• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Giving up hope… [on travel]

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't flown anywhere for two years. We cancelled overseas vacations and lost lots of money on trips that we were supposed to take early on during the Covid 19 pandemic. After months of sheltering at home and disinfecting everything in sight, we started to venture out in the fall of 2020, to places we could drive to, and where we felt we could socially distance from others. We asked for ground floor units (didn't want to be in elevators with others - and yes, I realize that may sound paranoid to some) and our requests were always accommodated. We spent a lot of time walking along deserted beaches and mountain trails. We hiked and enjoyed being outdoors. We went to restaurants where we could eat outside, at tables far away from other diners. A bit surprisingly, we became comfortable with the new paradigm. It has been wonderful to feel "normal" during these crazy times. We're taking our first flights this weekend.
We too have continued to travel throughout the pandemic since March 2020 to places where we could basically isolate (and drive to). We haven't flown anywhere in 2 years (we were lucky and had gone to St Thomas in January 2020)....We are both vaccinated; we are on vacation now for the 3rd time this year to Hilton Head....staying in townhomes/condo's....no elevators or large reception areas. We have also driven to Florida a number of times (private homes/condos). We only eat at outdoor restaurants occasionally (we prefer making our own meals but I feel ok eating at an outdoor venue)....but there are nice outdoor places in Florida and Hilton Head and I order food for pickup at a local grocery near where we'll be staying (I will run into a store with my mask on to pick up a few items)...but I get the major shopping done by the store & just order pickup or delivery for later the night we arrive. While I'd like to make a trip to Europe I'm not comfortable......flying or traveling internationally yet (and don't know when I will). I love walking on the beach, biking, my husband loves to fish, we love sitting on our deck/porch enjoying the view.....we have found we're not missing much....we were never "crowd" people. FREDFLINSTONE.......plan and enjoy your vacations....there are still a lot of places to go safely.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I’ve only flown once, early October 2020, Myrtle Beach to Newark, had to drive our second car down from NJ to our new location in NC. Went to Disney 4 times and will be going again in a few weeks. Easy now because we drive. The whole family went to Disney in August, some flew, some took Amtrak. We keep our distance from others when possible and sanitize hands often. I was always like that at Disney anyway....never touch handrails and wash hands or sanitize as soon as you get off a ride.

We met a Canadian couple at Disney in the spring. It was an ordeal just to get to an airport to get to Florida. We’ve kept in touch and they told us they had to extend their trip by a day because their flight was cancelled. Then they were required to go to a COVID hotel when they returned or pay a huge fine. Sounds kinda crazy up there...
Florida cases are on the decline contrary to what you may have heard. Where we live in NC people just go about their business, Ive had my hair done and pedicures without getting carded.
You sound really sad and I hope things start turning around for you. I think a road trip sounds like a great idea. We love being able to drive to Disney now. Hated the airlines before COVID. Don’t miss that at all.
I just read that Denmark is lifting all their restrictions. We were planning a return trip to Italy, but think we will wait a bit.
I hope you can travel out of Canada in the Winter. Snow and cold was the main reason for leaving New Jersey. I know the golf courses around here get lots of Canadian groups in the winter.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ines point of view depends where one is in life. Newly retired and raring to go, it sucks. Families with young children, different options. We are in our mid 70s and in good health. We were lucky to do major traveling around the world the past 20 years. I am happy to spent lots of time on road trips exploring nature now. The TS comes in more handy in the US than it did in Europe. Carry out and nature parks work for us now. We are doing 2 1/2 weeks in the NC mountains in Oct finding waterfalls.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me.
You are right that Canada has some beautiful places to visit. The Canadian Rockies, the Maritimes are just a couple that come to mind. They are spectacular in the Summer and fall but nasty in the winter. It’s the winter when I want to get some warmth and probably the time I really want to vaca. And…winter will be here real soon.
You answered your own question. It is not that there are not vacation opportunities for you, it is that you do not want to take the (summer) vacation opportunities that are open to you.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've been flying since early November last year (2020). We haven't done any international flights mainly due to the testing requirements and the contingencies if we happen to test positive; just don't want the hassle. We always supported the restaurants and have been dining in whenever there were no restrictions to do so. We never caught CV-19, and were vaccinated as soon as we were eligible in April. We're being safe, but not going overboard (we never did the whole gloves / wipe down packages / afraid to go to the grocery store or outside thing) and just use some common sense when around people.

We had planned a cruise for last fall but obviously that was cancelled. We fly on average once a month or so, and are planning a Mediterranean cruise in the fall of 2022 if all goes well. In general, we have taken precautions but are still going out there, living our lives with as much "normalcy" as possible.

