• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Genius Exit - The Ethical Timeshare Exit Company

adizzle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Flagship Resort
Hi - I inherited my grandfather's timeshare and am looking to exit or sell it. I discovered a timeshare exit company called GeniusExit - The Ethical Timeshare Exit Company. They offered a option to exit one time share for approximately $3,000. There is also a 9 month 100% money back guarantee offer. Are people familiar with this organization? If they are not successful in exiting the timeshare for us, and they give our money back, are we still liable for the maintenance fees?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - I inherited my grandfather's timeshare and am looking to exit or sell it. I discovered a timeshare exit company called GeniusExit - The Ethical Timeshare Exit Company. They offered a option to exit one time share for approximately $3,000. There is also a 9 month 100% money back guarantee offer. Are people familiar with this organization? If they are not successful in exiting the timeshare for us, and they give our money back, are we still liable for the maintenance fees?

We have NEVER found ANY upfront-fee exit company to be anything but a scam. They can't do anything you can't do yourself. There are NO magic words they can use to make make a legally drawn contract 'go away'.

For starters, you are NOT required to accept the bequest of any 'asset'. Have the probate attorney write to the management company, with a death cert, and tell then, that no heir will accept the deed. The End. Or, If the TS is paid off and clear, many have 'deedback' programs that will take the ownership back.

Good Luck. Keep your money.

Jim

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you realize that you do NOT have to inherit something if you don't want it. You would want to consult the estate attorney for details. That being said, if you are on the deed now, you do own the timeshare. Paying someone to get you out of it is always a bad idea. There is no "secret recipe" that the exit company has to get you out. I would google "timeshare exit scams" to understand what I am saying. If you really think this company is so good, why not tell them you will pay them AFTER they get you out. Money-back guarantees are never a good idea. Once they have your money, they have little incentive to do any work. They usually tell you to stop contact and stop paying on the timeshare. Then you go into default, the developer possesses the timeshare, and your credit is ruined. You would be better to contact the developer to deed back the timeshare, sell it, or give it away.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using the wisdom of RX8, I looked up "Genius Exit" with Whois. The domain name was registered 12/20/20 in Toronto by a private 3rd party. They have glowing reviews on Trustpilot starting in February. They purport to have helped thousands exit their timeshares. ???? Really??? Seems like a very short time to have done such major work. Please note, not all posts on the review sites are from real people. Some are manufactured. You will get some good ideas from TUG members, but this company won't be one of them.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

RUN. RUN. RUN.

Can't depend on any guarantee they waive in front of you because they will either be in jail or out of business by the time you want your money back. Additionally, your timeshare is likely worth little or nothing so why would anyone want to pay someone for it? Now you know why they want to be paid in advance!

Get in touch with the Resort and ask if you can do a "Deed Back". Otherwise give it away in the free Giveaway section on TUG or place it on eBay for $1.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
@adizzle WAITAMINUTE! I wasn't familiar with 'The Flagship Resort', so looked it up in TUG Reviews. If correct, this is Four Seasons Scottsdale. TSs don't get much better. It scores 9.9 out of 10 on TUG, and avg MF is almost $2300. This isn't a giveaway.

If the OP wasn't a one-post drive-by, AND if they care to pay the princely sum of $15 to actually JOIN TUG, they can post it in the marketplace to SELL or RENT.

Still, DON'T pay an upfront fee outfit to get rid of it. You can do MUCH better, and TUGgers will help with step-by-step instructions. Start here: How to Sell Your Timeshare and avoid getting scammed | Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums (tugbbs.com)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Reactions: RX8

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
[sarcasm] I want someone to pay ME $3000 to help them get out of their timeshare. I'll give it away for free, and pocket the money. Hey, sounds like a great business model! I could make a fortune doing that! [/sarcasm]

Save your money. Refuse to accept it, give it away, or give it back. The resort you have named is worth nothing - maybe even less than that. :D

Dave

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might be. Since the OP made just one post and didn't elaborate, I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a shill by/for the upfront fee exit outfit.

Shills for companies like these tend to emphasize the alleged money-back guarantee. Although, the OP did mention the price ($3000), something that a lot of suspected shills on here tend to omit.

adizzle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Flagship Resort
Everyone, thanks for the responses thus far. I never imagined such quick and informed responses. I was already against using Timeshare exit companies, but you all settled it. Cheers to money not thrown down the drain.

