• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

General Usage Advice Please

danrucker3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings my fellow Tuggers. This is my first post and I have some questions, but first let me give some background:

Background: My wife and I purchased at TVV in January 2007; before you all start blasting me and in my defense, I didn't know about TUG until after I purchased. Luckily, this purchase allowed me access to Interval International. All things being equal, I'm happy with it.
Later year We went on a tour of Bonnet Creek in Orlando (once again, remember I hadn't found TUG yet), We purchased and then the next day the buyer's remorse set in. Searching on the Internet I stumbled across TUG, and started researching. Needless to say, I sent in the remission immediately! Interestingly enough, I am still a member of RCI until November.
Just today Interval International sent me two Resort Accommodation certificates (I imagine one for each week).
So, I now have the following with II: two banked weeks (2007, 2008), two Resort Accommodation certificates and one four day "Owners Update" in Orlando, which I think is a thinly disguised sales presentation.
I have given up my dream of buying an RV (after I won the lottery) in place of the more realistic dream of occasional high end vacations at a timeshare.

Now comes my questions:
1. After looking at the RCI program, I really like their points plan. I like their last call trips for what, 9K points? Without being a resort owner, what is the best (interpreted as cheapest) way to gain access to the points system without crazy maintenance fees?

2. What is the best use of accommodating both RCI and II programs? What can these Resort Accommodation Certificates be used for?

3. Usage suggestions?

Just my rambling thoughts; Thanks for everyone's help. :shrug:

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Welcome, Dan and Cels!

Rest easy knowing that many of us discovered TUG after our 1st timeshare purchase ... but be warned that addictions are fed and encouraged here. ("Just one more week ... ")

For the past many years we've used both II and RCI (Weeks). Our main use of II was to trade into a specific family of resorts that were II-only. We kept RCI as two of our timeshares don't use II. We've booked great trades through both -- as well as the occasional rental week (Bonus Vacations, Getaways, etc).

Accommodation certificates are used like your banked weeks. They may have restrictions on locations or dates. Read the certificates and/or call II for details. Watch the expiration dates of all of your weeks and book your exchanges accordingly. FWIW, I tend to consider the ACs as near freebies and use them for vacations that may involve more "quality risk" than I might normally accept for my banked weeks. Translation: I'll don't mind trying a lower-grade resort or less exciting location when using an AC vs banked week.

I'm not a fan of RCI Points -- but do search this site for info on the 3-year lease programs. This would allow you access to RCI points w/out a long-term commitment.

-- Rhonda

PS: RV prices are dropping like crazy ... and a small RV is a fun travel vehicle for touring National Parks and the timeshares near them. ;)

danrucker3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good information

Thanks for the great information.:whoopie: I (we) are pretty excited to get the ball finally rolling on time sharing. Thanks for answering my questions - Any more suggestions regarding how best to utilize the RCI membership is appreciated.

Have a great day,
Dan

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any more suggestions regarding how best to utilize the RCI membership is appreciated.

Have a great day,
Dan

Welcome Dan, Do a search for 'leased RCI Points' Others here have had success with this whereas you get a 3 year lease and pay your MF for the points, when (and if) you want out, just quit paying. As to the 9k point weeks, yes, they exist, but you won't be getting prime stuff. Think 'mud season' at ski resorts, rainy humidity season in Mexico, and you won't need to worry about having a lot of choice during school vacation time. We've had some truly enjoyable off season getaways but you need some sense of flexibility.

Jim Ricks

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Any more suggestions regarding how best to utilize the RCI membership is appreciated.
Dan,

You don't presently have any weeks banked or available to RCI, right? As such, I'm thinking the best use of your RCI membership is for snagging rental weeks. Be sure to spend some time combing through the Vacation Offers or taking advantage of rental car discount offers, etc.

danrucker3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dan,

You don't presently have any weeks banked or available to RCI, right? As such, I'm thinking the best use of your RCI membership is for snagging rental weeks.

Rhonda,
I think you are dead on with that one! I was reviewing the vactions listing as you suggested, and I think that is how I will use it. Thanks so much for the advice!!!
- Dan

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome Dan, Do a search for 'leased RCI Points' Others here have had success with this whereas you get a 3 year lease and pay your MF for the points, when (and if) you want out, just quit paying. As to the 9k point weeks, yes, they exist, but you won't be getting prime stuff. Think 'mud season' at ski resorts, rainy humidity season in Mexico, and you won't need to worry about having a lot of choice during school vacation time. We've had some truly enjoyable off season getaways but you need some sense of flexibility.

Jim Ricks
Here's the latest link for info on the 3-year lease

weh8625

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points lease costs

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a points membership on Ebay for $1, and then sell 3 years later if you don't like it?

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a points membership on Ebay for $1, and then sell 3 years later if you don't like it?
If you can buy it for $1 with closing costs of $299 (many TS closing costs on eBay greatly exceed $299), then you'd only save $98 over the first three years. You'd still have to pay for the RCI membership and MFs.
If you buy one and assuming you can sell it (even for $1) three years later, then you need to go jump through all hoops of the resale. It's something that some people would rather not do.