Bottom line, I'm not "giving up hope" in contrast to the title of this thread and keeping an opportunistic attitude.

Kurt

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
You answered your own question. It is not that there are not vacation opportunities for you, it is that you do not want to take the (summer) vacation opportunities that are open to you.

You are right in thinking that the opportunities available to me are not my thing. As I said earlier, I am a tropics kind of guy and that’s what I miss the most. Sure, I can drive locally and vacation. I can see you thinking of just making lemonaide out of lemons.

Perhaps, the reason I am bummed out is because I have super memories of being on the beach, bbqing near the ocean and marvelling at the amazing sunsets over the ocean and just want to do that again and again. I never realized how much I miss that part of my life and really took it for granted. Perhaps a spoiled thought but one where one truly doesn’t realize what they lost until it is lost, even temporarily. I know next time I do go on that tropical vacation, I will have a new dimension of appreciation.

Yes, memories are the treasures one gets while travelling and I suppose addictive because one truly misses them when there are disruptions beyond their control.

I do know that life will slowly return to normal at some point and will treasure the day that happens.

And yes, if things continue, the trip next summer will be the maritimes and yes I will make it memorable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were lucky just before lock down. We spent most of February 2020 in Tasmania and Melbourne. The World went into lock down avout 3 weeks after we got back. We never understood how the World was surprised by COVID19. In January 2020 we were reading about China and how in Wuhan they were building new Hospitals in a week and how the crematorium were going 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We bought N95 Respirators, Gloves, etc to take with us. Never needed them. The only difference we noticed was there were a lot fewer Asians in Australia than on precious trips.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I didn't feel like we were that far out of the norm until I read this thread. Maybe it's because I went back to the office earlier this year, and because I have family members who have worked public facing jobs the entire pandemic, but we have traveled this year starting in last November. I have been to Hawaii twice, the Oregon coast, Lake Tahoe, Carmel, and just got back from Park City. Of course we are big hikers and purposely choose the path less traveled so social distancing is easy but we have flown almost every trip. My SIL is a flight attendant and has flown throughout the pandemic. If flying was super risky she would have gotten sick by now. I just don't see flying as a really risky proposition. That said, we do not eat inside, or do anything that involves being around a lot of other people so we do try to mitigate our risk. If you want to travel figure out a way to do it with a low footprint. Drive to the location. Do outdoor activities. Eat outdoors. Make the adjustments that you need to do to feel safe. I personally don't feel that you should put others at risk by not being vaccinated, but with the vaccine and regular mask wearing, you aren't putting others at much risk, if any. I don't feel comfortable in any kind of setting indoors, especially with a lot of other people - concerts for example - but since I didn't much care for them pre-covid not a lot has changed for me.

OP, I know that you are a "tropics" kind of person, but it really is time to find the hidden gems nearby because at least for now the tropics aren't going to happen (unless you decide to fly). I find it refreshing that there are places that I have never considered for a vacation that are unexpectedly enjoyable - the Oregon coast was simply amazing. I still can't believe that it had never been on our radar before. This is an excellent opportunity for all of us to expand our horizons. Yes, it is time for some lemonade.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Canadian I’d love to take a winter trip to Hawaii, but I can’t see that happening for a while. The biggest wildcard for me is medical coverage. What the heck do you do if you happen to catch Covid in a foreign country? At best a two week trip turns into a month. At worst you end up in the hospital and worry about coverage?

Our answer was to buy an RV (like a whole bunch of other people) and we will be exploring around closer to home in the better weather. Sure do miss happy hour in Poipu, and tunnels beach though.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have done several trips this year. We went to Palm Desert CA in March, Hawaii (Oahu/Ko Olina) in April-May, Newport Coast CA in June and August and we are heading to Scottsdale AZ in Nov-Dec. I have also visited my son in CA after getting fully vaccinated.

Palm Desert back in March was very restrictive and dining outdoor was a terrible experience because of makeshift tents and tables at the carpark and smelling sewer in some of the locations. Golfing was fine.

Hawaii was a miserable experience with the resort making use of COVID as an excuse for reduced or eliminated customer service. Dining was also a challenge because places were booked weeks ahead. Fortunately we did make several reservations before our trip. Golf was fine although staff at one expensive course was simply horrible and just did not want to provide any customer service.

Newport Coast in CA got much better because CA had opened up and became less restrictive. Trip in August was definitely better than the trip in June.

We are looking forward to our trip to Scottsdale AZ in Nov.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I have been traveling just as I was before the pandemic. Mexico, Florida, locally, etc. a lot via air and never worried.

Only place I haven’t been is Europe since sitting in quarantine even with being vaccinated for almost a year now is senseless.

Cheers

Last edited:

teebark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WIVC
We have driven from our home in VA to OK, NC, and FL in the past 2 years. We normally go to Mexico once a year, but the TSA has taken all the joy out of flying, and the mask requirement has put us over the edge. Fortunately, our timeshare, has locations in the US, as well as Mexico and Spain.

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
I did not travel much in 2019, but have been using my timeshares this year. Went to LA, Carlsbad, Sedona and Santa Fe all successful trips. Just walk in the door and clean! Will be traveling this fall to Carlsbad and WDW. Disney is my biggest concern since half the people there cannot be vaccinated, too young. Would would have thought WDW was high risk?

iowateach

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have continued to travel, but traveling isn’t the same when you can’t enjoy the entire experience. I had plans to go to the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament last year which was canceled one day before I was to leave. I stayed home until September and October when I went first to Scottsdale for a week and then Colorado. Eating was either outside or takeout only. In April I spent a week in Palm Desert with friends, but we only ordered takeout. I did take my nephew to Florida in May as a graduation present. That is the only trip that has felt normal. I have plans to go to Boston in two weeks for the rescheduled 2020 Laver Cup which will be inside the TD Garden and then the postponed fall version of Indian Wells in October. These trips were all scheduled before Covid ramped up, but after these trips I’ve made no plans. Rental cars are over $700 for a week, and people are fighting on airplanes. It’s just not as enjoyable. Travel should be an escape, not a chore.

geekette

Reaction score
I haven’t been on TUG for awhile. It’s frankly because the thought of vacationing just depresses me. I used to travel at least twice a year. I haven’t gone anywhere for 2 years now. When I just see hope of going and book a timeshare rental…boom. Time to wind it down. Now, I will just wait to see things stabilize. I suppose 6 months or so before even planning a vacation. It’s amazing how one appreciates the freedom they had before Covid. Who would have ever thought travelling would be so different?

Yes, I know I can fly all masked up. To me, travel is freedom. That means going without all kinds of health restrictions that hinder me is enjoyment. And travel is supposed to be enjoyable.

One day, things will go back to the way it was and boy will I be celebrating that day!

What are your thoughts? Are you still travelling amidst all the changing restrictions? If so, where and how was your vacation? Maybe it’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sorry you are having gloomy feelings. perfectly valid, these are gloomy times.

I’m a road tripper so no real barriers for me. pretty much like at home, wear a mask, avoid people and indoor dining. I wouldn’t say I’ve been vacationing, though. I moved many hundreds of miles, and need to visit my mother in LTC.

I will say that rest areas are cleaner than I’ve ever seen them.

I don’t find a mask to be a freedom crusher. I wear uncomfortable seat belts (they often scrape my neck as I am too short for standard), I wear shoes when I’d rather be barefoot, etc

if you can shift your mindset a bit, you could easily rework what vacation is to you.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Maine to stay with my mother for two and half weeks during the summer of 2020--working from her home there for most of that time. Maine still feels *so much safer* than anywhere down here in the south. We did drive to IL to stay with my BIL's family for Thanksgiving 2020--we all tested and isolated beforehand (and helped the grandparents with the decision not to come.) We did a timeshare week at Lake Lure, NC--an easy drive for us--in March 2021, and then a week in Maine and a week in NYC on the way back down in August 2021. I flew to Orlando in May 2021, shortly after I was fully vaxxed, to spend a few days at Disney at the invitation of my oldest friend, as a celebration of our status. :) That was a good time; I felt safe on the airplane, but the airports? Not so much. In late June, I gathered with my three college roommates (we're sisters, really, at this point) at on of their newly-purchased mountain cabins in TN (they're building an AirBnB empire, apparently.) That, too, was before Delta. Mostly, what we did during COVID was drive up and down the east coast--9 round trips between July 2020 and August 2021-- many of which were to deliver my daughter to/from her boarding school.

We have a long delayed package from Westin that we purchased in 2017(!!!) for a four-night stay at Lagunamar. We had actually booked it--finally--for May 2020, which of course was canceled. Then, we thought about moving it to October 2020, until the cases spiked then, and then thought about this October, and now Delta. We're going to call back and beg and see if they'll let us use it maybe in the spring or summer of 2022. After all, they'll still want to try and sell us a timeshare, right? ;)

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
We've travelled a lot this year. 11 weeks in cancun over three trips: January, May, and now in September. Two weeks in St Croix. Two weeks in Kona Hawaii. It's been a great year. We got vaccinated in April and have just followed reasonable precautions.

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2020 I pushed all my points to 2022, and 2021 has been wait & see. I realized a couple of weeks ago I never booked or did anything with my 2021 points, and it's a bit late to try to book a vacation I'd want to take using them. So I moved them over to RCI, where they will probably end up expiring before I can use. I didn't do my expected FL / Disneyworld vacation this year--too much stuff up in the air for long range planning--this was my every other year time share. And we're a bit burned out. I usually drive anyway, but didn't want to drive 16+ hours and then have Disney suddenly shut down.

And I'm dating someone who just doesn't have as much leave as me, so it's another layer of consideration. And the pain of having to arrange for pet care has basically put my travel plans on hold for a bit. Last minute trips just are not for me. I'm naturally a home-body so with too many obstacles I'll just always stay home. I still have my annual San Antonio trip planned at end of year, so I will be going on that trip. But yeah, Covid (with the rest of life) has put a wrinkle in my travel plans. I'm dreading next year... I will have way more points than I can ever use.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We also had to cancel our 3 weeks of vacation in Puerto Vallarta last year. :(

We have reservations for this year - the resort moved our 2 weeks from 2020 to this year and assigned us ocean front units with balconies for 2 weeks and our regular fixed week is also an oceanfront unit with a very large balcony. (We got a refund from the VRBO unit we had rented last year,) So, we are planning to go this year. We will most likely stay on property more than usual, but can walk down the beach to a few beach restaurants. The resort does have 2 outdoor restaurants, and I found a grocery delivery service, so we will eat many meals sitting on the balcony looking at the ocean.

Our first week, my brother and his wife will be with us, and our oldest son and family will be there with us 2 weeks and he said that he is ready just to just go and hand out and do very little - which is unusual for him. He said that he and his 23 y/o son will go zip-lining and kayaking for activities the week that he joins us. Our grandson would like to do a para-sail or rent a jet ski. So all activities will be outside.

We do hate having to wear masks while at the airports and on the plane, but the flight is just under 2-1/2 hours, so about 4 hours having to wear a mask each way. It will be worth it for 3 wonderful weeks just watching the waves roll in, sunsets, and occasional whales. :)

We did drive down to Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point), Mexico in mid-May. We stayed at the Grand Mayan using a free week they offered us. It was nice to get away. The resor twas only about 50% occupied. We ate in the outdoor restaurant every day.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know as this is my first plane trip coming up...I had cancelled everything else and was optimistic...I rebooked. I'm a bit nervous about the mask on plane for so long.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Did a bike & barge trip from Cologne Germany to Bamberg Germany three weeks ago. Planes were at least 3/4 full but you couldn't get on the plane without a recent negative test and you couldn't get into the destination country without a vaccination card or a neg test result so I felt safe on the plane with mandatory masks. While in Germany, anytime you entered a building you had to wear a mask and in some provinces you had to have an N95 (FFP2) mask. Many small shops only allowed 2 or 3 people in the store at a time. But for the most part I didn't feel that this prevented us from enjoying the trip.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was announced starting tomorrow, no masks outside but carry one for when you go inside!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Life has changed so much for me since the pandemic, broken relationship and moved to Florida, that vacationing wasn't as important initially. Through everything I have realized life is precious , a gift and must go on. No one knows when the pandemic will end thus I am living/ vacationing taking the best precautions I can.

Last year I only traveled with my move. This year I have been to Marco Island 4 time and Indian River 3 times. These were between 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 1/2 hours from me. I also took Amtrak in a private room to NY and attended a wedding. This year I still have another two trips to NY planned as well as two Florida trips.

@Fredflinstone you could figure out something, even if mini vacations to change your environment and enjoy. Even day trips help. I just saw an exhibit for Van Gogh in Miami. Sometimes if we do something different then our heart desires (for you Hawaii) we end up being surprised and enjoy it just as much. It is just different.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would the kids be allowed to keep up online? Just curious.
Our school district has an online option, but its all or nothing. So they would have to sign up for online for the whole year.

My kids are early elementary, and the time they spent doing school online (spring of 2020, and a couple of stretches last year) weren't great. So imo it isn't worth switching to online completely.

That said, if we aren't able to travel the way we want to from Canada in a reasonable amount of time we will emigrate. I love living here, but if I can't leave during the winter for the next 10+ years that isn't going to work for me.