Finally, The Flagship that I was referencing is indeed the Flagship Resort in Atlantic City. I wish that it was the Four Seasons Scottsdale. I'm sure I would be able to market that one.

thanks again.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Everyone, thanks for the responses thus far. I never imagined such quick and informed responses. I was already against using Timeshare exit companies, but you all settled it. Cheers to money not thrown down the drain.

Finally, The Flagship that I was referencing is indeed the Flagship Resort in Atlantic City. I wish that it was the Four Seasons Scottsdale. I'm sure I would be able to market that one.

thanks again.
Yeah, Ok, sure.

Austin1981

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I'm one of the real estate litigation attorneys (NYS Bar #4986634) who founded GeniusExit, and I'd like a chance to clear a few things up, if you'd allow me. Before I do, let me give you some background on me. I'm a trial and appellate litigator by trade, and an expert in real property law. I have over 50 published judicial opinions citing me as counsel of record, and here is my most recent appellate win, reversing the trial court (on an issue of fact, following a hearing!!!!!), http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2021/2021_02562.htm. I'd still be perfecting appeals, but-for Covid, and yet instead I was able to join forces with a legal tech company, GeniusLaw.

GeniusLaw's primary focus is aiding in the delivery of unbundled legal services for mortgage foreclosure defense, and facilitating loss mitigation efforts. We began to notice an influx of people looking for relief from their timeshare, so we investigated the industry and learned what people here already know: most exit companies are scams that do nothing for their clients except take their money and ruin their credit. At the same time, the perils of timeshare ownership may be relieved with a simple transfer of title. Thus, less than a year ago, we partitioned our timeshare resolution operations under GeniusExit as a direct subsidiary of GeniusLaw.

We know we're not winning anyone over on this forum. Many people here truly love their timeshare, and companies like GeniusExit make it more expensive, as each owner we exit increases the yearly fee for everyone left owning it. That's right: we use the Viking Ship model, which means, if your resort won't take it back, we'll exit your paid-off timeshare by transferring it out of your name. You can read @TUGBrian's critique of it here, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/story-on-viking-ship-llc-companies.218629/#post-1688020, as he explains that the only problems he has with the Viking Ship model are that (1) that the exit companies lie about it, or (2) they take your money without doing the work. We're honest about being a Viking Ship, and we do the work (transferring a deed after reviewing CC&R et al. is child's play for someone who knows what they're doing).

It's a fact that many (if not most) in the "exit industry" simply don't do the work. Please, stay skeptical of exit companies. This industry is completely unregulated and overrun by bad actors. More to the point, we agree that the exit industry SHOULD NOT exist. It is an insult and slap in the face to both resorts and timeshare owners. We agree with Brian, in that resorts should accept paid-off timeshares, without question or objection, and without a "transfer" fee. If they did that, no one would think about paying thousands to exit a timeshare.

That being said, the fact that the exit industry exists speaks to the difficulty, if not utter impossibility, in exiting a timeshare by yourself. To be sure, if it was as simple as giving a timeshare away, who in their right mind would pay $3000 or more to help them "exit?" Nearly every client of ours tried on their own to get out, but was unable.

Nevertheless, allow me to be emphatic: before you contact GeniusExit or anyone about getting rid of your timeshare, call your resort, as there's a chance they will treat you with the respect you deserve, and take your deed back without any hassle. If that fails and you want to waste some more time, please feel free to try to resell it. When that doesn't work, meaning when the resort won't take it back and you can't give it away, then consider giving us a call. Here's the thing, most timeshares are worthless and can't be given away, but so long as you own it, they have you on the hook for maintenance fees and more. At that point, if you're not keeping it, you must either incorporate your own legal entity to accept the title, pull the land records to comply with the CC&R, draft real property instruments in recordable form, and file them with the appropriate clerk, or you hire GeniusExit to do it for you.

We have NEVER found ANY upfront-fee exit company to be anything but a scam. They can't do anything you can't do yourself. There are NO magic words they can use to make make a legally drawn contract 'go away'.

For starters, you are NOT required to accept the bequest of any 'asset'. Have the probate attorney write to the management company, with a death cert, and tell then, that no heir will accept the deed. The End. Or, If the TS is paid off and clear, many have 'deedback' programs that will take the ownership back.

