putting a notation on the account that one is abroad is good for up to 3 months, then you have to do it again.

Still, Cap One overall works well for me, and I am keeping it.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any other good option for a card that does not charge the 3% on international purchases?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
my premium Marriott card (don't reember what it's called--the one that gives a free night certificate every year) does not charge the foreign fees. You also get extended warranty coverage--which I have used with no issues. Elaine

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my Cap One card af ew times when in Europe this summer and also in Canada just before that trip. No issues.

The OP may somehow have his account flagged...? Maybe a call now that you are home might uncover some underlying issue?

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used my Cap One card af ew times when in Europe this summer and also in Canada just before that trip. No issues.

The OP may somehow have his account flagged...? Maybe a call now that you are home might uncover some underlying issue?

I pay in full every month. Whenever I call there is NO rationale given to me for the "suspicious activity" that triggers this annoyance. It's not as though I am buying a Bently or a Ferrari. The biggest charges have been a couple of hundred for hotels or tickets for the train and the smallest is to top up my Euro phone for 10 quid or so.

If they would just tell me what trips the wire, I would fix it.

Since they have been non responsive, it hits the shredder tomorrow when I get back from Spain. At least I think they are non responsive since I usually have to go through two or more representatives before I get one that is semi intelligible. Maybe "Peggy" explained somewhere along the line and I missed it.:D

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any other good option for a card that does not charge the 3% on international purchases?

Some credit unions do not charge the fee. AMEX Platinum also has waived the fee but it is a cool $450 a year. Since it includes both AA and DL airport clubs and I pay that much for each one very year, I will likely get that one.

Cheers

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I had the same experience as the OP. I was in Canada and they allowed the hotel charge, then froze it so the gas station refused it. I called (this was 10 am) and talked to somebody who didn't understand or speak English very well and she unfroze it. I told her any charges in Canada were good. That afternoon, I checked into another motel and they ran the deposit and then froze it again so I had to pay cash at the grocery store. Same day. Another person with a worse accent and I just kept asking for a supervisor and somebody without an accent. They had a whole series of questions to verify my identity based on data mining and some of the pieces of info were incorrect. I figured out what was going on and finally got to a supervisor who could straighten it out and she did something so that the trigger didn't hit. However, the amount of time spent on this and the aggravation factor means I am also looking for an alternative.

On the one hand, I like that they take security so seriously. On the other hand, I don't know why using a credit card at a motel, gas station and grocery store would trigger suspicious activity. This was in Sept and I was in Canada again in October and used it without any problem.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has increased fraud caused them to be more cautious? Were you traveling in an area that is suspect? I wonder what was different. Perhaps more TUGgers will report their experiences.

Here's the list. Copenhagen, Malmo, London, Paris, Berlin, Lisbon, Madrid. No clue if these are hotbeds of fraud. :confused:

BTW, I just payed my Madrid hotel bill and checked into the Barajas Airport Hilton with the same card and so far so good. :whoopie: OTOH, who knows about tomorrow?:ignore:

Cheers

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was annoyed by Capital One recently for the same reason. I went to buy groceries at our local store and had my card turned down. Groceries? Really? It was the only card I took with me, and I did not appreciate the way the gal looked at me after the card was rejected. I said, "That cannot be right," and she handed me some little piece of paper with the reason for the block of the card (couldn't read it, it was so small). Then she rolled her eyes at me. Apparently she was annoyed, but not as annoyed as I was, I promise you that.

I called Capital One when I got home, and because I charged $4,000 in MF's that day, it was enough to flag the account. They gave me a $20 account credit for the inconvenience, which was a nice gesture.

nsstampqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Just Capital One

I use my Capital One when travelling and have never had an issue - Mexico, Florida, Jamaica, Dominican Republic - hotels, restaurants, tours, shopping etc. However, my hubby and I were travelling to the next province over last month, we charged gas every day and they froze his Chase Manhattan Mastercard - really??? He called and they said it was because he charged fuel every day in the same country???

