• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting rid of broken cell phone

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hubby's flip phone died. Can't charge and won't come on. Should he just take out the sim card and bring it to Best Buy to dispose of? He can't really erase anything since it does not come on.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
That is pretty much what i would do.

A flip phone won't have much data stored on it or at least not compared with a smartphone that runs Android or IOS.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby's flip phone died. Can't charge and won't come on. Should he just take out the sim card and bring it to Best Buy to dispose of? He can't really erase anything since it does not come on.
That's what I'd do, but I don't follow my own advice. I have a shoe box of old, abandoned cell phones that go back decades. I keep intending to take them to BB, but keep forgetting.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
That's what I'd do, but I don't follow my own advice. I have a shoe box of old, abandoned cell phones that go back decades. I keep intending to take them to BB, but keep forgetting.
I
I use to keep them but did sell about 30 of our company phones on ebay. Still have the razor and an old iphone in the junk drawer.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Removing the card leaves stuff stored in the phone's memory. The phone may be unusable, but that doesn't mean no one can tap the phone's memory. I've read that to render that unrecoverable, you can break it into pieces, hit it with a hammer (inside a bag) or put some drill holes in it. That's what I do with old hard drives.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You know all that frustration you're feeling about things in your life right now? Smashing the phone will do a lot to release some of that pent-up emotion.

While you're at it, add in those old dishes you hate that your husband's Mother gave you, or that picture of his old girlfriend. ;)

(Wasn't there a "smash therapy" company that let you pay to destroy old televisions, computers, break windows, and such? I'd think that would be fun.)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You know all that frustration you're feeling about things in your life right now? Smashing the phone will do a lot to release some of that pent-up emotion.

While you're at it, add in those old dishes you hate that your husband's Mother gave you, or that picture of his old girlfriend. ;)

(Wasn't there a "smash therapy" company that let you pay to destroy old televisions, computers, break windows, and such? I'd think that would be fun.)

Dave

Very funny! I actually am losing it being in this holding pattern. I overshot the time we needed to be ready. Probably could have planned to move 2 weeks sooner.

I called the moving company today to see if they can move us next week instead of the following week. Waiting to hear. Would love to move on Monday as the weather is predicted to be nice (and Tuesday also,, which we need for traveling). The weather has been holding out precipitation wise (as in snow) and I want to take advantage of it as well.

I can't take it anymore. Maybe I just will bash that cell phone!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a flip phone you are just making phone calls and an occasional text. Not sure how any "sensitive" data could even be on it once you take the SIM out.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
I'm a fitness fanatic and my latest workout is boxing. OMG - amazingly therapeutic.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a flip phone you are just making phone calls and an occasional text. Not sure how any "sensitive" data could even be on it once you take the SIM out.
I had ATT block text messaging and voice mail on mine. All I can do is make and receive calls...

George

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Removing the card leaves stuff stored in the phone's memory. The phone may be unusable, but that doesn't mean no one can tap the phone's memory. I've read that to render that unrecoverable, you can break it into pieces, hit it with a hammer (inside a bag) or put some drill holes in it. That's what I do with old hard drives.

That you Hilary? Sorry could not resists LOL>

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Though to be fair, many flip phones did have a camera (albeit low quality and limited storage) so there could be some photos on the phone.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you destroy an old hard drive by drilling it or smashing it, can it still be recycled? I have a vague recollection that it couldn’t.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Bury it in the back yard and let some future archaeologist find it .

-that is what the Greeks & Romans did with their broken cell phones