• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gay Friendly Timeshare- Palm Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niche

Reaction score
Beautiful Palm Beach Resort considering repositioining itself to Gay Friendly.

Do you feel there is a market?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I see that you work in the industry, and I see that you feature a Palm Beach Resort on your website. What is your objective in posting this question?

TUG is a very conservative website - I'm not sure this is the right venue for your question.

Also - I deleted your other 4 posts - duplicate posts are not permitted on TUG.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think the bigger question is, how do the existing owners feel about this change? I know the owners at the old Debbie Reynolds resort in Las Vegas about had kittens when the new management team/owner proposed converting it to a WWF themed resort.

Before attempting to make big changes like this, you should consider that the owners are individuals who own each week. Such a big change is likely to resort in strong pushback from the existing, maintenance fee paying, ownership. I know I'd push back HARD for any HOA/BOD who wanted to make such a niche change in any resort I owned.

This is not a new resort. Such a material change for exisiting owners without their permission could cause legal issues as well.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I can't speak to how much of a market there is for gay friendly resorts (and I didn't realize that TUG was a "very conservative website")...but I was looking for something recently for my sister and her family thru RCI and there was availability at The Gardens in Orlando. I knew it wasn't the right destinattion for my sister and her family because the description says "alternative lifestyle resort that caters primarily to gay and lesbian guests". But it seems there is some market for it.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I too didn't realize 'TUG is a very conservative website'. If so, perhaps I should find another venue for my posts? While I'm not sure of the op's intent, Denise's came across clear as a bell.

I would like an answer please, as to whether or not I, and the other gay/lesbian TUG members, are welcome here or if we should be finding another venue for our timeshare related questions.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I personally dont care what your sexual orientation is...denise probably doesnt either. All are welcome at TUG.

I however do believe that a conversation about gay vs straight etc (which seemed to be the idea behind this post)...most certainly falls under the "controversial social topics" rule everyone agreed to when registering here =)

and is most likely what was meant by denise's post.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know there were timeshare that WEREN'T gay friendly? Have any of you guys ever been turned away at check in because the other person sharing your room is the same sex? I don't know how they'd know if someone was gay or not, unless you straight out announced it...or why they'd care even if you did

I'm not gay, but being as liberal as i am, i don't know that in good conscience i could support a timeshare that's bias against any people

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, clearly we have members of the LGBT community among us so I think the short answer is we encourage and promote timeshare exchange conversations (at least I hope so). I do appreciate acknowledgements that some resorts are "clothing optional" or have other designations but, while I may look at a question about a resort in Florida and read some of the comments, I haven't been and probably don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation so, I don't. :ignore: Oftentimes we get OP remarks and never hear from them again but, I would agree with Doug; if the ownership supports the change then do it!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
These days, any resort that would brand itself as gay unfriendly would be asking for failure. Same with cruise lines, restaurants, or any other upscale leisure facility. Clientele orientation just isn't- or shouldn't be- an issue.

I also wasn't aware that TUG was conservative. Shucks, I've even seen discussions of Priuses and NPR here! :)

Jim Ricks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm sorry - I botched that.

The OP posted the same post 5 times. Since the referenced resort is featured prominently on their commercial webpage, it seems to me that their posts were meant to stir up interest, rather than to actually ask a question. TUG does have conservative posting rules, and asking a provocative question to promote your own business does not fit in with those rules.

My apologies to those that I offended - that was not my intention.

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Thank you for your clarification and apology, Denise. I would like to say that there *are* still places that aren't friendly to minorities, and that all alternative-lifestyle leaning resorts aren't nudist sex clubs. Certain areas, such as Provincetown, MA and Key West, FL are welcoming, but other locations such as Jamaica are most definitely not. The OP's question (had he/she not spammed it) is valid, and I don't see anything wrong with asking it (once). It's like asking if an area should open more resorts for families or for adults-only.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how they'd know if someone was gay or not, unless you straight out announced it...

Sometimes it is the children of gay parents who do the announcing. Our friends 2 year old calls one parent Mamma and the other parent Mummy.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that it would be a good idea to market a resort that way. I have lots of friends who are gay couples. Some have kids and others don't. They seem to do the same things that we do on vacation and one couple owns a timeshare already.

I also think that TUG is a great place for OP to ask such a question. It doesn't seem different than any resort owner asking for feedback here.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a stupid question and to demonstrate how stupid, just substitute the names of any other resort and group in the OPs question

as

Beautiful (pick the name) Resort is considering repositioining itself to be White People Friendly.

or

Beautiful (pick the name) Resort is considering repositioining itself to beChristian Friendly.

or

Beautiful (pick the name) Resort is considering repositioining itself to be Republican Friendly.

Do you feel there is a market?

The problem in catering to any one group whether it be religious, racial, political, sexual, etc is that you are limiting your market. It seems to me when the bad debt expense at so many resorts is approaching 20% that we should be promoting a more inclusive approach rather than exclusive.

To answer the ops question directly...No,

I dont think there are enough people in any minority group with an interest in timeshares that a resort can limit their market to that group and be successful

Having said that there will be some weeks at some resorts that will tend to be segregated in one way or another, because of whats going on in the community around them. For example: If you are not an Alabama or LSU football fan you will probably feel left out in New Orleans resorts in week 1, 2012.(BCS) and if you are not Gay, you will probably feel uncomfortable) there in week 35, (Southeren Decadence Festival). If you dont ride; Daytona may be the wrong place for you March 9-18, 2012 (Bike Week)

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? TUG is a conservative venue and others need not apply mentality is offensive.

