• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting my Newbie posts out of the way

youngm

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie. I'd like to make a rental request in the last-minute rental area of the board. However, because I'm new I need to make some initial posts to gain PM privileges. I don't have any questions (your FAQs and documentation are great) and don't have anything interesting to post about in the lounge. I don't want to post garbage and annoy the veterans. So, I find myself at a bit of a loss as to how to get my initial posts in.

I've been a member of other boards that provide a place where new members can introduce themselves and chat with each other in an effort to help them get their initial posts out of the way in a place that won't bother the veteran members. Does this board have a place like that? If not, I think something like that would be helpful for new members, trying to navigate the recently added restrictions. Thoughts?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Hello, I'm a newbie. I'd like to make a rental request in the last-minute rental area of the board. However, because I'm new I need to make some initial posts to gain PM privileges. I don't have any questions (your FAQs and documentation are great) and don't have anything interesting to post about in the lounge. I don't want to post garbage and annoy the veterans. So, I find myself at a bit of a loss as to how to get my initial posts in.

I've been a member of other boards that provide a place where new members can introduce themselves and chat with each other in an effort to help them get their initial posts out of the way in a place that won't bother the veteran members. Does this board have a place like that? If not, I think something like that would be helpful for new members, trying to navigate the recently added restrictions. Thoughts?

This works. Welcome to TUG!!

I think you only need 3 to 5 posts. I think this was just added a little while ago as a requirement.

youngm

Reaction score
I think you only need 3 to 5 posts. I think this was just added a little while ago as a requirement.

Well, I guess now that I have my own thread to post to, I don't have to worry so much about bothering veterans. It will be the next newbie's problem. :)

youngm

Reaction score
After my third post, I'm still labeled as a newbie. So, trying for a 4th to see if that clears me.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Well, I guess now that I have my own thread to post to, I don't have to worry so much about bothering veterans. It will be the next newbie's problem. :)

I found this from the post where things changed.

folks with less than 3 posts will now have a RED "newbie" tag under their username and will be limited on their forum activities (ie unable to start conversations). We hope this will curb the number of scammers who register just to send private messages. after making 3 posts you should automatically be promoted to a GUEST and have the ability to start conversations etc, basically all the same permissions from the previous GUEST label.

youngm

Reaction score
Thanks @slip maybe I just need to wait for a db job to run or something. I'll check again tomorrow.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After my third post, I'm still labeled as a newbie. So, trying for a 4th to see if that clears me.

I don't know of it is instantaneous. It may take a little bit.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome to Tug. You're in the right place. Just to mention it, The Lounge is where most non-specific posts are made. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) at what is posted there. The Veterans are a pretty forgiving bunch. No need to fret. Just relax and enjoy yourself. This is a good site, filled with great people.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are posting for the sake of raking up the number of posts to get rid of the Newbie label. You really ought to tell us more about yourself.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see you switched over to Guest now.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Moved to the "New to Timesharing" forum.

youngm

Reaction score
You are posting for the sake of raking up the number of posts to get rid of the Newbie label. You really ought to tell us more about yourself.

Well, I didn't mean this thread to be just a way for me to get Guest status. But, it has kind of become that. :)

I'm a father of 5 kids living in Utah. I love to travel and I'm constantly looking for ways to travel more economically so I can do it more often.

I'm new to the timeshare concept as a viable approach to actually saving money on my travel. At this point, I'm not sure how great a fit it is for me because at present I'm more interested in seeing and experiencing different parts of the world than I am in settling down and taking a regular vacation to a particular set of resorts each year. I definitely don't have the experience to effectively understand and save money on travel with points-based systems either. I hope to start with some rentals to get my feet wet and see what resort-based vacations are all about.

Thanks, everyone for the great content. This site has been great so far.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well, I didn't mean this thread to be just a way for me to get Guest status. But, it has kind of become that. :)

I'm a father of 5 kids living in Utah. I love to travel and I'm constantly looking for ways to travel more economically so I can do it more often.

I'm new to the timeshare concept as a viable approach to actually saving money on my travel. At this point, I'm not sure how great a fit it is for me because at present I'm more interested in seeing and experiencing different parts of the world than I am in settling down and taking a regular vacation to a particular set of resorts each year. I definitely don't have the experience to effectively understand and save money on travel with points-based systems either. I hope to start with some rentals to get my feet wet and see what resort-based vacations are all about.

Thanks, everyone for the great content. This site has been great so far.

Welcome again to Tug. You didn't ask, but I think it needs to be mentioned: If you attend a timesharing sales pitch, do not buy anything from the Developer. You can generally get the same thing they offer for pennies on the dollar, and sometimes even for free. They will try to entice you with all sorts of emotional things about making family memories and such, but at the end of the day, it's mostly smoke and mirrors designed to put sales commissions in their pockets. Don't fall for it. Just don't.

Part of your research here should include trying to learn about different systems that interest you, so you can make an informed sales decision. Once you know how it all works, THEN you should consider buying something. By then, you'll understand the benefits of buying resale, and it'll be second nature to you. Timesharing can be a great way to have fantastic travel opportunities, but you need to go in with your eyes wide open. It can be very easy to get into owning a timeshare, especially a poorly managed one, but it can also be extremely difficult to get out of one. You need to know exactly what you're getting, and getting into.

Your thoughts about renting at first are very good. You can explore different systems and options without any long-term commitment. In the process you can learn firsthand how those systems work, and whether they'll suit your long term goals.

Tug is a great site with a ton of information. People here are helpful, and the Moderators keep most of the BS in check. So pull up a chair and start reading. There is plenty to be learned here. For the best experience, spend the $15 to become a member. It will give you full access to the entire site, remove annoying pop-up ads nonmembers see, and it is money very well spent.

Welcome aboard.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the TUG Website.

cecilia.noelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate this post, as I always have the same series of thoughts (of being concerned with annoying the veteran members) when I join a new forum :LOL:
Thanks for making a post another "newbie" can respond to:thumbup:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Grandview Las Vegas
Old thread and trying to get my creds to Guest. Amazing site and invaluable info.

kcheyne

Reaction score
Cluttering up your thread to gain my newbie posts also. Looking forward to TUG.

jeanf

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate VV since 1987
Finally registered after reading this site for years. Got so many excellent tips and do watch the youtube videos. Yes I bought Westgate in 1987 when it was only in Kissimmee and they were just starting phase 2, before we had kids, as we knew we wanted to vacation in roomy places with them. Have never regretted it, as we purchased for very reasonable price back then. Have only been to Westgate 3 times in all those years. Spent Christmas vacation 2 weeks for over 10 years in various locations in Florida and our favourite Ormond Beach with the kids. Now that my kids are grown and independent, husband and I have headed to Vegas many times.
Love reading all your tips and experiences, and I do NOT attend sales pitches in any locations...ever!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How do I add my location, as I'm in Southern Ontario Canada?
Thanks!
Click your name on the upper right in the blue bar (next to envelope). Account Details to edit location.