• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to buy DVC again.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been timeshare free for a while now. I have decided to buy a small DVC contract for lots of reasons. I have a couple offers in for Polynesian and waiting to hear back. While I am in no rush, there's nothing to stop me from pulling the trigger when I do hear back. If neither like my offer, I will just keep making offers. There's no rush on my part.

I chose Poly because they have 2 bathrooms in the studio - although only one has a toilet. The resort has theming that I like and I'd be pretty happy staying there every 2-3 years (which is what I'd get with my small contract). The resort itself has enough going on to keep me busy. Of course, being a Disney fanatic, I will go to the parks.

This purchase will give me owner status again, which will likely allow me to purchase the Disneyland tower in a smaller contract when that goes on sale. That's just a side benefit, though. I've been waiting to see that go on sale and I'd love to buy a tiny package there. Non DVC people currently have to buy 125 points when buying direct, while current owners can buy 25-50 points at new resorts.

Before anyone asks, I'll point out:
1.) I owned DVC before and completely understand the system.
2.) I have the funds to pay for this.
3.) The annual dues are very manageable
4.) It's reasonable that I will be able to use this product exactly as it is (no need to trade, etc)
5.) There's a very remote chance that I can use these points for VGC (where I used to own and where I visit often) or Aulani if I ever feel like I need a one or two night stay on that part of the island.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I totally get it! We sold our larger DVC contract last summer (to free up cash for home renos). It was an excellent plan at the time, but now wish we hadn't sold it and are seriously thinking of repurchasing. I put out 2 offers, which were rejected. I'm not in a hurry.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got word, my offer was accepted on one of the contracts - the one I was most interested in! I offered more on this one than the other based on the use year. Woot! Cigars and drinks on me to come when it closes. :)

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Congrats! Glad we kept 185 of our points.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing like posting before things are set in stone. I had a phone message and an email saying my offer was accepted and to fill out a page and send it back. As soon as I sent it off, agent called and said there was a miscommunication and the seller wants $2 more per point and that's only $100 difference - his words. I said no. They shouldn't have accepted the offer. He is going to talk to his manager and call me back. I don't know that really means either the offer was never accepted or he is going to see if the $100 can come off of their commission? Who knows. It's resalesdvc, the Tutas family. I've done business with them before and they have a really good reputation. :shrug:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
... agent called and said there was a miscommunication and the seller wants $2 more per point and that's only $100 difference - his words. I said no.
Ah, I like your style. Good luck!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Nothing like posting before things are set in stone. I had a phone message and an email saying my offer was accepted and to fill out a page and send it back. As soon as I sent it off, agent called and said there was a miscommunication and the seller wants $2 more per point and that's only $100 difference - his words. I said no. They shouldn't have accepted the offer. He is going to talk to his manager and call me back. I don't know that really means either the offer was never accepted or he is going to see if the $100 can come off of their commission? Who knows. It's resalesdvc, the Tutas family. I've done business with them before and they have a really good reputation. :shrug:
Ah, I like your style. Good luck!

I 2nd this, I do like your style

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
5.) There's a very remote chance that I can use these points for VGC (where I used to own and where I visit often) or Aulani if I ever feel like I need a one or two night stay on that part of the island.

FYI - VGC is now scheduled to open on May 2nd. Of course I had two days reserved for late March.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
When/why did you sell VGC?

I've been thinking of selling our contract because 1. we'd make $90/point since we purchased 2. we will not go to disney as long as masks are required and 3. we stay in 1 bedrooms in the off season, so seems easy to book with sleep around points should we decide to buy again (AND sleep around points are cheaper!). I can't convince my husband yet, so we're just renting/transferring out all our 2020/21 points. I'll be kicking myself if everything tanks though. We purchased resale before the booking restrictions, so that would be a bummer to give up.

We used to want to buy the DLR Tower, but def rethinking that after the last year. I'm not excited about the look/plans either, we much prefer VGC. I think I'd rather buy more VGC over the new tower!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have been timeshare free for a while now. I have decided to buy a small DVC contract for lots of reasons. I have a couple offers in for Polynesian and waiting to hear back. While I am in no rush, there's nothing to stop me from pulling the trigger when I do hear back. If neither like my offer, I will just keep making offers. There's no rush on my part.

I chose Poly because they have 2 bathrooms in the studio - although only one has a toilet. The resort has theming that I like and I'd be pretty happy staying there every 2-3 years (which is what I'd get with my small contract). The resort itself has enough going on to keep me busy. Of course, being a Disney fanatic, I will go to the parks.

This purchase will give me owner status again, which will likely allow me to purchase the Disneyland tower in a smaller contract when that goes on sale. That's just a side benefit, though. I've been waiting to see that go on sale and I'd love to buy a tiny package there. Non DVC people currently have to buy 125 points when buying direct, while current owners can buy 25-50 points at new resorts.

Before anyone asks, I'll point out:
1.) I owned DVC before and completely understand the system.
2.) I have the funds to pay for this.
3.) The annual dues are very manageable
4.) It's reasonable that I will be able to use this product exactly as it is (no need to trade, etc)

My grandson loves Disney, I was thinking of buying a small points purchase as well, what amount of points would be good to purchase for someone that only wants to go every other year or every 3rd year?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
When/why did you sell VGC?
It was quite a while ago, back when it was selling for $115/point and that was a profit because we bought from the developer during the first year of sale. I sold it because we were wanting to go to Hawaii more often and Disney cruises more often. Since we bought from the developer and it was our first timeshare I didn't know that all vacations were cheaper than trading VGC.

