• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Lagunamar update Tomorrow, any questions?

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
We just got here and decided to do an update tomorrow. Any specific questions I should ask?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
If you've got a few hours to spare read through this thread. I'm sure there are 100s of questions on there. Alternatively, just enjoy your vacation and ask the questions pertinent to your situation :)

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
If you've got a few hours to spare read through this thread. I'm sure there are 100s of questions on there. Alternatively, just enjoy your vacation and ask the questions pertinent to your situation :)

Pretty much hundreds of the same questions. Lol.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Maybe ask who will win the Stanley Cup this year? I’m guessing they haven’t heard that one before.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
How was it?

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I´ve been 3 times, before the third invitation we refused due to the high pressure, but the supervisor called us and told that nobody could be aggressive with us, and if we have any problem contact to him, the update was fast and easy, after we said to the sales person no thanks, he let us go.

Last edited:

Watford

Reaction score
I´ve been 3 times, before the third invitation we refused due to the high pressure, but the supervisor called us and told that nobody could be aggressive with us, and if we have any problem contact to him, the update was fast and easy, after we said to the sales person no thanks, he let us go.
We went today and I would say it’s the most aggressive presentation I’ve been to anywhere. They offered us $100 to go and after we declined many times it went to $150. Well we took it and they were pushing us to buy 44000 eoy at Lagunamar for 11,000 dollars. this would grandfather us into the Marriott system.
said no many times but they kept saying why are you passing up such a great deal. the big threat is that with all the new M people thete would be ni mire availability for us in the future if wd did not join.
After saying no numerous times to the closer we went ti see the woman who "was going to ask us about our experience but who of course tried to sell us another deal. she was rude and pushy and suggested we did not know what we were talking about so in the end we got up and left.
a very disappointing experience.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Totally expected...

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
We went today and I would say it’s the most aggressive presentation I’ve been to anywhere. They offered us $100 to go and after we declined many times it went to $150. Well we took it and they were pushing us to buy 44000 eoy at Lagunamar for 11,000 dollars. this would grandfather us into the Marriott system.
said no many times but they kept saying why are you passing up such a great deal. the big threat is that with all the new M people thete would be ni mire availability for us in the future if wd did not join.
After saying no numerous times to the closer we went ti see the woman who "was going to ask us about our experience but who of course tried to sell us another deal. she was rude and pushy and suggested we did not know what we were talking about so in the end we got up and left.
a very disappointing experience.

These are the types of presentations that really ruin 2-3 days of a nice relaxing vacation because I keep thinking about them at the pool, during meals and even at night. But I'm too much of a fan of "free" points to stop going....

That said, since we did end up making a developer purchase in one of these "updates," I don't feel bad about signing up "knowing I will never buy" because you never actually know... I'm actually looking forward to going to one of these soon to hear some of the new stories for myself.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
That surprises me. I’ve always found Lagunamar presentations to be pretty laid back. You obviously haven’t sat through a presentation in Orlando…..

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
That surprises me. I’ve always found Lagunamar presentations to be pretty laid back. You obviously haven’t sat through a presentation in Orlando…..
Try Vidanta. We got 4 Chichen Itza Bus tours and 4 all day all inclusive Catamaran tours to Isla Mujeres. Over $1000 worth of goodies, but we wouldn't do it again. Lol.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
These are the types of presentations that really ruin 2-3 days of a nice relaxing vacation because I keep thinking about them at the pool, during meals and even at night. But I'm too much of a fan of "free" points to stop going....

That said, since we did end up making a developer purchase in one of these "updates," I don't feel bad about signing up "knowing I will never buy" because you never actually know... I'm actually looking forward to going to one of these soon to hear some of the new stories for myself.

Um... how much time do you spend on the tug. Lol.

Usually, I leave it up to my wife to decide if she wants to go. This time I wanted to go to hear what was said. They gave us $200, or 15 orders of chicken nachos in John Currency.

I wasn't going to post this because I don’t think anyone is going to believe this is possible, but here is what I think after my update. Of course, I am NOT talking about non retro resale.

Occam's razor...

The biggest constant for me has been that nothing will change if you want to continue to use your Vistana ownership. I've heard this over and over from multiple sources, not just sales.

So if Vistana ownership will not change, the only thing to change is the club.

I think every presentation, I've been to during this journey, has pitched we are going to have trouble booking at 8 months. It seems that 8 months is the only road block in both systems.

A simple solution is that a new class, Club Points, could be created at 8 months. (Our sales rep said there will be a new currency called "Club Points" but no details about how they will be actually used) This could allow booking at any resort, MVC or Vistana. Nothing changes except access to more resorts in both systems. Availability may be an issue, but they didn't have a problem selling Aventuras without availability.

The final tweak I can think of is they allow us to trade our home options for destination points, allowing some earlier availability for Vistana with Destination Points.

‐‐------------

I did ask her about the 5009 Lagunamar weeks that were owned by the developer at the end of the year(see image). She said these weeks were buybacks and trade ins that have been in limbo. She claimed they just dropped into the system as staroptions at 8 months. She also claimed that they will all go into aventuras, but I'm not sure I believe that. Why would they change what they have been doing. I suspect they will drop the weeks that they expect will not be able to sell through Bonvoy. Why would they dump weeks they can rent? They do own them, but still have to follow the rules of ownership. I think they will only completely be added back to the system when a need arises due to sell of Destination Points.

Finally, she said that Marriott cannot build ownership resorts in Mexico because the Mexican government limits foreign ownership in a given field. MVC owns property as apposed to Marriott hotels which are franchised. She said any future Mexican resorts will therefore be Westins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-120412_Kindle~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-120412_Kindle~2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 25

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Finally, she said that Marriott cannot build ownership resorts in Mexico because the Mexican government limits foreign ownership in a given field. MVC owns property as apposed to Marriott hotels which are franchised. She said any future Mexican resorts will therefore be Westins.
I doubt we will see another MVC/Vistana timeshare resort in Mexico the foreseeable future; like 20-30 years. I am not sure the brand on the door matters though. I doubt that the underlying corporation for Westin Lagunamar has "Westin" in the name.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I doubt we will see another MVC/Vistana timeshare resort in Mexico the foreseeable future; like 20-30 years. I am not sure the brand on the door matters though. I doubt that the underlying corporation for Westin Lagunamar has "Westin" in the name.

I doubt we will see ANY new build timeshare properties in our lifetime. They’ll all be acquired or converted.

Regarding Lagunanar, IIRC you are right correct. “It’s Cancún Lagunamar Property Association.” No Westin in its name.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Regarding Lagunanar, IIRC you are right correct. “It’s Cancún Lagunamar Property Association.” No Westin in its name.
I would suspect Westin Aventuras is the same. Westin is just used for marketing, but whatever underlying system they have for the ownership doesn't include Westin.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would suspect Westin Aventuras is the same. Westin is just used for marketing, but whatever underlying system they have for the ownership doesn't include Westin.

Aventuras is “Aventuras Owners Association, Inc.”

Last edited: