• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Future of Tradewinds

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Attached is the annual maintenance letter that was sent out yesterday. I have no complaints about paying the maintenance.

We've been Tradewinds members for nearly 20 years, and have fond memories of all of the trips we've taken and friends we've made and are looking forward to future trips to come. (Next up is Croatia.)

But I have a sense of unease about the future of Tradewinds, largely because we have never received any financial information and so have no idea about the financial condition of the company. Tradewinds suffered terrible damage from Hurricane Irma and to a lesser extent from Hurricane Dorian. We've seen the company try to reinvent itself by emphasizing more luxury and asking members to buy the boats and lease them to Tradewinds. We've seen the company create different classes of cabins, so some boats now have premium cabins.

Tradewind's demographics are changing as the original members age. I believe that Tradewinds will be able to attract younger members. I think the post-Covid climate might actually make a Tradewinds membership and trip more attractive because of the small number of crew and passengers.

There are members whose trips have been cancelled and whose memberships are expiring soon. I believe that Tradewinds will do the right thing in determining how to handle that.

But the total absence of any financial information is very troubling. I've mentioned this to the captains when they speak to us about re-upping, and have never gotten a satisfactory response. It would be nice to know whether Tradewinds has the reserves to remain in business during the pandemic and to continue to operate without significant sales of new memberships.

Attachments

• Doc8.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 32

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm with you. We only bought points for one more sailing so it's not a ton of money, but that is the only timeshare related expense that I am concerned about losing. We were able to move our trip from this past May to November 2021 but the $64k question is whether or not they will be around. There's a good facebook group for Tradewinds in case you are on FB. I have seen some other posts about this, but of course, no one knows. I sure hope that they are able to hang in there. It was the best trip that we have ever been on, hands down.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
There is nothing in that letter that indicates that there are financial problems. This is the normal time when tradewinds asks for MFs. Nothing about it seems unusual to me. Just Magnus and Edith sending out their usual letter.

But with little AI revenue and new sales coming in, I am sure they will be happy with the cash influx. They have office staff to pay. But they have slightly less boat maintenance and operations to pay.

They have new boats and boats with premium owners cabins because they have a yacht purchase program, similar to Moorings. Those owners pick the layout and the name of the yacht. So those owners have picked the owners suite configuration.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is nothing in that letter that indicates that there are financial problems. This is the normal time when tradewinds asks for MFs. Nothing about it seems unusual to me. Just Magnus and Edith sending out their usual letter.

I'm not saying that there are financial problems. I'm saying that it is unfortunate that we have no information about the finances of this timeshare.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I'm not saying that there are financial problems. I'm saying that it is unfortunate that we have no information about the finances of this timeshare.
We have NEVER received a financial statement. But it is a CLUB not a timeshare. It is a different model.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
But it is a CLUB not a timeshare. It is a different model.

Agreed - and all the more reason one might be concerned. Unlike a timeshare, there is no Board with a fiduciary duty to ensure maintenance, upkeep and continued ability for members to utilize the "points" they purchased. No duty to ensure there is a budget with expenses outlined and some assurance that "maintenance fees" are used in accordance with a reviewed budget. I have no idea if Tradewinds is in any sort of trouble - however, it is obvious that every other travel provider is in some sort of distress and has needed to find cash somewhere.

And while I agree that the letter doesn't sound unusual at all given this is the normal time of year for their maintenance fees to come out, if I were Tradewinds, I might be a) very anxious to ensure as much money comes in as possible and b) anxious that the current economic situation and fact that Tradewinds cruises are still suspended was likely to increase the amount of "defaults" on maintenance fees.