• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 27 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $18,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $18 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Getting to know you" ideas

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are having a few people over this week to join an existing group (bible study). We know these couples but not very well and I am sure they are feeling a little apprehensive as well. There are 3 couples joining and 2 couples who already attend.

What are some ice breaking topics we can bring up that will help us feel more at ease?

Diane

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a starter have the first person say their name with an adjective and place of birth "Hi I am Jolly John from Tampa." Have the next person repeat the name and add on "This is Jolly John from Tampa and I am Nice Nancy from Memphis." Continue around the circle. It gives everyone a chance to learn (or relearn) the names of and origins of the people in the group.

Have the couples share how they met. -Almost always interesting and sometimes the stories can be pretty funny.

Have people share an embarrassing moment. Good for a laugh and lets everyone know that everyone is human and caught with our shorts down occasionally.

teachingmyown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Are you serving refreshments? If so, include a "secret" ingredient in each dish and then let everyone try to guess what they are.

I really like the "how did you meet each other" idea also. Other fairly safe get-to-know-you topics could be "If you were given $10 million dollars what would you do with it?" "Where would your dream vacation be?" "What is your favorite charity (why)?" "If you were going to get a tattoo, what would it be?"

You could also do a quick survey where everyone just raises their hands (or speaks out) to indicate their preferences on a list of paired options, such as...

Summer/Winter?
SUV/VWBug?
swimming pool/swimming hole?
ocean/lake?
mountains/beach?
steak/chicken
Coke/Pepsi?
tent/hotel?
barefoot/hiking boots?
squash/beans?
pc/mac?
good book/good movie?
fireplace/jacuzzi?
red/blue?
sunshine/stars?
Sears/Macy's?

well, I guess you get the idea...
:)

Flo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a fun thing at a group recently where the members knew each other but not very well. The leader asked us all to write something down on paper about us that was interesting and no one else would know. (Like: I've always wanted to be a singer but can't carry a tune).
Then we handed the paper to the leader who read them out. Each group member wrote down who they thought belonged to each statement.
The one who guessed the most and the one who guessed the least, got a small prize.
It was a great ice breaker.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
teachingmyown said:
Other fairly safe get-to-know-you topics could be "If you were given $10 million dollars what would you do with it?"
:)
Given the nature of your group I suspect the immediate answer to this would be to say they would give much of it to charity. Try throwing a bit of a curve ball by asking "If you were given $10 million dollars what would you do with it if you weren't allowed to give any away to charities?"
The question alone will probably get them all talking :)

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are GREAT suggestions and exactly what I was looking for! I'll run them by Mark...

Thanks so much!

Diane

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks Swift!

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You could play "Two Lies and a Truth." Each person gets up and makes three statements about him/herself, and the crowd has to guess which one is true. Always goes over very big and generates some pretty interesting facts!

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found your reply Cat. That would be interesting and we'll consider it. Thanks for the idea!

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's a lot of fun, Diane. Everyone loves it. A variation is Two Truths and a Lie.

For example:
1) I am a classically trained chef.

2) I speak fluent Russian.

3) I have been an avid scuba diver for 16 years.
Any guesses?

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Truths: 1 & 3
Lie: obviously 2

But then I cheated...I know Cat & enjoy reading her posts. :D

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JoAnn wins the prize. Give the little lady a cigar!

Actually, only fluent in English, Spanish, and French. Never ventured outside the romance languages.

JoAnn, how about you give us 2 truths and a lie?

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While we're waiting for JoAnn have 3 from me :-

I'm extremely handsome
I'm the ideal height for my weight
I never over indulge in food or drink

Sorry - my mistake. I didn't realise 2 of them had to be true :eek: :D

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Keith, I just love your dry, English wit!!

Of course, number 3 is false. We ALL overindulge in food and drink every now and again. Right?

JoAnn

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cat...or someone...start a whole thread on the Truth & Lies thing and see where it goes....or start it "elsewhere". ;)

Reaction score
DianeH said:
We are having a few people over this week to join an existing group (bible study). We know these couples but not very well and I am sure they are feeling a little apprehensive as well. There are 3 couples joining and 2 couples who already attend.

What are some ice breaking topics we can bring up that will help us feel more at ease?
I guess an orgy is out of the question.