• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Getting Around Aruba

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

We are off to Aruba Surf Club this coming weekend. Just wondering about people's thoughts on renting a car? We don't want for entire trip, but was considering a day rental to see the island.

Any recommendations on rental locations near the Marriott and approximate costs?

Thanks,

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always rent a car. We like to go out to dinner every night - and we love the Flying Fishbone which is a bit of a hike. You can take taxis everywhere, but if you plan on going out a lot, it's probably worth having a car.

Look online. You can usually find good deals. They're very nice at the rental places - and they're two steps outside of the airport (no shuttles:cheer: )

BonBiniGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jo Jo -

We've been to Aruba 6 times and own at the Surf Club. We have never rented a car. There are a few places like the Baby Beach or Flying Fish Bone where a car would be handy, but we seem to manage. The area around the Surf Club has built up a great deal in the past 5 years and there are a lot of places to eat within walking distance. We usually take one of the island tours if we are looking to get out and see the island or go snorkeling. There is a bus that will take you downtown and back for a couple bucks. And then there are taxis which are available if you don't feel like driving or decide not to rent a car. All fees for taxis are fixed in Aruba and are not per person (http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html). I think it all depends on what you are looking to do on the island. For the most part my days are spent with a couple books and a cool drink by the ocean or pool.

Have fun next week!
Liz

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Zac495 & BonBiniGirl,

Thanks for the great advice.

Our current thinking is to taxi from the airport, and do a "one day" rental to visit sites such as Baby Beach, Flying Fish Bone, etc. Since this is our first time to Aruba, we would like to do some touring.

However, our plan is to enjoy the Marriott property (and surrounding area) as much as possible.

Question: National Car rental have outlets at Holiday Inn and the Hyatt. Not sure how close either of these rental locations are to Marriott? Or perhaps Marriott has an onsite rental kiosk?

Thanks again for your recommendations!

Cheers,

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Question: National Car rental have outlets at Holiday Inn and the Hyatt. Not sure how close either of these rental locations are to Marriott? Or perhaps Marriott has an onsite rental kiosk?

Marriott has an onsite kiosk for National down the hall from the main lobby. If you plan to do island site-seeing, I'd recommend getting a jeep for the day so you can venture out onto the desert side of the island.

As others have said, renting a car for the week is sometimes preferable to taxis. We look at it as a convenience thing. But we also get super cheap rentals. We were at the Surf Club for 2 weeks in November and paid just over $300 for a car for the whole 2 weeks. With all of the taxi fees we would have had, we probably barely paid more for the rental, and the convenience makes up for that.

Have a blast. We love Aruba. We'll miss it for at least one year. :(

LDT

Reaction score
Our first trip we did not rent a vehicle ahead of time. After a couple days we rented a 4X4 and have done so on every trip since. Last couple years we have used Royal and had real good luck. They will deliver it to you pick it up. Have fun!

Three weeks for us then:wave:

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jo Jo this question has been asked and answered MANY times...try a search. Opinions vary but its so easy to drive, no parking fee and cabs are so expensive that to us its a no brainer....rent a car! There are many restaurants and activities that you have to drive to. IMHO you should rent from the airport...we used the car every day.

mcm21078

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread through a search - does anyone have a list of a few company's that will let you pick up and drop off at the airport?

We're going in August and the cab prices to and fro airport, and Flying Fishbone pretty much justify us renting a car for the week.

I know there is National, Budget...anything else

Thanks

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Zac495 & BonBiniGirl,

Thanks for the great advice.

Our current thinking is to taxi from the airport, and do a "one day" rental to visit sites such as Baby Beach, Flying Fish Bone, etc. Since this is our first time to Aruba, we would like to do some touring.

However, our plan is to enjoy the Marriott property (and surrounding area) as much as possible.

Thanks again for your recommendations!

Cheers,
We own 3 weeks at the OC . We have been going to Aruba for 27 years and we always rent a car. We use Economy Car Rental and as of last year they have a branch in the OC. They give Marriott owners a discount and we have always had good luck with their cars.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
We rented last time from Top Drive and the car was in great shape. We paid a few dollars extra for a newer model car, and it was worth it. They are off site, but pick you up at the airport and are less than five minutes away. On return they drive you right back, so there is no taxi fare involved.

Enjoy Flying Fishbone- it is a favorite of ours!

byebye

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found this thread through a search - does anyone have a list of a few company's that will let you pick up and drop off at the airport?

We're going in August and the cab prices to and fro airport, and Flying Fishbone pretty much justify us renting a car for the week.

I know there is National, Budget...anything else

Thanks

We have been going to the Surf Club for awhile and always rent a car right at the airport but we go through Royal. The cost to me is pretty cheap. I usually get a Toyota Yaris w/air and its less than $200 for the week. They pick you up at the entrance, drive across the street to sign some papers and your off. Then you return the vehicle back to them and they drive you to the airport - about a 5 min drive. The taxi savings alone back/forth to the Surf Club is close to half. Then you can go to Lings for groceries, downtown whenever you like and tour the island when you want - just can't go to the natural pool because of the non-existent road.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We always rent a car when we go to Aruba.

I just like to have the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want.

We use Hans at Tropic.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I also used Royal for several visits- liked that they used to give a free cell phone, but they stopped doing that. Cars were always old, but they worked. My friends, however, had a bad experience with them last Christmas week and the people at the Marriott told her they never recommend them because of such issues. That made me wary.

jaym

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also used Royal for several visits- liked that they used to give a free cell phone, but they stopped doing that. Cars were always old, but they worked. My friends, however, had a bad experience with them last Christmas week and the people at the Marriott told her they never recommend them because of such issues. That made me wary.

My wife, two sons, and I stayed at MSU in 2009 and rented a vehicle for 4 days or so from Econo. They had an airport and LaQuinta rental office. Not certain if this independent is still there in Aruba....When we arrived to pickup our car, they presented us with a dated Toyota Matrix with a hatchback. I forget the model year but I can tell you it was at least 7-8 years old and overall condition was poor. Faded paint, many small dents, nearly bald tires, worn interior. The woman spent at least 10 minutes circling the multiple dents locations all over the vehicle on the car sketch on the rental paperwork...:annoyed:
We were disappointed at this point but thought it was late to start over, figured we'd get by for a few days. On our last full day on the island, we set out to tour around the island a bit and found the front passenger tire flat as a pancake. We called their office and were initially informed we would likely need to pay for the repair and they would send a mechanic to evaluate. I told them that it was through no fault of mine, tires had virtually no tread. After several calls and about three hours, the mechanic stated it was not due to our negligence but a nail puncture. That ended our plans for the day and my plans to ever use this company in the future. Sounds like others have had some decent experiences with other local companies. Enjoy your trip, Aruba is a great spot to vacation.

Last edited: