• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting from Poughkeepsie NY to EWR airport without a car?

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to fly my mother to visit me, she is working in Poughkeepsie at a family where she lives in. She doesn't have or drive a car, and she will need to get from Poughkeepsie to the airport in Newark.

What are her options - is there a metro train or Amtrak, and what type of connections would she make? Hoping someone who is familiar with the public transit system there can help. Thank you!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would like to fly my mother to visit me, she is working in Poughkeepsie at a family where she lives in. She doesn't have or drive a car, and she will need to get from Poughkeepsie to the airport in Newark.

What are her options - is there a metro train or Amtrak, and what type of connections would she make? Hoping someone who is familiar with the public transit system there can help. Thank you!

I know it is expensive, but we always just hire a car/driver (through any limo service) to take us to and from Newark from Pine Bush, NY.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks both - how much is the car hire? Any companies that you recommend?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last edited:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like about $200 one way. Ouch.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Your mom can take an Amtrak train right to Penn Station, and then take a PATH train to EWR (have to take an airtrain shuttle).
Or she can take an Amtrak all the way, but she would have to change trains and have a layover. Amtrak has an EWR station also. Sample fare for Amtrak only - $53.
Sample fare for Amtrak to Penn then PATH - $24 + $2 for the PATH train.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks. It looks like about $200 one way. Ouch.

Yes. I know. Expensive. But - it is a far trip from Pougkeepsie to Newark and then there's tolls, gas, the driver-nice thing is they wait for you at airport on your return trip by the luggage spot (they hold up a sign with your last name on it so you can spot them) and help you with your bags. You can sleep in the car if you are tired. They bring you right to the airline check-in when you go. I do not know of a car service in Dutchess, as we are in Sullivan and use locally here, but you can Google it and some local ones should come up for sure. You do not need a limo or van - just request a "car". They will pick her up right at the door. If her plane is delayed either way, they standby. I don't know how old she is, but, believe me, it would be much easier for her.

Sounds like the Amtrack thing is the cheaper way to go, but a hassle. And if she is tired or jet lagged on the way home, it can be hard.

If you do get a car, check that the gratuity is included.:wave:

Last edited:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mom is 55. She will not have any luggage - just a small carry on, and she has a nonstop flight from EWR. The Metro North Rail train from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central is very easy - it comes very often. And that Coach USA that runs all day every 15 mins bus looks great. This actually looks all very easy.

I am already paying for her plane ticket, and really cannot afford over $400 to hire a private car. It probably makes sense when you have more people travel, given the cost of public transit for 3-4 individuals, but for one person it's a huge difference.

Thanks all for the help!

Last edited:

beach_bumz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adriana,

I've taken the Amtrak from Poughkeepsie to GCT, then on to Newark several times and it's really easy.

Once she gets to GCT she exits, crosses the street and there are buses that go to EWR.

PM me if you want the specific details.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My mom is 55. She will not have any luggage - just a small carry on, and she has a nonstop flight from EWR. The Metro North Rail train from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central is very easy - it comes very often. And that Coach USA that runs all day every 15 mins bus looks great. This actually looks all very easy.

I am already paying for her plane ticket, and really cannot afford over $400 to hire a private car. It probably makes sense when you have more people travel, given the cost of public transit for 3-4 individuals, but for one person it's a huge difference.

Thanks all for the help!

You're right. That's true. We are usually 3 people when we travel. Glad the rail/bus thing will work out for your mom:) . Certainly is a big savings!