• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting out of a Westgate timeshare (Gathering experiences)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
So I am out of luck of the conventional ways of getting out, and I think these are the three options I have on the table. I wanted to get everyones past experiences and see what it's worth.

1. Negotiate with Westgate myself.
    1. I'm willing to pay almost 1/3 of this timeshare that I've never used. Has anybody had any luck with them? If so, what's the best contact?
  2. Hire a lawyer
    1. I've been in contact with Finn Law Group. Just wondering in general has anybody used a lawyer, what were their experiences and did you hurt your credit in the process?
  3. Timeshare cancellation experts.
    1. I've been in contact with Wesley financial group so I wanted to know if anybody can share their experiences.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom here on TUG is:

1) Do not hire a lawyer or law firm. Whatever a law firm can do for you, you can do yourself for a lot less money.
2) Do not hire any of these relief/exit/cancellation firms. If they're not outright scams, they get you out using either illegal, unquestionable, or unethical means.
3) Negotiating with Westgate might be an option but first, you have to provide us with some info. When did you buy this? Where is the resort located? How much did you put down for a deposit payment? How much is left owing?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should try giving it away. Use ebay or TUG, or Redweek. Even if you have to pay the next year's fees, you are better off doing that than paying anyone to get rid of it. Too bad you were scammed by Wastegate. If it's paid off, it's much easier to get rid of.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
I'll recap all the question

I put about 4k down, have 28k left to pay, I just got the timeshare in Aug 2021

The attorneys fees were about 6k, but I had to take a path which was detrimental to my credit, but that might happen anyway.

No one is going to take 28k...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

The attorneys fees were about 6k, but I had to take a path which was detrimental to my credit, but that might happen anyway.

I would walk away and take a hit to my credit. That is what I would do for a scam like that one. I really dislike that particular product. Buy a Marriott or something else and you will get a different opinion on developer purchases. But Wastegate, that is a terrible product, not worth $1.00. So sorry you were scammed. Don't add additional scams by paying anyone. Just stop paying.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate
I'm willing to pay a 1/3 and not even use it, after that I'm jepordizing everything because my company got bought out

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have two choices. (1) Pay it off, then give it (or try) away. or (2) Stop paying and take the credit hit. Wastegate (as they are known here) are scum and will play hardball. DO NOT hire any law firms, they can't do anything but list nit for sale on obscure websites and nobody will buy a TS for $28,000 that is worth exactly ZERO.

I'm with default and take the hit.

Sorry you got involved with these blood suckers.

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put about 4k down, have 28k left to pay, I just got the timeshare in Aug 2021...
The attorneys fees were about 6k

So you have obviously passed your rescission period so that is out of the question. Now comes some soul-searching. Do you really want to pay $28,000 to salvage something that is worth about one dollar? As bitter of a pill it is to swallow, taking the $4,000 hit is more palatable than paying $28,000 to salvage a Westgate TS and possibly protect your credit score/rating.

As for the attorney fees, why pay them $6000? What are they going to do for you that's worth $6000?

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you know what you need to do. Run, don't walk, away. End the hemorrhage and take the credit hit. As what everyone else is saying, it isn't worth another single hard-earned penny trying to make this problem go away any other way.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

The path detrimental to your credit is available without an attorney. They want you to pay them $6K to tell you to stop paying Wastegate.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
So what happens when they foreclose on the mortgage and get a judgment?
To get a judgment, they have to sue you. That depends on the state in which you live. If the OC (original creditor) were to sue me, I would save the $6K for the best consumer debt attorney to represent me, and it WOULD NOT be any of these timeshare law firms.

Do you live in a state where they can garnish your wages to settle a consumer debt? Some states - they cannot. It sound as if you are on the edge, are you looking at bankruptcy down the road even if you flush this loser?

You want to try to negotiate during the lawsuit to avoid a judgment and see what fraction of $28K they will accept. If a judgment is granted, then you have to submit to a debtor's examination which is like getting your gums scraped while getting a colonoscopy. You don't want to go through it, so don't let them get a default judgment.

If I were looking at a severe economic downturn, I would be examining all my debt and prioritize:
  • Transportation (This helps you keep a job)
  • Housing (If you have a mortgage, it can take a while to foreclose and evict)
  • Utilities
  • Food
If I were renting, I might swap the first two.

I would think War, not Battle. (Note CC and Timeshares do not make the list) YMMV