I also live close enough to DL that I usually do day visits or only stay for a night or two. I still stay there both in the hotel and in the DVC wing. It's way cheaper to rent points from someone than to own for us. Last February, I almost bought a 125 point contract, but after doing the fuzzy math and projections, it looked like my break even point was so far out that it wasn't worth it. It was easier for me to swallow the $700/night stay in the hotel room for how often I use it and how I like to go there on short notice since I live so close.

Make sure you look at reservations closely before you decide to sell it and use sleep around points. It was never easy for me to get reservations outside of my home booking window. When I read people posting about how they use their SSR points to stay there, often they are booking based on what's available and not when they want to go. That works for some, but if you have to schedule around work or school, that is very difficult. I would much prefer having my VGC back, but I can't make the numbers work for us.
My grandson loves Disney, I was thinking of buying a small points purchase as well, what amount of points would be good to purchase for someone that only wants to go every other year or every 3rd year?
I am only buying 50 points, but I don't intend to ever stay for a week and I will be staying in a studio. If I ever do decide to stay for a week, I'll have to do a split stay and pay cash for the other room. I recommend that you figure out which resort you want to stay at. They each require different points for different weeks of the year and those change every year. You could likely do well with around 75-100 points, but if you are extremely particular about which resort you want, you need to buy for that resort. If you don't mind which resort, buy SSR or OKW, you'll get a lot more for your money. With DVC, one bedrooms are the generally the most available.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sold it because we were wanting to go to Hawaii more often and Disney cruises more often. Since we bought from the developer and it was our first timeshare I didn't know that all vacations were cheaper than trading VGC.

So funny! We've owned several other timeshares, but have been selling them off since buying VGC in 2017! We mostly only went to disney or hawaii! I still have one in hawaii as a trader or place to stay though.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Depends on what size unit you want. I would study the point charts and add a little bit of cushion on top of what you think you might need - although DVC does allow us members to rent up to 24 one time use points from DVC per year at the seven month window or less to complete a reservation.

SunsetMaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hyatt Beach House
Disney Bay Lake
Disney Animal Kingdom
Disney Grand Floridian
Mind if I ask how much you offered per point? I’m looking at Poly too...

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much you offered per point? I’m looking at Poly too...
I paid $170/pp for a 50 point contract. If you buy a larger contract, you can get it for less. I don't negotiate. I don't like to shop and I don't get a rush from getting a good deal. I just say what I am going to pay and they either accept it or not. They did end up accepting it. The broker said I may a very fair and reasonable offer.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
We own 325 points split among BCV and SSR it will be perfect for grandchildren. We have been renting them out each year and staying at Marriott Lakeshore LOL.

Reaction score
My only suggestion would be to buy a 100 point contract at Poly because 50 points is really a small number

Also I would suggest SSR as that will be much less than $170pp resale

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
We were thinking of buying resale into VGC as well, even at the current eye gouging prices. I have a friend that bought VGC around the $160 mark if I remember right.

We prefer DLR, however, in a recent discussions about DVC with my friend, he said he’s actually almost been “moved out” of his own season because of how many times they’ve “reallocated points” and they aren’t able to book a whole week anymore in their season. This put a hard stop on our VGC purchase, and got us ready for the amount of points we will have to buy at the new DLR Tower- should it ever come to fruition.

Do WDW Resorts have this same issue?

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
There has been very little reallocation at VGC-it’s easy to google the points charts for a couple years and compare the seasons you’re interested in. We bought in 2017 for $140-crazy how much prices have increased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
To clarify, I believe what he said what they’ve don’t it at least once, and there is talk of them doing it again.

Just going off of what I can remember from our previous conversations at this point. I’m going to have to do some research on what you’ve said and ask him again!

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've owned since 2017 and there haven't been any reallocations since, even though WDW has had them. I think there's only be one in the history of the resort. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some shifting to raise studios and lower 1 bedrooms, but they didn't seem to do that for WDW during this last reallocation, so what do I know?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were thinking of buying resale into VGC as well, even at the current eye gouging prices. I have a friend that bought VGC around the $160 mark if I remember right.

We prefer DLR, however, in a recent discussions about DVC with my friend, he said he’s actually almost been “moved out” of his own season because of how many times they’ve “reallocated points” and they aren’t able to book a whole week anymore in their season. This put a hard stop on our VGC purchase, and got us ready for the amount of points we will have to buy at the new DLR Tower- should it ever come to fruition.

Do WDW Resorts have this same issue?
It really shouldn't, just buy a cushion of points extra so that you don't get stuck since you know it's a risk. How much extra depends but for most situations 10-20%. Variables to consider when determining the cushion would be target season, unit size, usual timing (weekend vs weekday) and LOS. One should also look at where they intend to use them, SSR vs Riviera for example. If looking at a 1 or 2 BR for a week in the highest season at a resort with a higher points cost, I wouldn't buy any extra. For DVC I think it's a question of when and how they will reallocate, not if. But it might help you just as well as hurt your usage costs because they have to even it out either way.