• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gift from Amazon

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a box from Amazon. Inside was a Bolite Bird Feeder and a note. The note said the gift giver was anonymous and that if I wanted I could send it back to them (Amazon) and have $39.95 refunded to me...Smelling a rat I called Amazon Customer Service and gave them the tracking number from the front of the box. They said it came from one of their Sellers but would not tell me who or how to get in touch with them. They did tell me that the item was shipped from Key Largo, FL. They emailed me a UPS shipping label so I could return it at no cost by dropping it off at any USP Drop Box or Store. The label is addressed to the Amazon Fulfillment Center in Indianapolis, IN...

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing with Amazon...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something tells me your sense of smell is on the mark. :ponder:
If you don't need it or want it, send it back.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
George, that's how returns work with Amazon, but I don't remember ever getting something out of the blue that I hadn't ordered. I recall that you didn't even have an Amazon account. How are they going to credit you with the $39.99? Maybe it's just a diabolical plan to put that a----z smilie on your face. :)

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If it is something you like just keep it. If not- give it as a gift to someone.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter received a very expensive virtual reality gaming headset through Amazon. She is not a gamer. Had no idea who sent it.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
My 88yo dad had a similar thing happen to him last spring but not with Amazon. A box was delivered to him via Canada Post and in it was a vehicle rear view mirror with a dash cam a built in. The shipping label stated it was from an Auto parts store in Dad's city, and was addressed to Dad. My dad didn't order it and after checking with my siblings & other family members we decided it must have been a mistake. I looked at my dad's Visa bill online and the mirror was on the bill. Dad called Visa and they told him it was an online purchase made from that store and gave him the exact date and time of purchase. My dad doesn't own a smart phone or computer and cant even operate either one, but Dad recalled being at the Auto parts store that day. I went to the store, told the story to the manager and showed him Dad's receipt from the articles he purchased that day. The time of the online purchase was 2 minutes apart from my dad's purchase! The manager found the security tapes from the afternoon that Dad was there. Sure enough we could see my dad standing in line at the cashier and as he is waiting his turn, a young man slowly walks past him holding something (not visible from the camera angle) in his hand. He held it close to my dad's backside as well as everybody else standing in line. The guy then left the store and entered a vehicle but did not pull out of the parking spot for several minutes. The store manager figured it was an RFID reader which scanned the credit cards in people's wallets as they stood in line. The guy must have used the stolen information to make the purchases online while sitting in his vehicle.

Visa cancelled Dad's credit card when he called them and issued him a new one and the store took the mirror back and refunded Dad the full amount. Thank goodness Dad was able to get his money back and there were no other purchases made on his card before he called VISA. It was a bit of a scary situation. I bought Dad some RFID blocker sleeves for his credit cards and DH bought some for ours as well. We aren't taking any more chances!

~Diane

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I had two packages delivered to my house, addressed to me that I didn't order. They were not expensive items. I small clutch purse and a book. When I questioned the supplier (I can't even remember who it was). They said sometimes people order items with stolen credit cards or gift cards and have the items mailed to a location nearby (like a neighbor) and then watch for the delivery and come steal the items. They said this could be the case and the person did small items to test the waters.....

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
My daughter received a very expensive virtual reality gaming headset through Amazon. She is not a gamer. Had no idea who sent it.

If your daughter wants to pay it forward to two young boys please let me know. :)

I’ve never been so lucky. However, my mailman constantly delivers us our neighbors mail. Does that count?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recall that you didn't even have an Amazon account. How are they going to credit you with the $39.99?

They say I can give them my Credit Card number and they will credit the $39.99 to it. So far I have not decided whether to send the Bird Feeder back or not and if I do whether to give them my Credit Card number or not...

George

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's been a couple times that my daughter has sent me a gift via Amazon and it didn't say who sent it. The first time it happened, I thought my CC info was stolen, but after some sleuthing (ultimately texting my daughter) I found out who sent it. The next time I got a gift without a notification on who sent it, I asked my daughter right away if she sent it.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
They say I can give them my Credit Card number and they will credit the $39.99 to it. So far I have not decided whether to send the Bird Feeder back or not and if I do whether to give them my Credit Card number or not...

George

George, you could go to Amazon, find the bird feeder you have and see who sells that particuliar one. There are a few different "Bolite" models and different sellers. By doing so, you can narrow down the possible gift givers, so to speak. If you wish to go further, contact each seller and ask.

As for providing your credit card information, if it were me, my short answer be no and my long answer would be, hell no.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

George
Yikes! "They say I can give them my Credit Card number and they will credit the $39.99 to it"
But, did you pay the $39? Why would you want a "refund" if you didn't order it? TOTAL SCAM. Very creative. Thanks for sharing this new way to access Personal Information, ie your cc number.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

George

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
My daughter has gotten two packages from Amazon with someone else’s name but her address. She wasn’t charged anything and called Amazon. They found the person had indeed used my daughter’s address on the person’s account and Amazon can’t do anything about it. Amazon also said keep the stuff and do what she wants with it.

I suppose the person will eventually put her correct address on the account but if not, it a gift that keeps on giving:rolleyes:.

Cheers

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I once sent a wedding gift to the wrong people. Total brain meltdown on my part -- the happy couple didn't even live in our state. I discovered the error about six months later while talking to the mother of the bride. Really irked me when then I didn't even get a thank you for the $50 Bed Bath Beyond gift card I rushed out to purchase and send with a wedding card.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!

I'm not going to do it but I wonder how many of you have your Credit Card Numbers on file with Amazon...

Note: I am certain that this is Amazon I talked to. I called their Customer Service Number (I got it from my Daughter who has an Amazon Account) and verified that the UPS label they sent me has the correct address of their Fulfillment Center in Indianapolis...

George

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to do it but I wonder how many of you have your Credit Card Numbers on file with Amazon...

Note: I am certain that this is Amazon I talked to. I called their Customer Service Number (I got it from my Daughter who has an Amazon Account) and verified that the USP label they sent me has the correct address of their Fulfillment Center in Indianapolis...

George

The more attention you pay an enemy, the stronger you make him. Be attentive, but don't be paranoiac. ;)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Note: I am certain that this is Amazon I talked to. I called their Customer Service Number (I got it from my Daughter who has an Amazon Account) and verified that the UPS label they sent me has the correct address of their Fulfillment Center in Indianapolis...

George

I do as a Prime member and never had a problem honestly.

Why can’t they maybe issue you an Amazon credit instead so you can order something else in the future?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
A<--->Z has an assortment of our credit and debit card numbers. We switch around depending on which account we want to use to pay for a specific purchase. So far, so good.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 154k & Bali Hai 105k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HVC South Bend 1/1
Amazon gives free samples. https://www.amazon.com/samples

Also, all the other possibilities mentioned, such as supplier wanting excellent reviews, fraud, rfid scanners, fraudsters testing the waters, wrong addressees, etc.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do, but since I am a paranoid person who has had my identity stolen before, I have an Amazon Prime credit card that is only used for Amazon.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...I have an Amazon Prime credit card that is only used for Amazon.

I closed 3 CC accounts due to fraud in the last 10 months, so I appreciate your caution.

I dedicated one of our CC's to use only for automatic monthly charges. It stays in our safe.
Chances are that it will stay fraud-free and I won't have to contact 12 recurring payees again.