One thing that's always surprised me when I call Capital One to notify them I will be travelling - they always act like why are you bothering me with this, why are you calling and telling me this??? CIBC our bank is the same way - we notify and they act like why are you bothering to do this??? I am sure if we didn't they would cut us off the minute we hit the airport and buy something at duty free on the way out of the country! Makes no sense does it!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Am-Ex once rejected a car rental in Anchorage (l had a Visa-CC alternative).
Then, a few months later there was a bogus charge for a car rental in Vegas.

IOW, I can't rent myself a car in Alaska, but "I" can rent someone else a car in Vegas?

The CC industry clearly needs better programs to figure out what's suspicious and what isn't.

akp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't Cancel!!!

Don't cancel that Cap One card if you've had it for years! Put it in your sock drawer instead.

I recently canceled a BofA card I'd had for 15 years...stupid. I didn't realize the impact that your older cards have on your credit. I'll be in AARP before I have that length of credit history back! Credit is still excellent, but we were in rare air territory well over 800 FICO scores with that card on the credit reports.

There are lots of cards now that don't have FOREX fees, fyi, so just shop around.

But hang on to your old Cap One!

Anita

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, not just Capital One

I had my Discover card frozen after I bought $10 (!!) worth of gas in Chicago. Yeah, I know, that's about a thimbleful of gas. But I only used the car for a couple days, just to get to and from the airport. I called to complain, and they said it was an anti-fraud measure (obviously). Yes, I was 2000 miles from my residence. But, as I pointed out, people do use credit cards while travelling. And 10 bucks?!!? I tried to get the card flagged to be able to be used for travel, but they said I'd have to call before every trip. 10 bucks?!!

-Bob

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
That's how they do it

However, my hubby and I were travelling to the next province over last month, we charged gas every day and they froze his Chase Manhattan Mastercard - really??? He called and they said it was because he charged fuel every day in the same country???

Not surprising. This is a common technique that criminals use to test the validity of a stolen card. Every day they will charge gas at a pump and if the charge goes through, they will then get a big screen TV at Best Buy.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the list. Copenhagen, Malmo, London, Paris, Berlin, Lisbon, Madrid. No clue if these are hotbeds of fraud. :confused:

BTW, I just payed my Madrid hotel bill and checked into the Barajas Airport Hilton with the same card and so far so good. :whoopie: OTOH, who knows about tomorrow?:ignore:

Cheers

And that is the MOST irritating thing, isn't it? Credit cards are supposed to provide some level of peace of mind and that is not what is happening anymore. Aggravating.

To add my tale to the pile... I was at WalMart and I was staging the rental property for sale (it sold, yeah, but another nightmare) so I did have a larger than usual bill... $500. My BofA card was declined. I never have a balance on it and my credit line is rather large. Ok, so I paid with another card (it was still embarrassing).

When I called BOA they said it was unusally high amount (but I've charged over $350 before) and if I want to charge that much I should call them first. Call them first? Like when I am in line at WalMart and I realize I may be over $X amount? And I can give them personal idenitfying info in front of everyone else in line? At WalMart? Ummm, no thanks, I'll just give my business to someone else. Unless they can also allow me to stay up after my bedtime and have a sugary snack. I do understand where they are coming from but geez.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my cards issued by a credit union will not work in Romania unless I specifically set it up with them to work there and agree to take any charge originating in Romania. However, there is no problem using it is Greece, which has a much worse record of credit card fraud than Romania. My other cards work fine in Romania including a card from a different credit union.

I have also had problems with some LCC airlines websites and using CapOne, particularly WizzAir. Indeed sometimes it is so bad that any Visa card I try with Wizz comes up declined, but CapOne is the worst. But CapOne does work with Wizz sometimes. The problem there is that their card charges are processed through Verified by Visa, and every time I call the bank about one of those declines, the charge never reached the bank. It got declined by Verified by Visa before it ever got there. They use a different service for Mastercard, and that always works, but it really irriates me to pay the 3% junk fee associated with my Mastercards. My low or no fee cards are all Visa.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we use our Capital One card in the Middle East and feel safe ?

