• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golden Corral (split from Stay at home humor thread)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Never eaten at Golden Corral. Really. Am I missing something? LOL

No. It's like Denny's - without the ambience. ;)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had lunch in a GC maybe 20 years ago. Never been in one since. Didn't need to. 'Nuff said.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
I had lunch in a GC maybe 20 years ago. Never been in one since. Didn't need to. 'Nuff said.
Ditto! Went there once when the kids were little -- vowed afterwards to never return to one again!

Brett

Reaction score
Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, Tuggers please be kind to GC.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
if you haven't gone to a golden corral how do you know?
Their reputation must be bad!

I guess we should pity the TUG people that meet every year at the Golden Corral in Orlando Florida o_O

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/come-to-orlando-jan-22-for-our-2020-tug-meeting.294683/

I am one of them. Lol. I can tell you from first hand experience that all Golden Corrals are not the same by a long shot. A few months before going to my first TUG get together a friend had been telling me that it's possible to eat very healthy at Golden Corral. He cares for his very elderly father, they frequently stay at the timeshare resorts in Orlando and often eat at Golden Corral. I decided to give it a try when I was in Orlando by myself with our then 4 year old granddaughter. When she and I got back to our house for the rest of her stay it took some work to convince my husband to give our local GC a try but we were both pleased with the selection at our location too. When we were all talking to our son about where we had eaten he couldn't believe that I of all people would willing set foot in a GC a second time. He assumed I was sacrificing to make his daughter happy because she loved the chocolate covered strawberries we did in chocolate fountain. Several months later when I took her home from another stay with us she and I had a Grandma and Zoey day out. After going to the playground and getting our hair cut we made the horrible choice to eat at a GC there in Ohio. It was absolutely awful and not just in the selection of foods they offered. We left still slightly hungry. When we got back from our day out and were telling our son and DIL about it they said now you know why we couldn't believe you would ever willingly go back to a GC.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of them. Lol. I can tell you from first hand experience that all Golden Corrals are not the same by a long shot. A few months before going to my first TUG get together a friend had been telling me that it's possible to eat very healthy at Golden Corral. He cares for his very elderly father, they frequently stay at the timeshare resorts in Orlando and often eat at Golden Corral. I decided to give it a try when I was in Orlando by myself with our then 4 year old granddaughter. When she and I got back to our house for the rest of her stay it took some work to convince my husband to give our local GC a try but we were both pleased with the selection at our location too. When we were all talking to our son about where we had eaten he couldn't believe that I of all people would willing set foot in a GC a second time. He assumed I was sacrificing to make his daughter happy because she loved the chocolate covered strawberries we did in chocolate fountain. Several months later when I took her home from another stay with us she and I had a Grandma and Zoey day out. After going to the playground and getting our hair cut we made the horrible choice to eat at a GC there in Ohio. It was absolutely awful and not just in the selection of foods they offered. We left still slightly hungry. When we got back from our day out and were telling our son and DIL about it they said now you know why we couldn't believe you would ever willingly go back to a GC.
Wow - I never thought I would get such a discussion from my sarcastic comment - You all have me curious now that I may have to try GC - JUST Kidding - I never have had a desire to go to one, even before I heard all these comments. Not sure why. Maybe I had a premonition. Which GC in Ohio did you go to?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
GC liked all restaurants that offer any kind of buffets; must change their operation restaurant system and the way they conduct their business because of covid-19. ...

In fact all restaurants that offer dine in service must change their sitting arrangements because of social distancing.

Covid-19 will change our lives, our work spaces & habits, our shopping habits, going to beach and sporting events the list goes on and on ... IMHO.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Wow - I never thought I would get such a discussion from my sarcastic comment - You all have me curious now that I may have to try GC - JUST Kidding - I never have had a desire to go to one, even before I heard all these comments. Not sure why. Maybe I had a premonition. Which GC in Ohio did you go to?

Our son and his family live in Olmsted Falls so it wasn't too far from there. If that had been my first experience with a Golden Corral I can guarantee you that I would never consider even for a second going to another one. If you're staying in Orlando the one we go to for the TUG get together and the one not far from Vacation Village at Parkway are both good. Both locations have a very nice selection of fruits and vegetables and I like the baked fish. The senior lunch is a good deal.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our son and his family live in Olmsted Falls so it wasn't too far from there. If that had been my first experience with a Golden Corral I can guarantee you that I would never consider even for a second going to another one.

That's kind of my experience with IHOP. They opened one in my town, and people raved about it. We went. Meh. The service was poor and the pancakes were raw in the middle. (I don't mean undercooked - we're talking it was still PANCAKE BATTER in the center.) I put it down to the newness of the place. A year later we went again. Service was poor and the pancakes were raw in the middle. WTH? Another few years went by, and my daughter dragged us there for lunch. Guess what? Service was poor, and the pancakes were raw in the middle.

I'm done. I won't be going back. :rolleyes:

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
That's kind of my experience with IHOP. They opened one in my town, and people raved about it. We went. Meh. The service was poor and the pancakes were raw in the middle. (I don't mean undercooked - we're talking it was still PANCAKE BATTER in the center.) I put it down to the newness of the place. A year later we went again. Service was poor and the pancakes were raw in the middle. WTH? Another few years went by, and my daughter dragged us there for lunch. Guess what? Service was poor, and the pancakes were raw in the middle.

I'm done. I won't be going back. :rolleyes:

Dave
Stop ordering pancakes!!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We know this whole meme is a lie. Golden Corral didn't have the Chocolate Wonderfall back in 1982! They didn't introduce it till 2011.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For us, Golden Corral is one of those places we go to when it has been so long since the last time that we have forgotten what it was like. We go and are miserable afterward. I talked about this in 2012. Going to Endless Shrimp or the Never Ending Pasta Bowl ranks up there too.

That said, I enjoyed the Orlando TUG meetup there this past January!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went once on a road trip with friends years ago. Not impressed and would not go back.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Golden Corral's business model isn't to offer a five star dining experience. They offer average service with average food to the bargain conscious diner. Nothing more. They aren't out to try and earn any Michelin Stars. Looking for a full belly at a cheap price? Golden Corral is the ticket!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Brett

Reaction score

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like others we were hit or miss on GC. We went a few times when our kids were young in the Orlando area. You cannot beat a buffet for kids. Many choices and those desserts. Quick easy and cheap. We enjoyed the Orlando area ones and tried one by us. This was the worst restaurant experience we have ever had. For waistline reasons we do not hit them now. However, a couple years ago after a very long hiking day in the Smokies it was easy to stop at the one in Pigeon Forge as it was late and we were starving. Made myself a nice salad and pigged out on steamed shrimp. I waddled away very satisfied.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The GC that Tuggers used is one of the better one. The food is always hot and fresh. Great location..Plus, the staff are very curious IMHO.