• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Get WM Credits by Exchanging other TS week into RCI

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently did an owner presentation and learned that we can trade another timeshare week we have each year and get 7000 WM points into our account. They gave us a form to fill out once we have exchanged into RCI.

Have any of you done this successfully? Any tips/tricks? Is it worth it? (I pay $700 maint fees with my other TS which is close to what I'm paying WM for 7000 credits.)

I'm also curious if any of you have bought TS's on the resale market specifically for this purpose (to get more WM points into your account without having to by WM at a higher price on resale).

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The program is known as the Exchange Plus program, and it is pretty straight-forward. Here is the link for more info:

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/education/pdfs/RCI_Exchange_Plus_Form.pdf

If you have an existing timeshare that it is a reasonable option.

But while it might be cheaper to acquire timeshare to exchange for credits, it is a usually a lot harder to get rid of it later. And when you factor in all the fees involved, it tends to be cheaper to just rent in credits.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have looked at it before but passed on it. My $1600 MF week gets 8000 WM points (equivalent to about $640). In my case it is like trading a BMW for a Kia.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have looked at it before but passed on it. My $1600 MF week gets 8000 WM points (equivalent to about $640). In my case it is like trading a BMW for a Kia.

Fortunately my TS's MF are only around $700 and we'd get 7000 credits for it so it's about an even trade. It seems like the 1 bedroom exchange is the best deal at 7000 points as the bigger units only get a thousand or so more - like you said - trading a BMW fir a Kia. Our other ts is in Florida and now that we live on the west coast it is hard to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
The program is known as the Exchange Plus program, and it is pretty straight-forward. Here is the link for more info:

If you have an existing timeshare that it is a reasonable option.

But while it might be cheaper to acquire timeshare to exchange for credits, it is a usually a lot harder to get rid of it later. And when you factor in all the fees involved, it tends to be cheaper to just rent in credits.

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit nervous about trying it but since our other ts is in Florida and we are in the northwest it seems like a good option.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
If you get 7000 credits for your mf $700 plus the $129 exchange fee, it means you will be paying about 11 cents per credit. And since credits go for about 7 cents per, it is only is a good option if your not able to use your FL timeshare and can put the credits to use.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm a bit nervous about trying it but since our other ts is in Florida and we are in the northwest it seems like a good option.
I've used it ... once, in the long distant past, when the fee was closer to $39 (?). It is a straightforward process and works "as indicated in the form's fine print." Do be aware that trade credits have a 1-year shelf life.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used it ... once, in the long distant past, when the fee was closer to $39 (?). It is a straightforward process and works "as indicated in the form's fine print." Do be aware that trade credits have a 1-year shelf life.

Thanks! Wish the fee was $39 still.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Fortunately my TS's MF are only around $700 and we'd get 7000 credits for it so it's about an even trade. It seems like the 1 bedroom exchange is the best deal at 7000 points as the bigger units only get a thousand or so more - like you said - trading a BMW fir a Kia. Our other ts is in Florida and now that we live on the west coast it is hard to use it.

Perhaps your best option is to sell or give away the other timeshare. Any way you look at it, you will be paying $2-300 extra for those 7000 credits over renting. Your costs to use the program are $829 for MF and the transfer fee. Renting in 7000 credits is about $500 or using one of the cash options like Monday madness or fax ranges from 500-$560. Rather than losing several hundred dollars each year, perhaps giving it away or using it for exchange to someplace on the west coast is a better option?

Sue

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether this counts against your 2x credit renting in per year limit? I've rented in my max already, so even though this isn't quite as economic as renting credits it might be worth it

I'm hosting a bunch of family for a 90th birthday celebration at Canmore, and prefer not to buy more credits for a one time thing.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
@bizaro86, I'm not entirely sure ... but I think you are safe to add Exchange Plus (trade credits) to your rented credits. Congrats to all involved on the 90th b'day celebration. What a lovely celebration!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is thd 2X renting option? I'm pretty new and had not heard of it.
Changes introduced in recent years, in attempt to limit commercial renting practices, now limit the number of credits that may be rented, or transferred into the account from another party, to twice the annual account size. Also, the housekeeping token no longer transfers when renting the credits.

So, if your account is 6k annual, you may have an additional 12k transferred to your account each year from other sources.

On a different note, taken from your comment of being "new," are you sure your account qualifies for Exchange Plus? As I read the form, it references this feature as being part of The Exchange Network (TEN) which is only available to accounts purchased direct from the developer or grandfathered from transfers prior to TravelShare's introduction in 2006.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changes introduced in recent years, in attempt to limit commercial renting practices, now limit the number of credits that may be rented, or transferred into the account from another party, to twice the annual account size. Also, the housekeeping token no longer transfers when renting the credits.

So, if your account is 6k annual, you may have an additional 12k transferred to your account each year from other sources.

On a different note, taken from your comment of being "new," are you sure your account qualifies for Exchange Plus? As I read the form, it references this feature as being part of The Exchange Network (TEN) which is only available to accounts purchased direct from the developer or grandfathered from transfers prior to TravelShare's introduction in 2006.

We bought from the developer so it would apply I hope. It's a great option to have since I would pay an extra $150 with my home resort to transfer to another resort in the west should we not go to Florida.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
We bought from the developer so it would apply I hope. It's a great option to have since I would pay an extra $150 with my home resort to transfer to another resort in the west should we not go to Florida.