We need to write down the 1-800# for customer service and kept it in a safe place to call if we encounter any problem ? Correct.

How far in advance do we need call to notify Capital One that we are traveling in the Middle East ?

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How far in advance do we need call to notify Capital One that we are traveling in the Middle East ?

You don't even have to call. You can set it up yourself online. Just go into your account, go to Customer Service, then under Service Requests you'll find a link to Set Travel Notifications.

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
I have had a Cap One card for many years to avoid the foreign exchange fees. But, on my last three European trips in the past year, even though I have been diligent about notifications, I have gotten email notices about potential frauds. This necessitates a collect call back to Cap One to Katmandu or wherever their call center is located to speak to a non-native English speaking "Peggy" in order to tell them, "Yes, those are my charges".

I always ask "Don't you know I am traveling?" and they say yes but we want to make sure. Escalation to "Peggy's boss" results in the sane BS about making sure. I had even got an email thanking me for the notification after I had left The States and had made the charges they questioned.:rolleyes:

BTW, they also keep sending me transfer balance checks even though I had requested twice over a year ago to stop.

Since other cards are now deleting the charges, the Cap One card is headed to the shredder when I get back from Spain.

Cheers
c'mon don't they just fudge their exchange rates to make it up?
Capital One is fine in Canada, Mexico and Panama. 3 points on every travel dollar.
points, points really have no meaning until you reference what a point is worth in exchange for something
I pay in full every month. Whenever I call there is NO rationale given to me for the "suspicious activity" that triggers this annoyance. It's not as though I am buying a Bently or a Ferrari. The biggest charges have been a couple of hundred for hotels or tickets for the train and the smallest is to top up my Euro phone for 10 quid or so.

If they would just tell me what trips the wire, I would fix it.

Since they have been non responsive, it hits the shredder tomorrow when I get back from Spain. At least I think they are non responsive since I usually have to go through two or more representatives before I get one that is semi intelligible. Maybe "Peggy" explained somewhere along the line and I missed it.:D
If they tell you what trips the wire then everyone knows and their 'system' has no value at all
Some credit unions do not charge the fee. AMEX Platinum also has waived the fee but it is a cool $450 a year. Since it includes both AA and DL airport clubs and I pay that much for each one very year, I will likely get that one.

Cheers
c'mon don't they just fudge their exchange rates to make it up?
I was annoyed by Capital One recently for the same reason. I went to buy groceries at our local store and had my card turned down. Groceries? Really? It was the only card I took with me, and I did not appreciate the way the gal looked at me after the card was rejected. I said, "That cannot be right," and she handed me some little piece of paper with the reason for the block of the card (couldn't read it, it was so small). Then she rolled her eyes at me. Apparently she was annoyed, but not as annoyed as I was, I promise you that.

I called Capital One when I got home, and because I charged $4,000 in MF's that day, it was enough to flag the account. They gave me a $20 account credit for the inconvenience, which was a nice gesture.
that's amazing!
Can we use our Capital One card in the Middle East and feel safe ?

We need to write down the 1-800# for customer service and kept it in a safe place to call if we encounter any problem ? Correct.

don't write down the 800# write down the actual long distance# with area code !

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You don't even have to call. You can set it up yourself online. Just go into your account, go to Customer Service, then under Service Requests you'll find a link to Set Travel Notifications.

And if you tell them by phone or on the net or via carrier pigeon, it doesn't seem to matter. They still send you notes to call them or freeze your card for some obscure reason. :hysterical:

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems it is only Cap One in my case

BTW, I have had an AMEX since 1966 and never have had a problem using all over North, Central and South America and Europe. Same with a Chase and Citi card although they are not as long term in use.

Cheers