• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting rid of timeshare by including it in your will?

little1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read TUG's postings for a few year now and have seen many people trying to get rid of their worthless timeshare that won't sell. From donating it to a charity, will it to their heirs, to asking the developers to take it back.

I was thinking, is it possible to include the timeshare in your will and naming the developer as the recipient? Will this work or is there some other consequences?

Of course, you will have to die before your will can take effect....lol

But at least you are not leaving it to your heirs to deal with it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
David A Siegel

- founder of Westgate Resorts would get my vote .

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like your idea, but I've also heard nobody is required to accept a timeshare that is willed to them. So you could will it to an heir, and they could refuse it. That sends it back to the HOA, if I understand things correctly. Win-win for the living, and the deceased won't likely care very much. :shrug:

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your heirs DO NOT have to accept anything you bequeath them. Just instruct them to refuse ANY timeshares that they do not want the obligation of. If they refuse it, the deed goes back to the HOA or whatever entity is governing the property at that time. Your estate would be responsible for expenses (Maintenance, etc) until the date of the current owner(s) death. but it ends there. Talk to an attorney versed in estate planning and probate matters in the state where you live.

Jim

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I was thinking, is it possible to include the timeshare in your will and naming the developer as the recipient? Will this work or is there some other consequences?

I've wondered the same thing (and I agree with others that the HOA is probably the party you want to name).

I think the cleanest way to do this would be to name the HOA outright as the sole heir of the timeshare, with no alternates or contingencies. In other words, don't say something like, "If no one else wants it..."

But even in this case, the HOA like anyone else could still "disclaim" the inheritance and thereby force your estate to jump through some hoops in order to compel them to accept it. For example, I suppose they could force you to drag this through a probate procedure that might otherwise not be necessary, and in fact there might be advantages (legal protections) to the HOA in doing so.

So I don't see this as a silver bullet. But it is probably a viable strategy.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Putting the HOA as beneficiary is a futile exercise. They can reject it just like anyone else you name. You just have to make sure the beneficiaries of your estate know that they can reject / disclaim the inheritance. Ultimately it will go back to the HOA, as long as no one wants it and follows the process to disclaim it.

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Putting the HOA as beneficiary is a futile exercise. They can reject it just like anyone else you name.

I agree that the HOA can disclaim the bequest and thereby force you to jump through hoops (time, effort, legal fees, etc.). However, there is also the chance that they will see the writing on the wall (in other words, that no other heirs want the unit) and accept the bequest with no further resistance.

Meanwhile, if the HOA does disclaim the bequest, you are probably no worse off than you otherwise would be.

So I think this strategy is worth considering, while noting its potential limitations.

jamcclure1044

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
I threaten to leave my timeshare to my kids if they really piss me off.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Putting the HOA as beneficiary is a futile exercise. They can reject it just like anyone else you name. You just have to make sure the beneficiaries of your estate know that they can reject / disclaim the inheritance. Ultimately it will go back to the HOA, as long as no one wants it and follows the process to disclaim it.
I agree that the HOA can disclaim the bequest and thereby force you to jump through hoops (time, effort, legal fees, etc.). However, there is also the chance that they will see the writing on the wall (in other words, that no other heirs want the unit) and accept the bequest with no further resistance.

Meanwhile, if the HOA does disclaim the bequest, you are probably no worse off than you otherwise would be.

So I think this strategy is worth considering, while noting its potential limitations.
Why would the property go back to the HOA? Is there something in the CC&Rs that says this? I don't understand this. The HOA never owned the property, so how does it "go back?" Yes, they could eventually foreclose if overdue MF get high enough, but they are not required to.

Albert Ng

Reaction score
Lol, ... this post should be highlighted for all people consider buying timeshare right now. Until death, MF still haunts you :D

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why would the property go back to the HOA? Is there something in the CC&Rs that says this? I don't understand this. The HOA never owned the property, so how does it "go back?" Yes, they could eventually foreclose if overdue MF get high enough, but they are not required to.
It doesn't go back to the HOA. If a recipient disclaims ownership it remains in the estate. Which means probate doesn't close until a method of disposing of the asset is established. In practical terms, I understand that the estate executor must petition the court for permission to abandon the property. Then, it sits around, accumulating dust, until some entity with an interest decides to take action. Maybe the HOA takes action because of unpaid assessments. Or the county takes ownership for unpaid taxes. Or, if it has no value, nobody does anything and it just lays there in Never-Never Land.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are right on the technicality that it would not "go back" to the HOA because the developer originally owned it, not the HOA. But the HOA would likely (re)possess it so that it can try to sell the TS and get the TS into the hands of a fees-paying owner.