• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gatlinburg - Best time

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Looking for opinions as to when would be the best time to look at trading into Gatlinburg.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would think it depends on what you are looking for. Gatlinburg is popular with families during the summer. There are lots of family friendly things to do. Pools and waterparks are going to be open during the summer. Fall is a popular time during leaf season. If you don't have to follow the school schedule there is still a lot to do and nice weather but less crowded and easier to exchange in late August through September before the leaves change. Weekends during leaf season would be the busiest so weekdays depending on how you are exchanging may be easier or less expensive. December is popular but cold. January-May is probably a slower time.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We are not constrained by school schedules and actually prefer off or shoulder seasons.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would vote for fall. Crowds are gone and the weather is nice. If you can get leaf season then it is fantastic. Cool nights and nice days.

edited to say spring is great too. The greens are fantastic. Just stay away from mud or stick season. Late fall and early spring.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both of us are retired, and we have been to Gatlinburg twice. Once at the beginning and once at the end of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. Both times we visited in September. Perfect for us. Kids are back to school. Weather is still warm. Crowds are still good. But things like the Aquarium and Dolly's dinner show are easy to get in to. The one thing that's missing is the leaf change. But we live in upstate NY so we get plenty of leaf changes. :)

But, oh, the traffic. I can't believe what it is like in the summer. I'm not a traffic guy.

Reactions: DrQ

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We were there the first week of June. Everything was open but, the crowds were still small. No long car lines in the National Park, restaurants weren’t jammed yet and the weather was warm. But, that was over 11 years ago.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
<snip>

But, oh, the traffic. I can't believe what it is like in the summer. I'm not a traffic guy.

Then stay away the Friday after Thanksgiving. It took us over two hours to get from the Knifeworks back to Wyndham Smoky Mountains because of people trying to get into the outlet mall.

Summers are probably like that all day, every day.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Spring is glorious here. Fall is beautiful, but it is really hard to time the leaf color, so I would choose Spring over Fall. September can be pretty hot, if you're not a fan of the heat and humidity. Winter is becoming more popular. Dollywood stayed open this year through 1/5/19 and the weather the last couple of weekends was perfect for a visit.

Even though we are local, we use our GPS to avoid some of the traffic when we are in the tourist area. The area around the outlet mall can be really crazy, but there are various routes to stay away from it. Going to Tanger is the running joke with the men in our family. When we really do it, sometimes it isn't so bad, but usually it is a good way to spoil a nice day. They really need a parking garage.

Sheila