• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf on the Big Island

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello again fellow Tuggers,

This is our first trip to the Big Island (in two weeks!) and we would like to try some of the beautiful golf courses. I'm looking for anyone's tips and tricks for keeping the costs within reason - in other words, where did you find the best deals? Places to find coupons, on-line booking sites, less expensive courses, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this!

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makana golf course is the best course for the money in my opinion. Another course is Makalai which is a little less expensive but not as nice. Waikoloa village is also a reasonably priced course but is usually windy as are all of the courses on the north side.

ared505

Reaction score
I consulted our household golfer, who agreed with Cowboy above. He also added you can get greatly reduced afternoon rates at Mauna Lani and Hapuna, "both exciting courses."

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Three websites I'll suggest are:

teeoff.com
golfnow.com
hawaiiteetimes.com/collections/big-island-golf-courses

If you are staying at a resort I'd also suggest checking with them to see if they have any deals with courses. Staying at Kings Land in 2015 got us about 50% off rack rate. If you can find a deal at Mauna Kea that works for you I highly recommend it. I played there on that trip and the scenery, conditions and pace of play were awesome. That being said, I'm not sure what you are going to find condition wise after these course have been closed. I'm guessing the maintenance has been kept up to a certain degree but I'd think it will vary by course.

Some courses might offer multiple play discounts as well. I'd also recommend checking directly on course websites or call as they may have deals to keep some $ these "resellers" would take otherwise.

Have fun!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just be aware those afternoon winds can really blow down the saddle to WaikaBlowa, the only place I ever had to adjust for windage on a putt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just be aware those afternoon winds can really blow down the saddle to WaikaBlowa, the only place I ever had to adjust for windage on a putt!

You mean like this?windy.jpg

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Another vote for Makana, and if you're able to splurge try Mauna Launi, Mauna Kea or Hapuna.

Last edited:

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Three websites I'll suggest are:

teeoff.com
golfnow.com
hawaiiteetimes.com/collections/big-island-golf-courses

ISome courses might offer multiple play discounts as well. I'd also recommend checking directly on course websites or call as they may have deals to keep some $ these "resellers" would take otherwise.

Have fun!

I'll second the websites above. I've also purchased the Hawaii Golf Card - https://www.hawaiigolfdeals.com/big-island-golf/participating-courses/golf-rate-card/ for BI courses. I've also done the free or heavily discounted 2nd play (same day) courses in Waikoloa which provides good value. it's just that it can be windy in the afternoon as others have noted.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Hello again fellow Tuggers,

This is our first trip to the Big Island (in two weeks!) and we would like to try some of the beautiful golf courses. I'm looking for anyone's tips and tricks for keeping the costs within reason - in other words, where did you find the best deals? Places to find coupons, on-line booking sites, less expensive courses, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this!
As an avoid golfer, a course rater for Golfweek Magazine, and having played in two US Senior Opens among 30 USGA Championships, I have some opinions here. By far, Mauna Kea is the class course on the island (other than the privates). When I was there last year they had a deal where you pay for a couple of rounds and get a reduced price. We only played once, and wished we had time to play it once or twice more. The two courses at Mauna Lani are quite nice and reasonably priced, but the one NOT near the ocean is definitely the better golf course. Yes, there are a couple of holes on the ocean that are very photogenic, but again, the inland course is a very good course. Again, apart from some exceptional private courses, I'd be perfectly content to play the two Mauna Lani courses and two or three rounds at Mauna Kea and call it a day.

Here is the famous 3rd hole at Mauna Kea. I do not recommend playing the back tees unless you can carry it 245 in the air. It takes about 236 in the air to clear the wall from the back-back tee! But do go back there to check it out and take a picture. :)

1606788192517.png

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this info csodjd. No chance of us coming even remotely close to the black tees, we are your average retired duffers who love golf but are not very good at it. But for sure it would be nice just to see such a spectacular location!

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MaunaKea.jpg
This is a pic of the 3rd hole @ Mauna Kea I took in 2015. The tee I hit from was about 180 yards. In my trip review I wrote that it was in the Top 3 of courses that I'd played.