It is irrelevant whether you bought from the developer or resale. The rule about transferring credits is the same regardless. You should call and ask whether these type of credits apply or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Sue

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know whether this counts against your 2x credit renting in per year limit? I've rented in my max already, so even though this isn't quite as economic as renting credits it might be worth it.

Reportedly it does count against the 2x credit limit. The report on WMO indicated they got both answers from Owner Care, but still was unable to rent in credits until their anniversary.

Last edited:

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get 7000 credits for your mf $700 plus the $129 exchange fee, it means you will be paying about 11 cents per credit. And since credits go for about 7 cents per, it is only is a good option if your not able to use your FL timeshare and can put the credits to use.

I see what you are saying. It might be our only option next year as I don't think we'll have time to use our week and can easily take a long weekend with our WM credits and a quick 2-3 hour drive which is what we love about WM!

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score

Can resale purchases use this program? I see the pdf states:
"The Exchange Plus Program is a benefit of The Exchange Network (TEN) which is the exchange program offered and operated by Wyndham Resorts Development Corporation (WRDC) doing business as WorldMark by Wyndham (WBW). The Exchange Plus Program allows TEN Members who own a Qualified Timeshare Week the ability to receive Trade Credits for such week for usage in TEN."

Is TEN only for purchases prior to 2006 and/or developer purchases? I'm new to Worldmark - just purchased a bunch of credits that will not transfer to me until about June/July 2018.

According to the pdf, "Owner shall receive one free housekeeping credit for each Qualified Timeshare Week accepted through the Exchange Plus program."

So the exchange fee nets to $29 if you subtract $100 for the housekeeping fee. Rented points do not come with a housekeeping credit.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it is open to all members. If you read the TEN document carefully, you will see that even resale members are members of TEN, it is just that our credits cannot be used in TEN. On FB, it has been reported that Travelshare members get the exchange fee waived.

And you could look at it as reducing the exchange fee.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is open to all members. If you read the TEN document carefully, you will see that even resale members are members of TEN, it is just that our credits cannot be used in TEN. On FB, it has been reported that Travelshare members get the exchange fee waived.

And you could look at it as reducing the exchange fee.
Cool! Thank you for the information. I didn't know about this - it will be a nice way to deal with my Sheraton Broadway Plantation week that I have been trying to give away. I can just deposit it into RCI as two one bedroom units to get 14,000 Worldmark credits, pay the $258, and get two housekeeping credits. It will be more than renting credits from another Worldmark owner - but a great option until I can give the SBP unit away. :)

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thank you for the information. I didn't know about this - it will be a nice way to deal with my Sheraton Broadway Plantation week that I have been trying to give away. I can just deposit it into RCI as two one bedroom units to get 14,000 Worldmark credits, pay the $258, and get two housekeeping credits. It will be more than renting credits from another Worldmark owner - but a great option until I can give the SBP unit away. :)

Looks like a great option for you:) and congrats on your purchase. We have been thinking of purchasing more WM Credits via resale. Would you mind telling me where you purchased yours?

So sad about this option to exchange for WM credits for our other timeshare as I just learned today I won't be able do Exchange Plus as my other TS only trades with II. I was not planning to renew my II but perhaps that might be what we do if we can't use our week this year.

Another thing I learned through this process is that our RCI Account through WM is a "points" program not a "week" program. So, even if my TS traded with RCI I would have to first purchase a RCI "Weeks" membership for $99 in order to deposit my week in there.

Lessons, lessons..... hope these help other tuggers out there:)

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great option for you:) and congrats on your purchase. We have been thinking of purchasing more WM Credits via resale. Would you mind telling me where you purchased yours?

So sad about this option to exchange for WM credits for our other timeshare as I just learned today I won't be able do Exchange Plus as my other TS only trades with II. I was not planning to renew my II but perhaps that might be what we do if we can't use our week this year.

Another thing I learned through this process is that our RCI Account through WM is a "points" program not a "week" program. So, even if my TS traded with RCI I would have to first purchase a RCI "Weeks" membership for $99 in order to deposit my week in there.

Lessons, lessons..... hope these help other tuggers out there:)

I purchased one contract through redweek and the other on ebay. I thought that If you have a WM points membership, it automatically came with a weeks membership as well.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased one contract through redweek and the other on ebay. I thought that If you have a WM points membership, it automatically came with a weeks membership as well.

Not according to the RCI rep I spoke with. The WM RCI membership is a points not a week membership. There are two different kinds of RCI accounts.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The free RCI account is for Travelshare members and is a points acct - resale members have to pay for their own RCI weeks acct.

And yes - you need an RCI weeks acct to use Exchange Plus or an II acct, and the resort you intend to deposit has to trade with that exchange network.

Also you need to do the math and see if the Exchange Plus option makes sense when you add up the dues for the resort and the exchange fees. From a price per credit ....

Jrogersok - sounds like a good reason to renew your II membership with one of the discount codes they frequently offer.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
The free RCI account is for Travelshare members and is a points acct - resale members have to pay for their own RCI weeks acct.

And yes - you need an RCI weeks acct to use Exchange Plus or an II acct, and the resort you intend to deposit has to trade with that exchange network.

Also you need to do the math and see if the Exchange Plus option makes sense when you add up the dues for the resort and the exchange fees. From a price per credit ....

Jrogersok - sounds like a good reason to renew your II membership with one of the discount codes they frequently offer.
Eric - yep -- I just got a two years for the price of one with II so looks like I'm going to need to go with it.