• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gift of Marriott legacy week deed, a question

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean platinum
Hello all, first time poster here and new timeshare owner!

I have been generously gifted a legacy Platinum week deed at Marriott’s Grande Ocean on Hilton Head Island. I have some questions that will probably seem typical for a timeshare noob (please be gentle).

First off, my understanding is that there are limitations to the benefits available to a purchaser of a Marriott legacy week timeshare deed as compared to those available to the original purchaser from Marriott. For instance, I read that the Marriott Reward (Bonvoy?) Point benefits are not available to such purchasers. Question: Is this true for legacy weeks gifted and not purchased? Follow-up, are there any other limitations on a gifted legacy week owner that I need to be aware of?

As background, our primary desire is to use the week most of the time; why not, it’s a great week at a great location! Occasionally though (maybe every 2-3-4 years), we would like to use the week to go somewhere else, a Marriott property or otherwise.

I’ll probably ask other questions shortly. Thanks everyone!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Are you related to the gifter?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
That’s good. Do you know if the week is enrolled in the points system as well as being able to use it as a week?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Enjoy! Don't let the naysayers bother you. Its a great company and a great location. You can use it for years and exchange it via II to nearly anywhere. A platinum Marriott will give you advantage in II. If you decide to exchange make sure you reserve a Key red week a year in advance and despot it immediately and place an exchange request immediately. You can always change the location later.

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s good. Do you know if the week is enrolled in the points system as well as being able to use it as a week?
Good question, the answer to which I do not know. I do know that the weeks they own have been used for other vacations; they did a western U.S. national parks bus tour a few years ago.

What is the difference either way?

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy! Don't let the naysayers bother you. Its a great company and a great location. You can use it for years and exchange it via II to nearly anywhere. A platinum Marriott will give you advantage in II. If you decide to exchange make sure you reserve a Key red week a year in advance and despot it immediately and place an exchange request immediately. You can always change the location later.
Thanks, I am really looking forward to using it! I have been there before but not recently. Can't wait!

But still not sure about the implications of receiving a gift like I have. No matter what, it's going to be great. Just curious how I can best use it.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good question, the answer to which I do not know. I do know that the weeks they own have been used for other vacations; they did a western U.S. national parks bus tour a few years ago.

What is the difference either way?

Do you have their Marriott vacation club log in? That will contain the information about whether it is enrolled in the destination club or not. Since you are the owners son the enrollment will pass to you. If the week is enrolled you can elect to have destination club points instead of the week (choice made every year) and then you can use the DC points to book other MVC resorts directly.

If it is not enrolled and you don’t want to stay at your home resort you can deposit your week into interval international and exchange to another resort ( Marriott or another brand). Do you know if they have a interval account?
You can also arrange a private rental of your week.

Last edited:

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a non-enrollled pre 2010 week
They only give me 100,000 Bonvoy points for my week. That used to mean something. Now it means squat. Use it or trade it in Interval.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
A gifted week to a son would keep all the same rights that your parents currently enjoy. If it’s enrolled, it’s the best of both worlds (weeks and points).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster here and new timeshare owner!

I have been generously gifted a legacy Platinum week deed at Marriott’s Grande Ocean on Hilton Head Island. I have some questions that will probably seem typical for a timeshare noob (please be gentle).

First off, my understanding is that there are limitations to the benefits available to a purchaser of a Marriott legacy week timeshare deed as compared to those available to the original purchaser from Marriott. For instance, I read that the Marriott Reward (Bonvoy?) Point benefits are not available to such purchasers. Question: Is this true for legacy weeks gifted and not purchased? Follow-up, are there any other limitations on a gifted legacy week owner that I need to be aware of?

As background, our primary desire is to use the week most of the time; why not, it’s a great week at a great location! Occasionally though (maybe every 2-3-4 years), we would like to use the week to go somewhere else, a Marriott property or otherwise.

I’ll probably ask other questions shortly. Thanks everyone!
That's a great gift. Often when we hear of timeshare legacy gifts their not worth the paper the deed is written on, that's not the case here. Grande Ocean is our favorite resort so I own 9 weeks there all platinum. You should have all benefits of your parents that gifted it to you. If it's enrolled, it should stay enrolled. If it's not enrolled, you can likely do so for free or for a relatively small fee. Get their sign on information which will help you with this as well as figure out if it's ocean front or ocean side. I'd either use it or rent it or take points if it's enrolled. I wouldn't trade through II or take rewards points on it.

Make sure you learn the system so you can get the week you want and make the most of your new week.

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have their Marriott vacation club log in? That will contain the information about whether it is enrolled in the destination club or not. Since you are the owners son the enrollment will pass to you. If the week is enrolled you can elect to have destination club points instead of the week (choice made every year) and then you can use the DC points to book other MVC resorts directly.

If it is not enrolled and you don’t want to stay at your home resort you can deposit your week into interval international and exchange to another resort ( Marriott or another brand). Do you know if they have a interval account?
You can also arrange a private rental of your week.
That is very clear, thanks so much! I plan to try to get the login information and confirm the enrolled status. They do have an II account and have used it in the past. They have 6 weeks to play with, including this one they are gifting. I assume I'll need my own II account to make use it for exchanges.

That's a great gift. Often when we hear of timeshare legacy gifts their not worth the paper the deed is written on, that's not the case here. Grande Ocean is our favorite resort so I own 9 weeks there all platinum. You should have all benefits of your parents that gifted it to you. If it's enrolled, it should stay enrolled. If it's not enrolled, you can likely do so for free or for a relatively small fee. Get their sign on information which will help you with this as well as figure out if it's ocean front or ocean side. I'd either use it or rent it or take points if it's enrolled. I wouldn't trade through II or take rewards points on it.

