• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Giving up hope… [on travel]

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Like it did to most of you, covid also impacted my travel plans. Canceled 2 trips early on last year, but after 6 months of isolation I decided to travel again while exercising extreme caution and drove to Florida twice. This year, I did Aruba for 3 weeks, Florida, Hilton Head and NY a couple of times. I am fully vaccinated and plan on continuing to travel. I have an upcoming Florida beach trip in October and 2 weeks in St. Marteen in November.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone one place I've been considering is Osoyoos. Warmest lake in Canada, I believe, and while it's certainly not Hawaii or Mexico tropical it's definitely warmer than where I live!

I think Spirit River resort looks like a good option, full condo/timeshare style accommodations and a private beach. Good review is here: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/review-spirit-ridge-resort-osoyoos-hyatt-unbound-collection/

Yes, that’s a good idea. It’s dry, but nice. Can get 45 Celsius there in the summer.

I was just writing about our plight because we both live in the same city. I love the suggestions of travelling locally but I don’t think people quite understand why you and I need warmth and sun in the winter. When the sun comes up at 830 am and sets at 4 pm in the winter, it gets depressing. Yes, the chinooks help (warm winds from the Rockies) but they are up and down. The month or more of minus 20 ain’t no fun either. Oosyoos would help a bit but the sun sets there at 5 pm in December too and laying on the beach in winter is out. bathing suit in Oosoyoos in December? No thanks. Only polar bears need apply.

Day activities are nice except when you need mitts, gloves, vests, winter boots, scarf, hat. Nothing beats checking things out when the outdoors are pleasant. Getting winter armour ready just sucks.

Also, taking a road trip in Canada in the winter can be dicey. Roads close often on the highways when we have avalanche risks or heavy snowfalls. The mountains are especially dicey and unpredictable. Travelling south is up and down. We can’t land cross between Canada and the US yet and the interstates in the Northern US can become nightmares and close down too.

Also, I think some may misunderstand that Canada has no tropics. They are all international. Perhaps, I should buy a house in Miami like @Panina (and she has super taste) and just book last minute flights when the airlines are a green light. If the borders close, that’s ok, I got a house with a permanent booking. I can just wait until they open again. I’m semi retired anyway.

I never thought of buying a place as I love to roam but this whole thing has made me reconsider that. That way, Covid can go up and down all it wants. I can just stay put.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, that’s a good idea. It’s dry, but nice. Can get 45 Celsius there in the summer.

I was just writing about our plight because we both live in the same city. I love the suggestions of travelling locally but I don’t think people quite understand why you and I need warmth and sun in the winter. When the sun comes up at 830 am and sets at 4 pm in the winter, it gets depressing. Yes, the chinooks help (warm winds from the Rockies) but they are up and down. The month or more of minus 20 ain’t no fun either. Oosyoos would help a bit but the sun sets there at 5 pm in December too and laying on the beach in winter is out. bathing suit in Oosoyoos in December? No thanks. Only polar bears need apply.

Also, taking a road trip in Canada in the winter can be dicey. Roads close often on the highways when we have avalanche risks or heavy snowfalls. The mountains are especially dicey and unpredictable. Travelling south is up and down. We can’t land cross between Canada and the US yet and the interstates in the Northern US can become nightmares and close down too.

Also, I think some may misunderstand that Canada has no tropics. They are all international. Perhaps, I should buy a house in Miami like @Panina (and she has super taste) and just book last minute flights when the airlines are a green light. If the borders close, that’s ok, I got a house with a permanent booking. I can just wait until they open again. I’m semi retired anyway.

I never thought of buying a place as I love to roam but this whole thing has made me reconsider that. That way, Covid can go up and down all it wants. I can just stay put.

Sometimes life happens and you just have to change your plans. :thumbup:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Sometimes life happens and you just have to change your plans. :thumbup:

Very true. Like moving to Hawaii from Wisconsin? Yup, you know what I’m talking about. And yup, you changed it for the better.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Very true. Like moving to Hawaii from Wisconsin? Yup, you know what I’m talking about. And yup, you changed it for the better.

Keep your spirits up. You'll figure out what works for you.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Keep your spirits up. You'll figure out what works for you.

Oh yes. I’m really considering buying a place either in PV or Miami. I never thought I would say that because I loved the freedom of finding a great deal and booking a timeshare. I got maximum exploration. This Covid thing has really changed my thinking on that. Yes, I’m staying put more between 2 places but never need to consider situations like instability from pandemics as big a challenge.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
And yup, you changed it for the better.
And so did we. Instead of going on the Europe cruise, we 1) renovated our house; 2) sold our house and downsized to our rental house, which is a much better fit for us; and 3) my wife retired this year instead of next year. She couldn't be happier.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And so did we. Instead of going on the Europe cruise, we 1) renovated our house; 2) sold our house and downsized to our rental house, which is a much better fit for us; and 3) my wife retired this year instead of next year. She couldn't be happier.

