• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Glut of DVC Resale Listings?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney must be seeing some softening of demand in the current economic environment. That combined with significant new inventory in the pipeline has got to reduce their approach on ROFR. What's hard to know is the extent to which they also see ROFR as a tool to prop up retail prices. As the gap between retail and resale gets bigger and bigger, it will be curious to see if they step back in. So far, I think their attempts to differentiate direct and resale purchases have been limited (and limited success - the Riviera rollout seems a debacle to me).

You'll know whether Disney views it as a success the next time they develop a new HOA. If it has the same restrictions you'll know they found it worth it.

Personally, I suspect many/most direct buyers are either unaware of the difference or don't care.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's hard to know is the extent to which they also see ROFR as a tool to prop up retail prices.
I don't think that's the primary (or possibly even a) purpose of ROFR. Plenty of timeshare developers sell individual ownerships in the low-to-mid 5 figures with resale values at a dime on the dollar or less. Low resale prices are not generally an impediment. If anything, Disney's Reality Distortion Field will be more effective than the others because it's all magical and stuff.

the Riviera rollout seems a debacle to me
I don't see why. It is outselling Grand Floridian, even after the latter had its price dropped slightly lower through more generous incentives. Most of Riviera's run has been during the pandemic. The last time I compared DVC's results pre- and post-pandemic to the other timeshare pure plays, I didn't see much difference in relative performance.

Riviera seems to be doing just fine, despite the sturm und drang around it in the Disneyphile community.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I don’t know if I said this already, but there are plenty of current DVC owners that have no clue about the resale market. We’ve met quite a few during pool time at our various resorts. Even when we explain it all, they seem wary.
Regarding Riviera….the two resale sites I check daily don’t have many Riviera contracts for sale. I know the small ones are snatched up pretty quickly. Seems the prices average about $145 per point. I’ve not kept up with how much inventory is left there. I don’t understand the hatred for the resort, and from what I can see usually from people that haven’t stayed there or done the tour. I guess it’s more anger at Disney for the resale restrictions. I did notice a lot of Polynesian for sale. To me that was a real debacle with the bungalows. And now with the uncertainty of whether or not the new Poly Tower will be part of the existing DVC….I’m thinking it will be a whole new thing, with resale restrictions. And a longer expiration date. It’s kind of fun to sit back and watch since we have no intention of adding on….we have plenty of points at 3 great resorts (including Riviera).

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll know whether Disney views it as a success the next time they develop a new HOA. If it has the same restrictions you'll know they found it worth it.
I have a feeling we will see this with the DLR tower... my guess is it will be a separate HOA/entity from VGC. The poly tower I am guessing will probably be added to the existing HOA just like the new buildings added at VGF.
Disney's Reality Distortion Field will be more effective than the others because it's all magical and stuff.
lol, yup!
I probably would have been in trouble if the guides in California had more info on the new tower last week. I had a serious case of add-on-itis, while I was there but thankfully they weren't selling I really liked VGC & DLR. Then I got home and being outside the "Disney Distortion Field" I quickly came to my senses. lol, I don't even like the towers...

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling we will see this with the DLR tower... my guess is it will be a separate HOA/entity from VGC. The poly tower I am guessing will probably be added to the existing HOA just like the new buildings added at VGF.
Agreed. Particularly since DVC stopped ROFR'ing Poly in Jan 2022 - a reasonable assumption is that DVC foresees a supply of Poly points available for sale soon.

lol, yup!
I probably would have been in trouble if the guides in California had more info on the new tower last week. I had a serious case of add-on-itis, while I was there but thankfully they weren't selling I really liked VGC & DLR. Then I got home and being outside the "Disney Distortion Field" I quickly came to my senses. lol, I don't even like the towers...
The 'fiscally prudent' thing would have been to sell our VGC shortly after the new tower was announced while VGC's prices were still sky-high (as if anything Disney could be considered 'fiscally prudent'). But I *love* VGC - the themeing and location just can't be beat. Plus the new tower has way too many studios and not enough 1BR and 2BR villas.

My danger point will be if/when DVC builds a new Yacht Club/Beach Club tower. It will be very difficult to keep my wallet in my pocket if a new DVC resort is built that is walkable to EPCOT/HS with an expiration date 55-60 years from now...;-)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Agreed. Particularly since DVC stopped ROFR'ing Poly in Jan 2022 - a reasonable assumption is that DVC foresees a supply of Poly points available for sale soon.

The 'fiscally prudent' thing would have been to sell our VGC shortly after the new tower was announced while VGC's prices were still sky-high (as if anything Disney could be considered 'fiscally prudent'). But I *love* VGC - the themeing and location just can't be beat. Plus the new tower has way too many studios and not enough 1BR and 2BR villas.

My danger point will be if/when DVC builds a new Yacht Club/Beach Club tower. It will be very difficult to keep my wallet in my pocket if a new DVC resort is built that is walkable to EPCOT/HS with an expiration date 55-60 years from now...;-)
Jealous of your VGC! That is one I wish I wouldn't have waited to buy. Now it's too late, unless of course we have another economic collapse and the price plummets again. I don't see that happening.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
(as if anything Disney could be considered 'fiscally prudent'). But I *love* VGC - the themeing and location just can't be beat. Plus the new tower has way too many studios and not enough 1BR and 2BR villas.

The onsite guides at VGC were very tight-lipped about the tower - but said that there is officially no word yet on room configurations and anything published isn't legit... I totally disagreed with them on that, and 100% I agree that it will be way too lopsided towards studios and won't offer much relief for 1 & 2-bedroom units in VGC.

nomoretslt

Reaction score

I would maybe think about that too. Although I’ll be in my 80s when my Boardwalk points expire in 2042 so won’t really need to add on for the expiration date. But it is such a nice resort. Love the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

and I’ve noticed a huge increase of resales in the two daily emails I receive from resale sites. Also noticed a big drop in BWV prices…getting closer to 2042. can’t beat the point requirements there though.