Good Luck. Keep your money.

Jim

Sorry, my friend, but that's not how inheritance or real property law works. As all first-year law school are taught: there's no such thing as real property without an owner. If you own it at the time of your demise, it devolves to your heirs at law, automatically and immediately at the moment of death via the rules of intestacy, unless addressed in a will. This is a fancy way of saying, whether it's a farm, cottage, or timeshare ownership, any real property interest that remains in your name when you die automatically passes to your heirs (absent a will). That's just how the law works. Can you pay an attorney to handle it, instead of GeniusExit? Sure, for a mere $400+ an hour, but, either way, you still have to address the automatic vesting of that real property interest, attorney or not.

I hope you realize that you do NOT have to inherit something if you don't want it. You would want to consult the estate attorney for details. That being said, if you are on the deed now, you do own the timeshare. Paying someone to get you out of it is always a bad idea. There is no "secret recipe" that the exit company has to get you out. I would google "timeshare exit scams" to understand what I am saying. If you really think this company is so good, why not tell them you will pay them AFTER they get you out. Money-back guarantees are never a good idea. Once they have your money, they have little incentive to do any work. They usually tell you to stop contact and stop paying on the timeshare. Then you go into default, the developer possesses the timeshare, and your credit is ruined. You would be better to contact the developer to deed back the timeshare, sell it, or give it away.

As an attorney, I completely agree with your advice to consult an attorney (and I appreciate the job assurance which attends such advice). If they can do it for less, hire the attorney (of course, you'd need to pay 100% upfront via a retainer). Moreover, we could not agree more: there is no "secret recipe" for exiting a timeshare. It takes tenacity and resilience, not good luck or a silver bullet. We tell our clients that they could do it themselves, likely, it just is apt to take a lot of work. That's what we get paid to do: the work to get you out. We make dozens and dozens of calls in order to fight through the gatekeepers to a decision-maker with the power and authority to approve an exit. Our team excels at getting positive results, but perhaps only as we have the resources and competence to back it up via the Viking Ship exit.

Using the wisdom of RX8, I looked up "Genius Exit" with Whois. The domain name was registered 12/20/20 in Toronto by a private 3rd party. They have glowing reviews on Trustpilot starting in February. They purport to have helped thousands exit their timeshares. ???? Really??? Seems like a very short time to have done such major work. Please note, not all posts on the review sites are from real people. Some are manufactured. You will get some good ideas from TUG members, but this company won't be one of them.

We haven't helped thousands of people exit their timeshares, nor have we claimed to: we haven't been in business for more than a year. We have extensive experience assisting consumers fight institutions for financial equity, with our team having helped thousands, but it will take a little time before we may boast of helping "thousands exit their timeshares." That being said, the methodology we rely on is tested and true, and we have the expertise to make quick work of it.

As for the balance... I registered the domain name, myself, using a standard provider, and all domain names are registered via private third parties (we can't all be ICANN). People stopped leaving personal details on whois registries during the late 90's, given that no one (who isn't trying to spam you) gets your contact details from a domain whois query.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm one of the real estate litigation attorneys (NYS Bar #4986634) who founded GeniusExit, and I'd like a chance to clear a few things up, if you'd allow me. Before I do, let me give you some background on me. I'm a trial and appellate litigator by trade, and an expert in real property law. I have over 50 published judicial opinions citing me as counsel of record, and here is my most recent appellate win, reversing the trial court (on an issue of fact, following a hearing!!!!!), http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2021/2021_02562.htm. I'd still be perfecting appeals, but-for Covid, and yet instead I was able to join forces with a legal tech company, GeniusLaw.

GeniusLaw's primary focus is aiding in the delivery of unbundled legal services for mortgage foreclosure defense, and facilitating loss mitigation efforts. We began to notice an influx of people looking for relief from their timeshare, so we investigated the industry and learned what people here already know: most exit companies are scams that do nothing for their clients except take their money and ruin their credit. At the same time, the perils of timeshare ownership may be relieved with a simple transfer of title. Thus, less than a year ago, we partitioned our timeshare resolution operations under GeniusExit as a direct subsidiary of GeniusLaw.