I see that you work in the industry, and I see that you feature a Palm Beach Resort on your website. What is your objective in posting this question?

TUG is a very conservative website - I'm not sure this is the right venue for your question.

Also - I deleted your other 4 posts - duplicate posts are not permitted on TUG.

I personally dont care what your sexual orientation is...denise probably doesnt either. All are welcome at TUG.

I however do believe that a conversation about gay vs straight etc (which seemed to be the idea behind this post)...most certainly falls under the "controversial social topics" rule everyone agreed to when registering here =)

and is most likely what was meant by denise's post.

I'm sorry - I botched that.

The OP posted the same post 5 times. Since the referenced resort is featured prominently on their commercial webpage, it seems to me that their posts were meant to stir up interest, rather than to actually ask a question. TUG does have conservative posting rules, and asking a provocative question to promote your own business does not fit in with those rules.

My apologies to those that I offended - that was not my intention.

Wow! I read this post and found it insulting and just plain ignorant to have a moderator state what was clearly an outright exclusion of the gay community by TUG.
Brian may know you well enough to speak on your behalf, but you clearly stated how you felt and I think that says more about you then it did about the original poster.
Your apology which reiterates TUG's 'conservative' rules is noted, but to have moderators that clearly stigmatize and exclude members of a non-political forum is just ignorant whether you agree or not with a persons sexual orientation.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Whether its conservative posting rules or conservative posters with latent "Anita Bryant" tendancies, there is frankly, a noticable predominance of upper-middle class, mainstream thought on TUG that, IMHO, reflects more of a bias toward social conformity, than anything else. Communities and those in power simply tend to cast out those who stray from the norm.

------------------------
"Since the early 1990s, the Palm Beaches have secured tons of rights for the LGBT community, including the oldest gay rights ordinances in effect in Florida. Laws that include affirmative action, housing anti-discrimination and domestic partnership are a part of what makes the Palm Beaches so attractive to the LGBT community." -- http://www.tripouttravel.com

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether its conservative posting rules or conservative posters with latent "Anita Bryant" tendancies, there is frankly, a noticable predominance of upper-middle class, mainstream thought on TUG that, IMHO, reflects more of a bias toward social conformity, than anything else. Communities and those in power simply tend to cast out those who stray from the norm.

Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full?....You see a bias toward social conformity, I see a bias against those that dont fit in perfectly. I am always watching what I say; self censoring what I post, so as to not upset the apple cart and as you say, be cast out by those in power here. . But thats the price we pay to participate "You have to go along to get along"....I am sure many of the folks here and I would choose not to associate each other outside of this group. I suspect Denise and some others would be revolted by my very presence were we to meet outside of this discussion group and they were to learn how I really think. But on the subject of timeshares, we are able to "go along to get along", to share and learn from one another on this rather narrow, not too important topic (timesharing)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know that I can say anything that will make a difference at this point, but I am California High School Teacher and as such, I work with, and teach, and respect, people from every walk of life.

As a TUG Moderator, I am guided by the posting rules:

Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues
Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

I think conservative was the wrong word to use - I didn't meant to imply any political or social affiliation. I meant the traditional use of the word conservative.

Again, my apologies, I will be more sensitive in the future.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the question: yes, there are gay timeshare resorts, already in the Palm Desert area. Just as there are clothes optional and nude timeshare resorts and even timeshare resorts oriented to the swingers lifestyle. Just look around in timeshare country and contact them. There is a market for everything but some markets are smaller than others. With a good marketing strategy and PR in the right niches you can have success.

Niche

Reaction score
Niche Resorts

Denise I apologize for posting 5 different times. Having never posted on any forum ever, I did not know which one would be best.

Having said that my question is sincere. I believe the future in timeshare for smaller resorts is catering to specific niches. Gay friendly or Alnernative Lifestyle is just a few.

I have considered and talked about this for about ten years now and I am looking for a little more feedback before I start marketing.

Thanks for your feedback.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise I apologize for posting 5 different times. Having never posted on any forum ever, I did not know which one would be best.

Having said that my question is sincere. I believe the future in timeshare for smaller resorts is catering to specific niches. Gay friendly or Alnernative Lifestyle is just a few.

I have considered and talked about this for about ten years now and I am looking for a little more feedback before I start marketing.

Thanks for your feedback.

You are in the Palm Beach area. There are gay timeshare resorts over there. Just contact them and see how they are doing. And there are lots of gay resorts anyway in the USA. You can find them under Specialty lodging on Tripadvisor.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I can say anything that will make a difference at this point, but I am California High School Teacher and as such, I work with, and teach, and respect, people from every walk of life.

As a TUG Moderator, I am guided by the posting rules:

I think conservative was the wrong word to use - I didn't meant to imply any political or social affiliation. I meant the traditional use of the word conservative.

Again, my apologies, I will be more sensitive in the future.

Thanks for the second post and apology Denise - I know you do an awful lot for this Board and keeping out advertisers and promoters is important.

"Conservative" is definately not the word to use (and unfortunately without getting into politics - it is a "lightning rod" type of word wherever you happen to be on the spectrum - again not interested in the answer to where TUGGERS happen to be on the spectrum as that is POLITICS.

However, if I had thought that this was a "conservative" site, I would not be going on over 1,500 plus posts. Funtime

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wouldn't be against a few more "singles friendly" timeshare resorts, if your looking for more niches.

I wouldn't be against a few more "no children allowed" resorts.
... Whether they be minors or adult children of my DW. :ignore:
... But I accept that separate BR's is a big draw for those w- rug rats in tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.