• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gem State scenic route

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google tells me that it is about 8 hours drive time if I take the scenic route along western Idaho from Boise through Grangeville, Lewiston, Moscow, etc up to Coeur d'Alene. We are thinking of taking this detour next September. Thoughts? Things to consider? Is eight hours long enough? We don't plan to stop and hike, etc. Just wanted something different than interstate boredom. TIA.

"And here we have Idaho, winning her way to fame. Silver and gold in the sunlight blaze, and romance lies in her name. Singing, singing of you . . . . "

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely a pretty drive. Right out of Boise, assuming you take highway 55, you'll pick up the Payette River. Then you'll hit the resort areas of Cascade and McCall. Then the Salmon River up near Riggins towards Grangeville. As you go further north, you'll hit the rolling hills and grain fields and then into the gorgeous area near Coeur d'Alene. I'd definitely recommend highway 55 as compared to highway 95 in route to New Meadows.

If you're alternative route is to take I84 thru eastern Oregon into the tri-cities area of WA, then I'd highly suggest taking the western ID route. The other way isn't bad, it's just that there's some pretty desolate parts just outside of Boise and then again around Hermiston, OR.

I'd say 8 hours is probably pretty accurate if you include some short stops (catching vistas, potty breaks, etc), meaning you can do it in less if you are in a hurry.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Elan.