We know we're not winning anyone over on this forum. Many people here truly love their timeshare, and companies like GeniusExit make it more expensive, as each owner we exit increases the yearly fee for everyone left owning it. That's right: we use the Viking Ship model, which means, if your resort won't take it back, we'll exit your paid-off timeshare by transferring it out of your name. You can read @TUGBrian's critique of it here, https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/story-on-viking-ship-llc-companies.218629/#post-1688020, as he explains that the only problems he has with the Viking Ship model are that (1) that the exit companies lie about it, or (2) they take your money without doing the work. We're honest about being a Viking Ship, and we do the work (transferring a deed after reviewing CC&R et al. is child's play for someone who knows what they're doing).

It's a fact that many (if not most) in the "exit industry" simply don't do the work. Please, stay skeptical of exit companies. This industry is completely unregulated and overrun by bad actors. More to the point, we agree that the exit industry SHOULD NOT exist. It is an insult and slap in the face to both resorts and timeshare owners. We agree with Brian, in that resorts should accept paid-off timeshares, without question or objection, and without a "transfer" fee. If they did that, no one would think about paying thousands to exit a timeshare.

That being said, the fact that the exit industry exists speaks to the difficulty, if not utter impossibility, in exiting a timeshare by yourself. To be sure, if it was as simple as giving a timeshare away, who in their right mind would pay $3000 or more to help them "exit?" Nearly every client of ours tried on their own to get out, but was unable.

Nevertheless, allow me to be emphatic: before you contact GeniusExit or anyone about getting rid of your timeshare, call your resort, as there's a chance they will treat you with the respect you deserve, and take your deed back without any hassle. If that fails and you want to waste some more time, please feel free to try to resell it. When that doesn't work, meaning when the resort won't take it back and you can't give it away, then consider giving us a call. Here's the thing, most timeshares are worthless and can't be given away, but so long as you own it, they have you on the hook for maintenance fees and more. At that point, if you're not keeping it, you must either incorporate your own legal entity to accept the title, pull the land records to comply with the CC&R, draft real property instruments in recordable form, and file them with the appropriate clerk, or you hire GeniusExit to do it for you.

Sorry, my friend, but that's not how inheritance or real property law works. As all first-year law school are taught: there's no such thing as real property without an owner. If you own it at the time of your demise, it devolves to your heirs at law, automatically and immediately at the moment of death via the rules of intestacy, unless addressed in a will. This is a fancy way of saying, whether it's a farm, cottage, or timeshare ownership, any real property interest that remains in your name when you die automatically passes to your heirs (absent a will). That's just how the law works. Can you pay an attorney to handle it, instead of GeniusExit? Sure, for a mere $400+ an hour, but, either way, you still have to address the automatic vesting of that real property interest, attorney or not.

As an attorney, I completely agree with your advice to consult an attorney (and I appreciate the job assurance which attends such advice). If they can do it for less, hire the attorney (of course, you'd need to pay 100% upfront via a retainer). Moreover, we could not agree more: there is no "secret recipe" for exiting a timeshare. It takes tenacity and resilience, not good luck or a silver bullet. We tell our clients that they could do it themselves, likely, it just is apt to take a lot of work. That's what we get paid to do: the work to get you out. We make dozens and dozens of calls in order to fight through the gatekeepers to a decision-maker with the power and authority to napprove an exit. Our team excels at getting positive results, but perhaps only as we have the resources and competence to back it up via the Viking Ship exit.

We haven't helped thousands of people exit their timeshares, nor have we claimed to: we haven't been in business for more than a year. We have extensive experience assisting consumers fight institutions for financial equity, with our team having helped thousands, but it will take a little time before we may boast of helping "thousands exit their timeshares." That being said, the methodology we rely on is tested and true, and we have the expertise to make quick work of it.

As for the balance... I registered the domain name, myself, using a standard provider, and all domain names are registered via private third parties (we can't all be ICANN). People stopped leaving personal details on whois registries during the late 90's, given that no one (who isn't trying to spam you) gets your contact details from a domain whois query.
Utter comedy. You doth protest too much, methinks.

And, do tell, who is adizzle?

Last edited:

Austin1981

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Utter comedy. You doth protest too much, methinks.

And, do tell, who is adizzle?

