• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 29 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $19,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $19 Million dollars
  • Our 2022 Timeshare Survey is now complete and the full results as well as our expert and witty analysis of each question is available here: Here We hope you enjoy reading the results as much as we did!
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 50,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Glut of DVC Resale Listings?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
If the Mouse had a way out, why haven’t they taken it yet? Why wait till the last few years before expiration. I suspect they don’t have a way out. If they did, they wouldn’t be buying up 2042 OKW contracts like they are and wouldn’t be forcing Quit Claims on sellers either.
Some of us are fond of saying that the people who will make the decisions about closing out the 2042 resorts are just now graduating from business school.

chromeo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC x 4
Glut is real, never seen this much VGC. Change is in the air.

Rivera and Aulani are half sold, Grand Floridian is getting there in getting sold. No annual passes, Polynesian and Disneyland tower looming.

cfabar1

Reaction score
Yes, and Reflections likely never being built, or at least in the fashion originally listed.

I don’t think younger people want to feel “tied down”. The beach resorts actually help offset that some, but they are not “big enough” in my view. Also, many families “outgrow” disney, which is part of the problem.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BoardWalk Villas, MVC Grande Vista, WorldMark
When I started looking into DVC last March there were around 1300 contracts available according to https://dvc.market/listing/ Now there are over 1900 available. There was a big surge in listing when the whole 'Don't say gay" deal erupted in Florida.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...never seen this much VGC...Rivera and Aulani are half sold, Grand Floridian is getting there in getting sold...Polynesian and Disneyland tower looming.
People are starting to put their VGC on the market because they are afraid of what will happen to the prices of VGC once DVC starts selling the Disneyland Tower. We thought about it...but the DL tower skews heavily toward studios and is farther away. We'll keep our 2BRs with a private entrance to California Adventure, thank you.

Riviera has the problem that once DVC started selling new VGF contracts there was no reason to put up with resale restrictions if you want to buy direct. If DVC's no longer ROFR'ing Poly contracts means the same will happen to the new Poly construction, Riviera will continue to be the last, worst choice for the foreseeable future.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If DVC's no longer ROFR'ing Poly contracts means the same will happen to the new Poly construction, Riviera will continue to be the last, worst choice for the foreseeable future.
There has not been a single reported ROFR at Poly for many months now. I agree with your assessment, the new tower will be made part of the existing association and therefore no resale restrictions like Riv.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
'Don't say gay" deal erupted in Florida.

The mis-labeling of this law was strange to me. It had little to do with being gay or people teaching about being gay.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We sold about 8 or 9 contracts right as Covid was hitting. I did not own them for long so I was a little below break even. People say DVC always goes up and they make money on them. This was not my experience owning the contracts about 3 years. You need to own them longer and take closing costs into account. I assumed priced went up during Covid but I have not looked since I sold.

Huskerpaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The mis-labeling of this law was strange to me. It had little to do with being gay or people teaching about being gay.
The fact that some feel that way is why I used quotation marks around the term. Not trying to offend. If I had used the official name of the legislation few would know what I was referring to.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Lagunamar
I think a lot of it has to do with covid and the border shut downs. People in Europe who own got screwed as well as many of the people in Canada. Nobody could travel unless they jumped through a lot of hoops. It just wasn't worth it to many. People are realizing also that owning a piece of the mouse isn't for everybody forever. We bought 17 years ago and used to go several times per year. Now we vacation in other areas of the country and world and save our points to go on longer DVC vacations.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Rent your points by booking a studio in a popular week and list it on go-koala.com for about $17.50 a point. Then use that money elsewhere. Wait for a better time to sell.

Renting is easy and free to list at go-koala.com because they get money after it rents, not before it rents. Redweek also works.

Hey guys,, have you had good luck with Koala.. the site kinda sucks to me.. I tried to put surfside in and it go to orlando.. when i finally did get to Grand Palms it appears there are no units.. I used redweek in the past and got good results.. I usually reserve the 2 bd unit for week 28, the week after the 4th, and bank the hotel side for TPU's.