• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting into MVC Strategy

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at three possible scenarios to add a Marriott timeshare (I already own HRC) and I’m struggling a bit to understand the options within MVC system and decide which way to go.

At a high level (not fully understanding how things work) I am thinking of few ways to join MVC. I am mostly interested in Week 52 at Aruba, knowing that we would go about every 3 years or so and either rent or trade for other locations the other years. Problem here is that asking cost of resale for week 52 seems high (even after I assume asking price is 30 to 40% above what the owner really wants or sell for) considering that if I’m offered to enroll the week it would cost me another $35K (3k points at approx. $11/point), so that week would cost me close to or over $70K. At that point I would just buy direct and get other perks. Does not seem like the smartest financial way to do it even for week 52.

So the way I see it, here are my options to get into the MVC:
  1. Suck it up buy resale and eventually enroll possibly costing me an unreasonable amount of money;
  2. Buy a reasonable floating week somewhere and rent when I want to go to Aruba for week 52 (with patience hopefully find a reasonable rent);
  3. Buy a small amount of resale points (1K), then rent points(don’t know how this works and how points would transfer/expire) from owners as needed to reserve weeks as needed every year and rent for week 52 above when desired.
Am I completely off and are there better ways to achieve this? I'm assuming that it would almost be impossible to trade into week 52 at Aruba.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’m looking at three possible scenarios to add a Marriott timeshare (I already own HRC) and I’m struggling a bit to understand the options within MVC system and decide which way to go.

At a high level (not fully understanding how things work) I am thinking of few ways to join MVC. I am mostly interested in Week 52 at Aruba, knowing that we would go about every 3 years or so and either rent or trade for other locations the other years. Problem here is that asking cost of resale for week 52 seems high (even after I assume asking price is 30 to 40% above what the owner really wants or sell for) considering that if I’m offered to enroll the week it would cost me another $35K (3k points at approx. $11/point), so that week would cost me close to or over $70K. At that point I would just buy direct and get other perks. Does not seem like the smartest financial way to do it even for week 52.

1. Suck it up buy resale and eventually enroll possibly costing me an unreasonable amount of money;
  2. Buy a reasonable floating week somewhere and rent when I want to go to Aruba for week 52 (with patience hopefully find a reasonable rent);
  3. Buy a small amount of resale points (1K), then rent points(don’t know how this works and how points would transfer/expire) from owners as needed to reserve weeks as needed every year and rent for week 52 above when desired.
Am I completely off and are there better ways to achieve this? I'm assuming that it would almost be impossible to trade into week 52 at Aruba.
Why not just rent when and where you want to go?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort

70k does not seem unreasonable for week 52 depending on the size of your villa if that's the week you really want. I own a 3 bdr, oceanfront in the Napili building in Maui, week 50. I know we paid a lot more than 70k for that week. We purchased it new in 2008. Shortly after Marriott switched to points so we rarely use the villa because we enjoy the flexibility of points and ability to use different properties without dealing with interval international. It's nice to know that the week is there every year when we don't opt for the points. Our point value for that week is 10,220. We don't need 3 bdrs so those points have taken us to many places.
I know there are people that will disagree with me and that's fine. Everyone has different travel needs and likes and dislikes.
I hope this helps! Aloha!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aruba Ocean club can be booked during week 52 without buying more than a standard platinum

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aruba Ocean club can be booked during week 52 without buying more than a standard platinum

This is correct. Aruba Ocean Club did not sell week 52 as a Platinum Plus. Its just a regular platinum floating week. Surf Club was sold as a fixed platinum plus week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

You may have issues reserving either on points or for a floating week at OC for that week. I'd look for a "reasonably priced" resale at Surf Club week 52 and rent it out when you don't go. Or just rent yourself when you do go. I'd buy something else to use of as a trader for other locations either way. An alterntative is to buy an OC platinum week and a trader that will work to reserve at 13 month out that's Platinum that time.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
70k does not seem unreasonable for week 52 depending on the size of your villa if that's the week you really want. I own a 3 bdr, oceanfront in the Napili building in Maui, week 50. I know we paid a lot more than 70k for that week. We purchased it new in 2008. Shortly after Marriott switched to points so we rarely use the villa because we enjoy the flexibility of points and ability to use different properties without dealing with interval international. It's nice to know that the week is there every year when we don't opt for the points. Our point value for that week is 10,220. We don't need 3 bdrs so those points have taken us to many places.
I know there are people that will disagree with me and that's fine. Everyone has different travel needs and likes and dislikes.
I hope this helps! Aloha!

What is a typical year of vacations like for you? Resort/room size/trip length/travel month?

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is a typical year of vacations like for you? Resort/room size/trip length/travel month?

Multiple trips a year, usually spring break (at least four nights tied to kids school schedule), a summer beach vacation (week), Thanksgiving week and New Years. Most are somewhere 4-7 nights. Tired of hotel rooms and in need of more space, so that's why I bought into timeshares and looking for one more that can fill/guarantee those high demand weeks. I'll add that we prefer warm weather (although we spent this Christmas week in CO :))

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
For the Marriott points for our Maui week, 10,220 DC points
and the 3,000 DC points we purchased in 2010 we have used them mostly all over California and Hawaii.
We had a special 30 day trip back east in 2016 using DC points. Every night of that trip was covered by our points from DC to New Orleans.

Here is an example of last year through February 2021.

Last February 14 days in a 1 bdr in Palm Desert, October 15 nights in a studio in Kauai and will spend 13 nights in a studio in Kauai this coming February. I may extend if it's not safe for me to fly home.
We own multiple weeks at another resort on Kauai so it's convenient to use the Marriott at the beginning and or end of our vacation. Nothing about 2020/21 has been normal because of covid. Having DC points are nice because I was able to extend my time in Kauai hoping things will settle down at home.

As mentioned above we purchased an additional 3k points. At the time that amount of points put us the highest level in the club.
That number has gone up but we were grandfathered in so we kept the same level. I'm not sure I would do it now because we didn't really need them because of our 2 months ownership at our non Marriott resort.

We truely enjoy our our MVCI ownership!
It may not be for everyone! It works for us and the way we like to travel and what we expect of our accommodations.
Happy travels!