You caught us! We were certain that inexplicable three-week delay in our response would throw people off our scent, yet here we are... @adizzle kindly remit a full refund for those shilling services, please. Otherwise, we'll have no alternative but to express our marked displeasure in a review on Yelp! and/or TrustPilot.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
As an attorney myself, I think you're puffing or embellishing with these statements. The laws of intestate WRT to TS inheritance differ from to state to state. It's puffing and embellishing when you say that children inherit their parents' TS in most situations. At least in NY, as you know, the executor of an NY estate can decide what to do with burdened real property. He/she can decide to let it go into foreclosure, and the unsecured portion of the foreclosure balance might get discharged or stripped-off. Of course, the creditor of the foreclosure balance might choose to go after the estate assets. Once the estate closes, are you saying the TS companies can still go after the children?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
That's right: we use the Viking Ship model, which means, if your resort won't take it back, we'll exit your paid-off timeshare by transferring it out of your name.

So you transfer the timeshare to another entity with the full intention of letting it default and go into
foreclosure and you consider yourself an “ethical” company.

I am no attorney but this sounds illegal at worst, unethical at best.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1) It's clear that @Austin1981 isn't running a TS scam. He's upfront and honest about using the viking ship model, which is legal, although most of us will probably disagree with the ethics. My question for him is if resorts reject the transfer to a company (which they have been increasingly doing particularly Diamond, soon to be Hilton Vacation Club, and Westgate), what happens to the $3k? I know you did the legal work and attempted transfer, but you didn't get the result the client wants. I suppose you still bill them $3k for the legal work.
2) I think it's puffing and embellishing that if @Austin1981 persuades clients to retain the firm with the reasoning that their children will inherit the burdened TS. Intestate laws differ state from state. Even in NY, the executor can simply let the burdened TS foreclose, although the creditor of the TS foreclosure balance can go after the estate assets in probate court. Unless children foolishly inherit the TS (which the OP may have done), children have no legal obligation to inherit their parents' burdened real property.

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So you transfer the timeshare to another entity with the full intention of letting it default and go into
foreclosure and you consider yourself an “ethical” company.

I am no attorney but this sounds illegal at worst, unethical at best.
It's not illegal, although people may disagree about the ethics.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My advice to @Austin1981 . Although not for GeniusLaw, you have done great legal work, for which I respect and envy. My advice is to get out of the TS exit game. Just like for DC Capital Law, Best Defense Law Team, Alan Campbell Law LLC, Castle Law Group, Molfetta Law, Del Mar Law Group, Carlsband Law Group, Privett Law, SGB Law, Michael Finn Law, etc, the resorts will eventually sue Genius Exit. Possibly Diamond, soon to be Marriott Vacation Club, or Westgate may sue Genius Exit. That's a lot of lost time and money spent litigating those lawsuits.

Diamond Resorts sues Lake Mary timeshare cancellation attorney - Orlando Sentinel
Diamond Resorts & Timeshare Owners Warn of Newton Group & DC Capital Law's Timeshare 'Exit' Scams
Resort company sues local lawyer over timeshare exits | Legal | nashvillepost.com
Diamond Resorts Files Lawsuit Against Timeshare Freedom Group, Molfetta Law & Others in Timeshare 'Cancellation' Ring for Allegedly Scamming Consumers (yahoo.com)
Diamond Resorts : Files New Claims Against Carlsbad Law Group, Timeshare Compliance & Resort Advocacy Group for Operating Nationwide Consumer Scam (marketscreener.com)
Timeshare Company-v- Lawyers US Motion to Dismiss denied (in part) | TETLI - The European Timeshare Law Institute (tetli-institute.com)
Orange Lake, Diamond Resorts sue timeshare cancellation attorney - Orlando Sentinel

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I made the mistake of writing “NEVER PAY UPFRONT TO GET RID OF YOUR TIMESHARE” in the comments on FB ads for TS Exit Companies.
Now… I get tons of them - and blocked from commenting on a few.
Hopefully, I helped a few from being scammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made the mistake of writing “NEVER PAY UPFRONT TO GET RID OF YOUR TIMESHARE” in the comments on FB ads for TS Exit Companies.
Now… I get tons of them - and blocked from commenting on a few.
Hopefully, I helped a few from being scammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You did the right thing. I steered an owner to using Diamond Transitions, instead of paying Wesley $3k and got blocked from Wesley.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
This is a better read than some threads in the Covid sub-forum.

And Hey- I live in Ontario Canada - where weed is legal and getting a haircut is not
(currently) legal.

-So there is always lots of business opportunities for lawyers besides running a TS exit company.