Life happened and you adjusted. Congratulations, glad your new plan worked out!

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

That’s awesome! You know, thinking deeper, all these travel changing rules HAS really changed my focus and maybe for the better. Like you, I am thinking smaller, simplier. Maybe, at my stage in life, I need to think about only two small places. One in warmth (tropics) and here versus thinking more globally. Then, I have the best of both worlds.

It’s so nice to see you and your family focusing on what’s truly important and you don’t need fancy to achieve that. So, world, bring in what may… I will just make my world smaller but more intimate.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s awesome! You know, thinking deeper, all these travel changing rules HAS really changed my focus and maybe for the better. Like you, I am thinking smaller, simplier. Maybe, at my stage in life, I need to think about only two small places. One in warmth (tropics) and here versus thinking more globally. Then, I have the best of both worlds.

It’s so nice to see you and your family focusing on what’s truly important and you don’t need fancy to achieve that. So, world, bring in what may… I will just make my world smaller but more intimate.

And sometime in the future you can still travel more from those two places if you wish.:thumbup:

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2020 and through mid August 2021 we did drive trips and camping trips. We pushed all of our fly trips from 2020 to the end of 2021. We thought everything would be done by then. But, not so. We just got back from 2 weeks at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club. We had a great time. We arrived a couple of days after the Governor Ige asked tourists to stay away. We had changed our trip twice and decided to go.

We are fully vaccinated, wore N95 masks on the plane and always wore our masks on property, where required, were we felt they were needed or not and in elevators. I was surprised how many people didn’t keep their masks on in the resort and in elevators. People on the plane were gently asked by flight attendants to keep their masks on. It’s just a mask and the hospitals in Kauai were full of unvaccinated Covid patients.

My husband bought foil gear (for wing foiling) from a local who works at Wilcox Hospital and he said Covid hospitalizations were high on Kauai. When he met my husband they both wore masks (and both are fully vaccinated). My husband is a long time kitesurfer and a new wing foiler and he couldn't believe he found some wing foil gear he needed on Kauai.

Be safe, wear a mask. It’s just a mask.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been following Vanlife and RV life on YouTube. RV sales have gone through the roof last 18 months. With this, camp grounds are booked solid. Public lands where camping is free are being trashed. And although RV lovers love their RVs, they are seem to agree that RVs across the board are poorly made. I haven’t given up. I’m considering going the van renovation route. I would love to explore the US and maybe make use of some timeshares along the way. It’s just a dream. But it is an attainable one. And it gets me through the fact that we currently are not able to travel like we use to. I had to cancel 2 European trips when Covid hit.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Fredflintstone one place I've been considering is Osoyoos. Warmest lake in Canada, I believe, and while it's certainly not Hawaii or Mexico tropical it's definitely warmer than where I live!

I think Spirit River resort looks like a good option, full condo/timeshare style accommodations and a private beach. Good review is here: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/review-spirit-ridge-resort-osoyoos-hyatt-unbound-collection/

FWIW, we have quite a bunch of us here who normally leave in late October to winter in AZ. My husband and I still went at that time last year, because since we don't have kids there is no need to come back for Christmas. With having to quarantine for 2 weeks when coming back into Canada, everyone else decided to head to Osoyoos until early to mid December so they could be home for Christmas and then head south.

Well - they all headed out there in late October/early Nov with plans to stay anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months. ALL of them were back within 2 - 3 weeks. And we are talking about at least 4 different couples I know! And we are talking back to SK where it IS cold! Yes, the accomodations there were nice. BUT, the golf courses closed down right after they got there and it also snowed many nights. Melted the next day, but still.

But the biggest complaint they all had was that there was absolutely nothing to do! I think it would be a marvelous place to visit in the summer, but it I were you I'd stay in Calgary rather than go there for the winter. I doubt that the weather would really be nice enough to make a difference, you won't be able to golf or do many outdoor activities and at least in Calgary you can explore lots of indoor venues.

Just wanted to pass along that info. YMMV

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Great points on Ooyosos!

One point I missed on the importance of tropical vacations is how easy it is to entertain myself. I don’t need indoor venues like in Calgary in the winter. I can just be a bum on the beach sitting on old beach wood watching the waves crash in without bundling up.

Since I haven’t been able to really go international (probably because of my poor timing. Whenever I booked it, the system shut me down) I really noticed my mental health changed. This got me thinking that even though we talk about Covid, we forget all these restrictions have affected our health and that’s been guaranteed unlike the risky virus that mutates.