Make sure you learn the system so you can get the week you want and make the most of your new week.
Thanks for your reply. Nine Platinum weeks... wow! Very nice.

A Grande Ocean Platinum week is a great gift, I'm very appreciative. From previous stays there I believe it's an ocean front unit (8456). I am certainly hoping that they are enrolled. I'm still struggling to understand all the implications of this (the different types of points and their relationships, Trust, Destinations, etc., is confusing), but I understand enough to know being enrolled is a very good thing! I have a list of questions that I'll be discussing with my parents, this topic being one of them.

A question for everyone, are there any web sites that provide good explanations of how Marriott legacy week timeshares work? (What being enrolled means and how it works; what are the types of points available to and usable by legacy week owners and how to use them; earliest you can you reserve a unit - 1 year before the first day of the season or one year before the desired check-in date; floating vs. fixed, etc.). I seem only able to find disjoint pieces of information that makes understanding the big picture of how to make the most of this week difficult. I am learning, but it seems every time I answer a question it generates two more!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The stickies above are a great place to start and TUG here in general should fill in the details. There are a few others sites. Redweeks has a pretty good primer as well.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wballoni: If your parents originally purchased the week prior to June of 2010 then the week is automatically entitled to be enrolled so that points may be utilized in lieu of using the week as a week (i.e. use points instead of a floating week). I am not sure where your parents ownership week currently stands with this issue.

Believe it or not, there are still many owners out there who have weeks purchased prior to June of 2010 and they have yet to enroll their weeks for the option of using points.

Welcome to TUG.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
If the week is enrolled, you will get a free II account upon transfer to you.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's not enrolled just make sure you don't pay to enroll it until you're sure of your options.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
If it’s not enrolled and it’s eligible, have your parents enroll it before gifting it to you. Congrats on your new timeshare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wballoni: If your parents originally purchased the week prior to June of 2010 then the week is automatically entitled to be enrolled so that points may be utilized in lieu of using the week as a week (i.e. use points instead of a floating week).
Thanks for the info, TimeTraveler. Great news! I know that they purchased directly from Marriott some time in the 1990's. Anecdotally, I recall them saying that they purchased this Platinum week when the resort was still under construction.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
A question for everyone, are there any web sites that provide good explanations of how Marriott legacy week timeshares work? (What being enrolled means and how it works; what are the types of points available to and usable by legacy week owners and how to use them; earliest you can you reserve a unit - 1 year before the first day of the season or one year before the desired check-in date; floating vs. fixed, etc.). I seem only able to find disjoint pieces of information that makes understanding the big picture of how to make the most of this week difficult. I am learning, but it seems every time I answer a question it generates two more!

If your week is enrolled, this explains the options at a high level.... https://www.marriottvacationsworldw...UseGuide/151053_14_DHTUG_EnrolledNoLtr_WB.pdf

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is very clear, thanks so much! I plan to try to get the login information and confirm the enrolled status. They do have an II account and have used it in the past. They have 6 weeks to play with, including this one they are gifting. I assume I'll need my own II account to make use it for exchanges.

Thanks for your reply. Nine Platinum weeks... wow! Very nice.

A Grande Ocean Platinum week is a great gift, I'm very appreciative. From previous stays there I believe it's an ocean front unit (8456). I am certainly hoping that they are enrolled. I'm still struggling to understand all the implications of this (the different types of points and their relationships, Trust, Destinations, etc., is confusing), but I understand enough to know being enrolled is a very good thing! I have a list of questions that I'll be discussing with my parents, this topic being one of them.

Enrolled means the week is in the Destinations club and each year you can choose to stay in your owned week, deposit your week into interval, or elect the week to a set number of destination club points and use those to book other MVC resorts directly on MVC ( as opposed to having to exchange on II if you don’t want to stay your ownership). DC points can be trust points (which means you just bought points not a week)- but for practical purposes it doesn’t matter. Bonvoy points are different- they are brand loyalty points from credit card purchases or hotel stays.

There is definitely a learning curve for both MVC and Interval if you end up using that.
Read all the stickies at the top of this TUG section, when you get into the MVC account go to the education tab and look around there. Read the faq at the bottom of the page on II and they also,have a community of people there with experience exchanging.
Good luck.

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your week is enrolled, this explains the options at a high level.... https://www.marriottvacationsworldw...UseGuide/151053_14_DHTUG_EnrolledNoLtr_WB.pdf
That is a great resource, appreciate the link, Fastrr!

Enrolled means the week is in the Destinations club and each year you can choose to stay in your owned week, deposit your week into interval, or elect the week to a set number of destination club points and use those to book other MVC resorts directly on MVC ( as opposed to having to exchange on II if you don’t want to stay your ownership). DC points can be trust points (which means you just bought points not a week)- but for practical purposes it doesn’t matter. Bonvoy points are different- they are brand loyalty points from credit card purchases or hotel stays.
Very helpful. My takeaway is that there is really no difference in how you use Trust points that you purchase today when buying into the MVC and the points you exchange a legacy week for, correct? For example, if I exchange my week for points, I then use the resort point charts to see what I can reserve with those points. If so, that makes understanding points, from a legacy week owner's perspective, easier.

BTW, I was able to confirm that the week is enrolled!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My takeaway is that there is really no difference in how you use Trust points that you purchase today when buying into the MVC and the points you exchange a legacy week for, correct? For example, if I exchange my week for points, I then use the resort point charts to see what I can reserve with those points. If so, that makes understanding points, from a legacy week owner's perspective, easier.

Technically, there could be a difference. In practice, there is no difference.