I need the tropics this winter so I will do what is needed to get there. Two years have been too long.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we call it Keys disease, going back there in December for a week, cant wait. Good luck with your dreams of being a snow bird and getting a place in the sun. Don't give up up on your dreams ever.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I started traveling for work in July 2020...but driving.
Did our drive to Yellowstone trip Sept 2020
Air trips:
Oct 2020...Albuquerque visit son
Nov 2020 Pensacola Visit Daughter
Jan 2021 Portland Or for work
Jan 2021 Pensacola..new grandbaby
Canceled Kauai for Jan 2021...moved to May...Cancelled May....Going finally last of Oct 2021.....going unless the resort shuts down
Aug 2021...2 weeks in Yellowstone...Just as a cautionary tale...DH is vaxxed and caught Covid...he was mainly fishing and except for a few nights eating in restaurants was not around people...don't become too complacent if you are vaccinated.

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
I have traveled and plan to continue to do so. I have been to Puerto Vallarta for 7 weeks in 2021. Then Cancun for 1 week in July. I went to Tampa for a along weekend in early September. All included air travel. Drove to West Virgina for long weekend this past weekend. Have plans to visit my sister in Sugarland, Texas soon and then going to Cancun for 2 weeks the end of October and back to PV in January for 10 weeks. Interestingly, I recently got Covid after going to a school function for granddaughter. Yes, I had both Vaccines. I wne to hospital ER and got the REGEN-COV infusion which contains antibodies that blocks the multiplication of the virus in your body. I am on the mend and will have better immunity for next 3 months or more. I did not get the virus from travel.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know how easy it is to travel domestically, and to Mexico, but, let me encourage you to bite the bullet. Go to Europe NOW! They have a good control on Covid. Yes, you'll have to wear masks a lot, but the payoff, is you will NEVER see Europe as happy you are there! They haven't had US tourists for a year and a half. Prices are down, and there are no lines to enter museums, restaurants, attractions. If the crap hits the fan, hospitals have beds. You should have insurance, and plan for some inconvenience- like getting a Covid test to come home, and one-time entering the EU, but it's really NOTHING. Travel to Europe will NEVER be like this again. So GO!

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know how easy it is to travel domestically, and to Mexico, but, let me encourage you to bite the bullet. Go to Europe NOW! They have a good control on Covid. Yes, you'll have to wear masks a lot, but the payoff, is you will NEVER see Europe as happy you are there! They haven't had US tourists for a year and a half. Prices are down, and there are no lines to enter museums, restaurants, attractions. If the crap hits the fan, hospitals have beds. You should have insurance, and plan for some inconvenience- like getting a Covid test to come home, and one-time entering the EU, but it's really NOTHING. Travel to Europe will NEVER be like this again. So GO!
I agree... the USA is quite lax in comparison. I don't feel as safe and get the impression people feel well I'm vax so I never wear a mask. Big events, packed restaurants ...I'm nervous !!! The hotel I stayed in offered options and only strongly encouraged non vax to wear a mask. In contrast, you must show a neg COVID-19 test or vax to even stay in the hotel !!!! Portugal has 85 % of population vax. Wow!

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope Passepartout doesn't get tired of my echoing his posts, but for the sake of emphasis, his experiences exactly match my own. My recent trip to Paris and then down the Seine was the best trip that I have had to Europe (with, perhaps, a very different kind of trip when I was in college) for exactly the reasons he states. As Nerordog states, it is in the United States upon return that I have gotten very nervous. Current number of cases per hundred thousand in my county, fifty-eight. In France, twelve. So, back home, it is back to sheltering in place.

(As far as my college trip, that was a completely different kind of affair. Hitchhiking, no money, youth hostels, my introduction to European culture, taken before there were any crowds at the European hotspots. You could, for example, just walk into the Academy and see Michelangelo's statue of David with maybe five to ten other people in the room. A year ago, there was a two to three block line waiting to get in.)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope Passepartout doesn't get tired of my echoing his posts, but for the sake of emphasis, his experiences exactly match my own. My recent trip to Paris and then down the Seine was the best trip that I have had to Europe (with, perhaps, a very different kind of trip when I was in college) for exactly the reasons he states. As Nerordog states, it is in the United States upon return that I have gotten very nervous. Current number of cases per hundred thousand in my county, fifty-eight. In France, twelve. So, back home, it is back to sheltering in place.
Not tired at all. Nothing I like better than to be recognized as having a good view. We will be dealing with Covid as it affects travel for a long, long time. Some places are already emerging as dealing with it pretty well, and some not so much. Right now, Western Europe seems to be on the right track. Some people will learn from the experience, some won't. People STILL get tickets (and die) from not wearing seat belts, even though we know they save lives.

Jim

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
On our way to Crescent City CA today from Gresham OR with a stop enroute in Florence and in Grants Pass on our way back Friday. We flew from CLE to SEA on the 9th, took a 7 day r/t cruise from there to Alaska before we took Amtrak to Portland to finally visit my sisters after nearly 3 years. We did self test for Covid the last night of the cruise jic.

In 2020 we used a t/s trade to NC, spent a couple nights near Natural Bridge KY, and then an October weekend to the PA Allegany Mts. Earlier this year 2 weeks in NM t/s and a week in a Pocono t/s.

Really hoping a t/s week comes thru for France or Portugal for this time next year.